1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7th Ed. Very very new and I need help

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Miyozaki, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Miyozaki
    Skink

Miyozaki New Member

As the title states, I'm new to fantasy and I haven't bought a rulebook yet because the new one is out in 5 days. I haven't started my army yet, but I am set on Lizardmen when I do (I will probably buy the Battle Force box on Friday).

Question 1: The Codex states that I cannot take a Lord in an army under 2000 points, yet I have seen Slann listed in armies that are slightly under and I was a little confused by it?
    **Answered by White Dwarf: New rules have made this infinitely clearer although not entirely better. To take Kroq-Gar you would need to field an army worth over 2500 points.

Question 2: I can't find anywhere in the book that says how to distinguish the difference between a Gen 1-5 Slann, but I have seen it mentioned on multiple boards. Could someone help me out with that?

Question 3: Spears, Yes or No?
    **Answered: looked through all the boards and found that people believe they're worth the extra point, even in the new rules for Saurus Warriors.

Question 4: Does preferred enemy still exist? My friend seems to think that when I start playing his Skaven will have a bonus against me but I couldn't find this anywhere.

I will post more as and when I can think of them. I will also post my proposed team and ask for some feedback, but I'll do that in the correct forum.

Any general help will also be appreciated. I will be going over the boards and seeking a lot of these answers for myself, but who better to ask than the players themselves?

Thank you for your time.

2. Portent of Far
    Skink

Portent of Far New Member

While I can't anser all your questions, I can tell you that the Slann generations are an older edition, and are no longer in the game, and instead we choose the disciplines now, which allows us more freedom in our Slann's abilities.

The optimum choice of spears or hand weapons are to do with the size of ranks, but unless you're playing competitively either would work just as well.

Kroq-gar needing a 2500 point army is to do with the percentage restrictions, as his points cost wouldn't be able to exceed 25% of the alloted points, essentially restricting him to larger armies.
    So long as your lord is less than 25%, they can now be taken in smaller armies.

Hope this helped!

3. Miyozaki
    Skink

Miyozaki New Member

Well I'm planning on a couple of 18 strong Saurus Warrior squads. Would 3 rows of 6 be any good? Once again I've never played this game, so I'm looking for any help I can get.

Also, if I took a team of 18 and upgraded 3 of them (Bearer, Musician and Champion) do I still add spears to those three?

4. msinosic
    Kroxigor

msinosic New Member

The Commannd Group is always armed exactly the same as the unit. There is an exception to this in that some Champions (our Temple Guard for example) can also wield a Magic Weapon.

If you are planning to give them Spears then this is probably the minimum amount you would want to take. In 8th edition the first, second (support attacks) and third (spears) rows will be able to attack. If you take any wounds/casualties before getting into combat from shooting or magic then you are loosing potential attacks.

Many people will take a few extra Saurus in the 4th and even 5th row (this might be excessive) as a buffer against the above mentioned ranged attacks so when you do make it into combat you will be attacking at 100%!

5. Miyozaki
    Skink

Miyozaki New Member

This is very nice advice, thank you. Keep it coming. I'd like to at least put up a fight against my friend.