1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7th Ed. Vs. New Dark Elves

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by Pinkus, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Pinkus
    Saurus

Pinkus New Member

Anyone play this army yet with any success?

I played them once and it was a ridiculous failure on my part. Certain builds can get like 20+ casting dice and 96+ bolt shots a turn.

2. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

Never played them, and only played against them once.

3. freakndell
    Saurus

freakndell New Member

That's my second army! I'm building it right now!
    I already have the new book (bought the spearhead!).
    You can really build magic/shooting armies....
    With a lvl 4 sorceress (or morathi) and 2 lvl 2 sorceresses, plus magic items...
    some units (say 3) of dark riders with rxbow) and 2 or 3 units of 10 rxbmen....Those alone a good for 90 shots per shooting phase!!

Needles to say those caster will produce enough PD, with the new free spell that generates PD and some items that do...It can get nasty!

Not to mention the new hydra...7 str. 5 atks (hatred) and the handlers produce 3 atks each (2 handlers) also with hatred! And his breathweapon is as strong as the wounds it got left! (He begins with 5 wounds!!)

You will have to be fast! A slow moving army (SW anyone) will get shot to pieces before it's there!)

But then again, they all have toughness 3 (e4xcept the hydra...) So the will drop like flies!
    It's an army that wins or loses within the movement phase...mistakes hurt! bad!!

4. SohCahToa
    Kroxigor

SohCahToa New Member

Yes, Saurus heavy armies will have great difficulty dealing with the new Dark Elves. However, it is not nearly as difficult to adjust your strategy when facing Dark Elves, as they did not gain the benefit of ASF. Hatred is an amazing ability, but it can be more easily exploited (think sacrificial skink units) to draw the DE out of position.

Big things to be wary about are the new shades (which can wield GW or double HW), and the power dice potential of even the lowliest of sorceresses.

That said, the biggest thing to worry about, and where the Dark Elves will gain their greatest strength from, are their magic items. The Ring of Hotek now is protects everthing within its range rather than just the bearer. The Dark Elves have a ward save that is made if the roll is below the attack's strength. There is a cloak which has a bound steed of shadows. Then there are a myriad of new items that can potentially change a game such as Hydra teeth and a number of new banners (think ASF, and no stupidity for cold ones). Oh, and there is a dagger that can be used to sacrifice your opponents own troops (mmmmmmm)

The nature of the Druchii has not changed, so shooty/magic armies will still not be nearly as effective as the mobile assault forces. The problem simply becomes that now every unit is better at its job, meaning that the Druchii are no longer the finesse army of old :depressed: .

5. freakndell
    Saurus

freakndell New Member

I can only agree with you that hatred is a different ability then ASF. The Druchii recieved 1 banner that gives the unit ASF. (Although shadowblade or any other assassin will still strike first against everything and everybody, unless they can top Initiative 10...Thank you High Elves faq ) The cold-blooded banner is a one time only banner. That Dagger on the other hand is NASTY!!

Shooting/magic armies can be strong (just take a look at skave S.A.D. armies). But the real power of the Druchii must be manouverability (Did i write that good....it look fuzzy)...Dark riders for example.

I have only one thing to say to the remark of Dark Elves being not the finesse army of Old....no ASF and T3!

6. SohCahToa
    Kroxigor

SohCahToa New Member

True enough :D . I guess Im just not used to playing against a dark elf army where they can out magic me ;)

7. freakndell
    Saurus

freakndell New Member

true indeed, they will still have a tough time vs a 2nd gen Slann!
    Not even the best Caster (morathi or Malekith) can go toe to toe with a slann...(Although the shield Malekith is wearing is Nasty as Hell)
    But they can whip up enough PD to be nasty! (Not as much though as a pimped up VC army can!)

I'm not use to playing with the druchii, but am looking forward to playing games with them!

8. Apollo3
    Skink

Apollo3 New Member

I've heard a lot of rumblings about the new DE as is usual for every new army release. Most of it was directed at their new magic items which, as you guys have pointed out, can have some nasty combinations and effects. I'm not really worried about hatred because it is pretty easy to exploit as a weakness. If you play against DE regularly you will quickly learn how to do this. Can't wait for my first match against them!

9. Kovash
    Skink

Kovash New Member

The main thing I am worried about is their magic and bolt throwers, they can tear up a unit pretty fast

10. FACEY
    Skink

FACEY New Member

im versing them tomoro in a 1000 point game. im going for two priests, 42 skinks all with blowpipes, stegadon and 3 kroxigor. ill tell u how it goes. :)

11. freakndell
    Saurus

freakndell New Member

good luck dude!

12. Smithyramfan
    Skink

Smithyramfan New Member

I've got a friend who is gettin the new DE the ideas here will really help when I vs him... i'VE NEVER BEATEN HIM EVER!!!! ...EVER!!!!

13. Daeghrefn
    Saurus

Daeghrefn New Member

I've had a small amount of experience with the new DE army on the 1,000 point scale. Couple of games, won them both - but both victories were due to tactical errors on the part of my opponent, who just recently picked up the battalion box. Once she figures out how to properly protect the priestess I don't quite know how to win. I thought about putting a pair of skink priests in the list (as the previous poster is doing) but I am concerned about not having Scar Vets to deal with characters and assassins. Their massive power dice pool combined with the lore of dark magic is just crazy, and thier shooters are not slacking off at all.

I'm going to play another 1k game tonight, will post how it goes in a bit.

My list:
    General: Saurus Scar Vet
    Sword of Battle
    Enchanted Shield

Embedded with -
    Saurus Warriors x 19, full command group

JSOD
    Glyph Necklace
    Charm of the Jaguar Warrior

Skink Skirmishers x10
    blowpipes

Kroxigor x 3

Salamander x 3

The DE list:

General: Master
    Crimson Death
    Armor of Darkness

Embedded with - Black Ark Corsairs x18, full command plus assassin
    Extra hand weapons
    Banner of Murder

Sorceress
    level 2 upgrade
    Sacrificial Dagger

Embedded with - Dark Elf Warriors x 12, with champion

Cold One Knights x 5

Dark Elf Repeater Crossbowmen x 16, with shields

My strategy is to move into combat asap, relying on the superior lizardmen troops to route thier combat formations. We'll see if my luck holds out - the saurus block seems particularly vulnerable to dark magic. :shifty: