1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Walters' paint blog [5th edition Lizardmen + Empire]

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Walters, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Walters
    Saurus

Walters Well-Known Member

Last year I decided to start playing Warhammer again, settling on the 6th edition rules together with a friend of mine (painting a Slaneesh themed warriors of Chaos army). The army of choice for me was Lizardmen, since I had an army of them back in the 7th edition.

For this project I chose to go back to the 5th edition models, since I am very fond of them, and never had them before. The only exception being the Slann Mage-priest, but I am thinking of getting hold of the old version too just for fun.

So far I have the Slann, 1 skink priest, 1 block of 20 saurus warriors, another block of 20 waiting to be assembled, 1 block of 20 temple guard (I really like these!), 20 skinks with bows (will play them as using blowpipes), 3 kroxigors, 2 salamander hunting packs, and 1 stegadon.

I have finished the kroxigors and the Slann - but will go back and touch up the banner. The first block of warriors is underway. Nothing original paintwise really, I like the light bluish theme going with the darker scales. For the skinks I am thinking of a lighter green with orange crests - inspired by the GW ones featured in the 5th edition armybook.

Here are some pictures of the progress so far:

Kroxigors 4.jpg
    Saurus warriors WIP 2.jpg
    Saurus warriors WIP.jpg
    Slann 4.jpg

I am looking forward to getting some paint on the temple guards. I like the miniatures and I am glad that I managed to get 20 of them. It was quite tricky to have them rank up (had to twist some tails) but the unit looks very neat with the Slann among the guards. The revered guardian will be painted as an old one with white scales - having guarded the Slann for very very long, and I will always have it challenge the champions and heroes of Chaos in battle, even though it gamewise might not always be the wisest move!
    Slann and temple guard WIP (1).jpg

2. Croco Guard
    Cold One

Croco Guard Well-Known Member

I certainly like our new less brutish look from later miniatures, but I began the hobby staring at all these guys in books for hours. I originally owned about 4 saurus, one krox, skink bowmen, and a skink chief from this era, but recently picked up more oldies myself. Glad to see some getting painted up well.

3. Walters
    Saurus

That is nice to read! For me it was something similar, back in the day I was wondering how to get these miniatures since they were featured in the 6th edition rulebook, while I could only get myself the newer ones. So apart from painting, the main reason getting back into the hobby, I also like the collecting part, trying to get hold on old miniatures. And of course, playing will be mighty fun too.
    The downside with the old saurus warriors in my opinion is that they are so small compared to the chaos warriors! Only the kroxigors are on the same height. Otherwise I find them a joy painting. With bronze khopeshes, axes and spears in hand shall Lustria's finest be victorious.

So far I have managed to paint the second to last highlight on the skin of the warriors and aim to start working on my stegadon.

Bowser, Lizards of Renown and Warden like this.
  4. WildColonial Boy
    Bastiladon

WildColonial Boy Well-Known Member

TG.jpg Bad picture but I have some of those old school TG. About 16 from memory. The wrappings on the spears/halberds I tried to paint like leopard skins. I painted the champion as an albino as in the original codex, any lizards born different from the rest of their spawning brethren were usually marked for greatness.

5. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Those are some classic and beautifully painted lizards! :pompus::artist:

Bowser and Walters like this.
  6. Walters
    Saurus

Thank you! I am very pleased of how they turned out. My 20 saurus warriors are more or less done, some highlights remain and the standard will get some more colour, but they are ready to take to the field.

Saurus warriors 2.jpg Saurus warriors 3.jpg

And together with the Slann:
    Slann and saurus warriors 1.jpg

At the moment I am working on a stegadon, 10 skinks and skink handlers for 2 salamander hunting packs. Hopefully the skinks will be done before the end of the month.

Attached Files:

7. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Generally speaking I'm not exactly the biggest fan of those models, but yours look really good! :)

Bowser, Walters and Imrahil like this.
  8. Walters
    Saurus

Thank you very much! But you have to admit that these skinks are cool. :)
    IMG_20200317_212026.jpg

I will use them as skink priests, assisting the Slann.

9. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

They are! The one with the bone helmet always cracks me up.

Eagle Warrior, Imrahil and Walters like this.
  10. BeardyGecko
    Ripperdactil

BeardyGecko Well-Known Member

Excellent Slaan paint job!

Walters likes this.
  11. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Still that one needs to be painted Orange to resamble Cubone ;)

Grrr, Imrahil

Bowser, Tyranitar and Aginor like this.
  12. Walters
    Saurus

Have finished a unit of 10 skink skirmishers (with bows but I play them as with blowpipes) inspired by the green skinks with orange crests in the old Lizardmen armybook.

Skink archers 2.jpg

I will move on to paint another unit of 10 after I am done with the handlers for my Salamander hunting packs. Here is also the stegadon, primed and ready for paint. I have not glued the crew nor the howdah onto it yet.

Stegadon WIP 2.jpg

So skinks, salamanders and a stegadon is currently in the workings.
    I also attach a bonus picture, some Chaos warriors of Slaanesh painted by my friend. I really like how the purple turned out! The aspiring champion of Chaos awaits a coat a paint.

Chaos warrios 1.jpg

13. BeardyGecko
    Ripperdactil

BeardyGecko Well-Known Member

Lovely Skinks! I still prefer the older ones with bows I think.

Bowser, Eagle Warrior and Walters like this.
  14. Walters
    Saurus

Thank you! I agree, I did enjoy painting them too despite them being in only two variations. It would be fun to collect some of the old skinks with javelins too.

Bowser likes this.
  15. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Just A Skink Well-Known Member

I really liked the original Stegadon. Good times!

16. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Nice work on those Skinks, like the colors you did.

Curolious to see the Stegadon painted ;)

Grrr, Imrahil

17. Walters
    Saurus

And after quite some time I have finished it! :)
    One of the more difficult miniatures I have painted (big and in metal), yet I am happy with the result.

Stegadon 1.jpg
    Stegadon 3.jpg

I managed to set aside some time during the holidays to finish my temple guards. They took an immense amount of time to paint. The amount of details is high, and I wanted to do them justice as best as I could, jaguar pelts, their helmets and such. Despite being tricky to paint it was a fun endeavour, but it did not go according to plan. When I was about to start with the blue highlights I found out that my temple guard blue had dried up, beyond saving... So I ordered some more (together with 5 chameleon skinks) and soon I could wrap up the highlights. I really like this unit together with the Slann, this combination is one of the reasons that I like to field the Lizardmen.

Slann and temple guard 1.jpg
    Slann and temple guard 2.jpg
    Slann and temple guard 3.jpg

And here is a picture with the whole painted army:
    Armé 1.jpg

What I have left to paint is one skink chief, 5 chameleon skinks and another unit of 20 saurus warriors, but otherwise the army is more or less done. :)

Attached Files:

18. Eagle Warrior
    Saurus

Eagle Warrior Active Member

I love these old models, and it's great to see them getting a more modern quality paint job. Your colours really pop, great job! :D

Bowser, Walters and Imrahil like this.
  19. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

You've done a great job with these mate!

And I'm pumped that you're flying the Flag for WFB!!! :D

20. Walters
    Saurus

Thank you! They have such character, and it was a treat to paint them. Att first I wanted to paint them according to the 5th edition armybook, however, I could not figure out which the paints were..
    Do you have the old temple guards too? :)

Thank you mate! Fantasy all the way. Have you too played the 6th edition? :)