1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are your top 3 favourite models released in 2021?

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by NIGHTBRINGER, Dec 17, 2021.

1. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

With lots of great models released this year, I was wondering if anyone was interested in sharing their favourites of the year. Specifically an ordered top 3.

It's pretty open-ended:
    • from any game system, big or small
    • units or individual characters or monsters, etc.
    • any manufacturer
    • provide pictures of your three choices!

So what are your 3 favourite models released this year?

2. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I guess I'll break the ice...

#1 Vellas von Faine (via The Crimson Court, Warhammer Underworlds)

[​IMG]
    #2 Jelsen Darrock (via Warhammer Quest: Cursed City)
    [​IMG]
    #3 Prince Duvalle (via The Crimson Court, Warhammer Underworlds)

[​IMG]

I bet @Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl will highly disagree with my selections! :p

3. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

Huh...

I'll have to think about this one.

Lizerd and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  4. PlasmaDavid
    Kroxigor

PlasmaDavid Active Member

My answer is the plastic Slann/Lord Kroak 3 times. Seriously gorgeous. (No I don't really pay attention to new miniatures.) However it is pants on head stupid expensive and I'd never buy it, and I say that as a bachelor with disposable income...

5. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

Kilvakar Well-Known Member

#1: The new and improved Lord Kroak!
    [​IMG]

#2: One Page Rules Saurian Behemoth:
    [​IMG]

#3: Kixi-Taka from the Starblood Stalkers:
    [​IMG]

6. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Good idea!!

I will have to go back through the releases of this year

bc5334475aa08579ffbf33e395cb3e34.jpg

Grrr, Imrahil

7. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

I got my three! It's hard to sort them out in order, so I will sort in order that I intend to buy (or have already bought :greedy:)

#1) New Black Templars High Marshal Helbrecht

warden20211127_new helbrecht kit.jpg

The original Helbrecht model is one of the models that got me into the hobby, on the coattails of my Lizardmen purchases when I bought my first Battle for Maccrage well over a decade ago. So happy to see him translated into a new model, already bought and converted him up, onto the painting!

#2) W'adrhun Apex Predator aka Giant Feathering T-Rex from Conquest: Last Arguement of Kings

wadrhun-apex-predator.jpg

This beastie is just beautiful, and will be one of my purchases next year. I first learned of this model thanks to Prophet of Conquest @Sudsinabucket and his post earlier this year. He already has a few other models for the army painted up... to include some raptor-riding amazon warrior ladies! Go check it out he is criminally short on likes!

Link to the model's website.

#3) New Lord Kroak

psychadelic new kroak.jpg

As much as I loved the old model and how classic he was in his complete mummified frog glory, the new model is one of the best ones GW has come up with in recent years. Love it, may put it together if I ever decide to play AOS.

Honorable mention goes to the Starblood Stalkers/Lizardmen Warband published earlier this year too.

8. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

The new carnosaur obviously!

oh and kroak, the new and improved kroak hands down is one of the best minis gw has released for a while. Phenomenal blend of the old model, lore, and a gorgeous art design and direction that maintained a faithful spin on our favorite mummified frog lord

Noxolotl likes this.
  9. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Which new Carnosaur was released in 2021? By which company? Pictures? Do you mean the T-Rex posted by @Warden ?

Lizerd and Imrahil like this.
  10. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

You bet I do pal, I certainly can't understand your interest in that female vampire in particular. Personally she'd be pretty close to being one of the worst models in 2021 in my eye...

But then, all this hype of yours about the Soulblight release is mainly due to that Castlevania show... *Writes 'Castlevania' in personal Dammaz-Kron and underlines it in red three times*

(Joking of course, you can choose whichever models you like to be your favourite)

As to my favourite models of this year... to be honest it was a bit of a bad batch this year round for GW models, not many of those caught my eye at all. Probably the only stuff of vague interest was the big Orks release in 40K and Kroak and the Kruleboyz for AoS. However, I'm a big fan of other manufacturers' models too, and a lot more interesting stuff came from them this year.

In any case, onto the top three!

#1 - 40K Ork Squighog Boyz
    [​IMG]

A real highlight in the GW release schedule this year, I've got to say these are great, suitably madcap and chaotic as only Orks can be, with plenty of menace and beef to ensure they still look as much of a threat as they are in gameplay and lore. In particular the Gretchin riding the mini unicycle Squig wielding a large nail as if it would be of any actual threat to someone is hilarious. Cavalry units have been largely overlooked in 40K for a long time, so it's great to not only see some arrive but also see some that particularly capture my interest. All in all a great homage to 2nd Edition 40K where Boar Boyz were a choice in 40K as well, but now with a suitably more unique and sci-fi oriented appearance and background. Must write some 6th Edition rules for these so I can have an excuse to grab some for my Waaagh...

#2 - Mantic Kings of War Salamander Tyrants
    [​IMG]
    Mantic released some more stuff for their own Lizardman line in the summer, and these were easily the best of the lot. Not so much because they'd make good Kroxigor proxies, because you'd have to do a fair amount of work to convert these resin models to be able to wield great weapons (sadly they only come with the AHW option you can see in the image), but more because they are simply great representations of reptilian Monstrous Infantry. If GW could make affordable plastic Kroxigors that look as good as these, they'll certainly be a contender to appear on this list in following years.

#3 Oathmark Revenant Infantry
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Oathmark have always produced solid good-value kits in my eye, and these are no exception, but the thing I like most about these is their subject - as I said upon their release, they're pretty much Celtic Tomb Guard with the attitude of the the Dead of Dunharrow, which is quite honestly fantastic. You get 30 models in the box with the ability to give them either hand weapons and shields or great weapons (or make a mixture of both) with options to make a standard bearer and leader, all for £25. While the sculpting of these may not contest against GW, the value of the kit certainly does, rivalling even GW in its best days, and such an original and interesting subject makes these well worth grabbing. They may not have a use in mainstream Warhammer (unless you fancy making a Celtic-themed Tomb Kings army, which I'd thoroughly approve of) but they are great for Oathmark obviously and I plan to write rules for them to represent Barrow Wights as part of my exploration of the Misty Isle with my Albion and Hordes of Shadow army books.

Honourable mention goes to the Oathmark Human Cavalry who just missed out on 3rd place, because though they would make great Dark Ages Romano British cavalry as well as being used in a good few fantasy games, they're not as original and exciting as the Revenants.

Warden, Noxolotl, Lizerd and 2 others like this.
  11. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Like with most things, we have completely opposite tastes/opinions!! !!!!!.png

Castlevania definitely played a role, but these latest vampire models released by GW have really been on point. That's probably why they have been so popular. The Crimson Court was sold out everywhere for months, and while the pandemic played a part, the other Warhammer Underworld warbands (that were also released during the pandemic) were readily available throughout. Cursed City was another one that was near impossible to find... although GW just announced that they will be bringing it back in 2022.

Noxolotl, Lizerd and Imrahil like this.
  12. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

Two fingered carnosaur with feathers is still a carnosaur :D

13. bOdziO Wolf
    Ripperdactil

bOdziO Wolf Well-Known Member

There is a lot of good releases in 2021 to be honest and taking only 3 of them was a bit hard task to do, but here we go.

#1 Karazai the Scarred
    I would never, ever, blame GW for releasing a good looking dragon based on their previous releases, but here we have one that is absolutely mad in my opinion. A dragon veteran with a menacingly looking scar tells a story from just looking at the model and it was my insta buy as soon as he was released.
    1-karazai.png

#2 Starblood Stalkers - Chameleon
    Now here is the harder part since we are going through the release I didn't buy, but the GW's new take on the chameleon skink took my attention. Both cool pose and sculpt. Not too overdesigned and really solid in my opinion. I might derive from army painting for those minis at some point again as well, so a buy in a nearest future.
    2-starblood_stalkers.png

#3 Starblood Stalkers - Another Skink
    I need to find out the names of the Starblood Stalkers at some point as the bronze medal would go to this little fella from the same warband as my #2. High props for pose and a sculpt giving a heroic look to a Skink.
    3-starblood_stalkers.png

14. Imrahil
    Slann

Nice picks, the more I see the Starblood Stalkers the more I am urged to buy them (I have resisted thus far:rolleyes:)

I am going through the released models of 2021, I am helped by the Warhammer Community to see what actually all was released this year.

Grrr, Imrahil

Noxolotl and Lizerd like this.
  15. Imrahil
    Slann

Aaaahhhh picking just 3 is harder than I thought...

here I go, but I can't settle down on this actually being the order of the top 3.

#1 Middle-earth Strategy Battle Game: Ruins of Dol Guldur
    A highly detailed and amazingly modular set of scenery pieces to recreate the ruins of the once mighty citadel of Dol Guldor or some set of ruins of your own liking.

01.jpg

#2 Orruk Warclans: Gobsprakk, the Mouth of Mork/ Killaboss
    Not that I am an enormous fan of route that the AoS 3.0 has taken, but this model is by far the best of the new releases about 3.0. The ginormous bird is a magnificent mount and terrifying sight for each enemy.

01-01.jpg

#3 Bawla & Burk, Boss Rat-Killas
    Although I love the releases of the Starblood Stalkers and the new suit of our beloved Lord Kroak I am not quite likely to pick them up. This last model in my top three is most likely to end up in my collection. A new Megaboss is a very refreshing sight. I know there was another one revealed for the Warhammer + members, but that one isn't yet available this year ;)

3ZR3daPd14y5dEKZ.jpg

Grrr, Imrahil

Warden, Noxolotl, Lizerd and 3 others like this.
  16. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Sudsinabucket Well-Known Member

Thanks for this shout out! Such a glorious model that I'm working through, and then my second lol

Ill have to think back on what my favorite models are... hmmmmm

17. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Yes, I noticed that, I felt the same way as Little John does here when I first saw that news...
    [​IMG]

And the fact that expansions are coming as per Blackstone Fortress makes me sick to the stomach with the thought that that abomination is here to stay...

18. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I'll never understand why you hate it so much (other than the fact that I like it) :D

Lizerd and Kilvakar like this.
  19. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Sudsinabucket Well-Known Member

A new Carnosaur was released?

Imrahil and Kilvakar like this.
  20. Imrahil
    Slann

He was speaking of the Apex from Conquest ;)

Grrr, Imrahil

NIGHTBRINGER and Sudsinabucket like this.