1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion What Defensive Structures would Lizardmen use?

Discussion in 'Fluff and Stories' started by Scalenex, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Nazqua
    Carnasaur

Nazqua Well-Known Member

Amazing, read through it all, gained a lot of knowledge and insight :D

Scalenex and Warden like this.
  2. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

ASSASSIN_NR_1 Well-Known Member

Now I didn't read absolutely all of it, but most.

As have been pointed out, at least somewhat, is that the Lizardmen make use of the jungle as defense. I agree with the Lizardmen most probably having walls, but also agree with Scalenex, in that they would probably not want to fight in their cities. What I do think the walls are used for, is to keep dangerous fauna out. The dangerous fauna and jungle in general, is then the actual "walls" of the Lizardmen, in terms of defense against intruders, it is a very wide "wall", but very defensible, manned and patrolled by skinks and all the dangerous fauna.
    Hexoatl might not have as much jungle wall-defense, and I guess that is why Mazdamundi created that mountain range, to make another type of "wall", to defend against the Dark Elves. On that note, I do not think Malekith would be able to take Hexoatl. He might be a threat, but Hexoatl has the greatest living mage at its disposal and the Lizardmen's best general, so I think not. Besides the Dark elves can pretty much only get there through a single path, which the Lizardmen guard (as far as I remember), so the Lizardmen has all the advantages, in that they know when the Dark elves would come, and they can make ambushes all the way to Hexoatl and choose exactly where on the way to engage them, and if I know Mazdamundi right, a large portion of Malekith's army would just be chucked down a big hole in the earth by Mazdamundi.

3. gb2098
    Saurus

gb2098 Active Member

basically they just have defense in depth..
    the natural jungle, patrols, then the walls. being in a what is a death-jungle to any other race adds an extra layer of protection for them. and i wouldn't be surprised if they actively cultivate its dangers, either through planting hazards, or magic to amplify existing ones.

4. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

ASSASSIN_NR_1 Well-Known Member

I can't find where I read it, but I believe it has been stated somewhere, that Lustria's fauna and flora is extra dangerous because the Slann altered it to pretty much be a death trap to outsiders.
    Furthermore, I did find in the lizardmen rulebook, that Lustria was not known to exist for a very long time, because of magical barriers that disoriented outsiders, so they were led elsewhere, making another fortification, basically making it so they wouldn't have to protect their cities, since basically no one knew of them.

Nazqua and Warden like this.
  5. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

I do love the fortifications in the Lizardmen siege maps in TTW2.

:snaphappy::snaphappy::snaphappy:

epic.png

epic 2.png
    epic 3.png
    epic 4.png
    Walls and the gate!

the walls.png

Granted I lost this battle... must have been paying too much attention to the glorious scenery :shifty:

Aginor and Nazqua like this.
  6. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

I remember reading that also. Somewhere....

Has this thread covered field fortifications?

That is: what would Lizardmen build when on campaign in other people’s territory?

But that does beg a larger question: why did only the Bretonnians ever cotton on to the idea of hedges defensive stakes? (It is such a simple idea you’d think any or all of the armies would-could make those.)

ASSASSIN_NR_1 and Nazqua like this.
  7. gb2098
    Saurus

gb2098 Active Member

i think most armies would use Stakes or even Sudis, it pretty much is the easiest way to build a defensive wall or barrier to a charge. but i suspect most of them would view them as something used to demarcate/defend an encampment or add some extra defense to a non-stone fort. a lot of emphasis in the various armies seems to be on tactical mobility, even slow armies like dwarves. since the Breetonian Archer's Stake only provides a defensive benefit when the archers remain stationary in their initial positions, using stakes gives up the option for tactical mobility to say, maneuver to get a better firing angle on an enemy.
    Since Breetonia's various lords frequently fight each other, i would presume they usually employ the stakes in order to negate the Breetonian knight's big advantages in breetonian-on-breetonian conflicts, and that when fighting non-breetonians they continue to do so mainly because that is what they've been trained to do before a battle.

(out of universe reason of course is that Breetonians are the Battle of Agincourt combining english lonbowmen and french knights into one group, with a heavy dose of Mallory's Le Morte De Arthur and Errol Flynn's Robin Hood. while the other factions use other influences like the Empire being 1600's Pike&Shotte, which is a time where the use of stakes to make a temporary defensive fort for the archers and battle line had fallen out of use due to gunpowder and the decline of heavy cavalry as a striking force.)

Warden likes this.
  8. Nazqua
    Carnasaur

Nazqua Well-Known Member

Hey I sometimes have that problem too, I downloaded a mod that adds like another 100 maps it has some really cool ones as well - Screenshot 2019-04-05 at 08.04.01.png Screenshot 2019-04-05 at 08.04.17.png

Also one of the YouTubers I watch that does Warhammer battles has an amazing battle for one of the greatest maps -watch (The intro is amazing)

Warden likes this.
  9. Nazqua
    Carnasaur

Nazqua Well-Known Member

Oh btw the mods called - GCCM: Main mod [Island battles!] and you need to get all the other map packs the creator made to play

Warden likes this.
  10. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

One “e”
    Three “n”s in...
    Bretonnian

I agree with the out-of-universe comments.

In universe: there is no reason preventing nation-armies from copying each other, using captured equipment, or building their own versions of gear fielded by their foes.

11. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

I have watched this siege before! Excellent mod work and truly inspiring terrain. Hope to keep building more like this!

Nazqua likes this.