1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Solved What is your favorite brand of shelf for display of minis and WIP?

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Scalenex, Jun 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

My apartment is a mess, and minis make up a large portion of the mess, and this is making me not want to complete things because as a prerequisite to modeling I would have to tidy up.

My models and WIP quickly filled my book shelf bought for minis. Now I got mini's and bits sprawled across three card tables and a box in every corner. What I really need to do is not buy new stuff till I finish what I have, but it's too late for that.

Ideally I want a shelf that's like a book shelf but with double or triple the number of shelves, is sturdy enough to hold up the additional weight of all the shelf and ideally has a glass door, so I can keep dust off the old stuff and maybe get a cat without having said feline destroy all the loose models it can find.

Note I am a cheap skate.

Warden and Captaniser like this.
  2. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I use an IKEA Billy shelf. It is available with glass doors so you can see your minis, and it is variable with the boards.

Warden and Scalenex like this.
  3. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    I need pictures. Thought Scalenex might also.

***contemplates***

Warden likes this.
  4. Scalenex
    Slann

The CD shelf in the middle seems about right. With all the compartments I can even sort my minis into reasonable categories.

Is that part of one big unit or could I order three or four of the CD shelf?

Warden likes this.
  5. Scalenex
    Slann

Today, I was shopping around a going out of business sale at a local Sears. They were selling some fixtures and a friend pointed out "You could put minis in something like that."

There was two that looked at. One was really big, one was a bit smaller but looked like actual furniture. The smaller nicer looking one was bought in the three or four minutes I was mulling my decision. So I got the big one.

So I bought a rotating rack that used to hold neckties, wallets, and the like. It's got lots of shelves. fourteen shelves are 9 x 17 x 2.75 deep. 14 shelves are 5 x 17 x 2.75 deep. Everything's clear plastic so it's visible. It spins. I figure i can do one side finished Lizardmen. One side finished Undead/Vampire Counts + spillover Lizardmen. Two sides WIP until I can start finishing my giant work pile. Hopefully I can have THREE sides be finished projects within a year or two.

Maybe I'll go vertiical categories instead. Put the show models on the top shelves, the WIP and my Empire army on the bottom shelves. My Empire army is assembled but not painted and probably never will be. Lizardmen, my first love are to paint and to play. Vampire Counts/Undead I bought basically to have fun coverting cool looking things, but it's progre Basically I bought them to play not paint

I'll post a picture soonish when I get my minis moved and the light is better if I can get my ancient late 1990s digital camera to work.

It's kind of an eye sore, but I'm hoping my minis will make it look better. I might want to print out some LIzardmen art to tape on my new display case. post over the Buxton logos and color up the drab grey-ness.

Anyway it was thirty American dollars. Thirty bucks for all that storage space and it rotates.

If I didn't luck onto this unorthodox solution, I think the Ikea shelf would have worked adequately.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    Warden and Crowsfoot like this.
  6. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

Drab grayness vs. everything is clear..?

Waiting for picture. What is Buxton? Nevermind, google-fu sorted that out quick enough.

7. Scalenex
    Slann

Here is the money shot of my new mini display/holding shelf

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tom ndege and Crowsfoot like this.
  8. Scalenex
    Slann

Here is the Buxton logo I am planning to cover up with a picture of Lizardmen art eventually.

[​IMG]

tom ndege, Crowsfoot and Aginor like this.