1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. What lore to choose?

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by PaxXx, Apr 2, 2015.

1. PaxXx
    Skink

PaxXx New Member

Hi guys.

I'm a lot in doubt as to what lore I should choose for my Slann.

My armylist consists of a bunkered up Slann and a lot of beasts.

I'm in doubt about which of the following to choose:

1) Signature-spells (Wandering Deliberations)

2) Lore of Life

3) Lore of Light.

I'm very afraid of miscasts with a bunkered Slann, which is why lore of life and WD is the obvious choices, but Light still has a lot of lowcasting value spells though.

To me it seems that light gives benefits to LM's weaknesses, but lacks a nuke-spell. Life enhances LM's strenghts, and WD is a toolbox/jack of all trades, but again without any nuke-spells.

What do you guys prefer, and why?

2. Eyeless1
    Saurus

Eyeless1 Member

Im no expert, but i always go high magic, and then switch around. And i rarely miscast because pretty much all high magic spells only need 2 or 3 dice

3. rottedtoad
    Skink

rottedtoad New Member

I've always been super impressed with WD. The versatility is incredible, and LM greatly benefit from all the combat buffs. Plus the direct damage and magic missiles can be cast through skinks, meaning long range for death snipes, etc. Personally, I think WD or Loremaster High are two of the most solid choices for any bunkered slann list that isn't built for a specific lore.

4. PaxXx
    Skink

PaxXx New Member

I forgot to mention af few things.

If I go with something else than WD, it will be with loremaster.

Aaand, I don't have any skink priests to channel through, in my list :)

But thanks for your inputs anyway. My own experience with High Magic, is that you want to cast the heavy spells early, to swap with something else, and when you do that, you are more likely to miscast. But I might've just been unlucky when I tried it :)

5. Matzotyl
    Cold One

Matzotyl Active Member

So far in my battles I've only had Skink Priests to go with for my magic, and I've only used Lore of Beasts on them. I'm in the same boat but I've heard that High Magic is a pretty solid choice to go with on a Slann regardless of where he is.

6. Agrem
    Kroxigor

Agrem Active Member

I've played some games with the High Magic loremaster but so far I have been a bit unimpressed by it. Maybe I just don't use it right.

My usual go to's are wandering deliberations or Life. Both seem to suit my playstyle and army quite well. At the moment I think that wandering deliberations is the superior of these two since it gives you much more benefits through the whole game when Life only shines in the later game. However if I run Tetto'eko I will definately go with Life as Tetto can handle the early game with heavens ranged spells.

I don't see Light being that good anymore as it used to be. Although I haven't really tried it lately.

Like the Tetto example I think you need to either choose your lore to support your army list or then do it the other way around and build your army to support the lore. So mostly it all comes down to synchronization which lore to choose.

BR
    Agrem

7. PaxXx
    Skink

PaxXx New Member

So.. I just realized that I can't be loremaster in anything but High magic. Must've read that wrong somehow.. Well that makes me mostly into WD, but a little bit High as well. I won't do life/light without loremaster.

Thanks for advice :)

8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

The loremaster for the BRB lores was from our last army book. My personal favorite is High magic loremaster. It is a good versatile lore on its own, and you get to cherry pick the lore that best suits your needs on the fly.

9. Matzotyl
    Cold One

Matzotyl Active Member

Switching lores on the fly with High Magic doesn't seem to be a bad strategy.

10. borkbork
    Ripperdactil

borkbork Active Member

I am actually quite a fan of High magic (with lore master), as it is pretty versatile on its own (though not the best), but with the swapping it is even more versatile and has an answer to everything. It takes practice though to get the most out of swapping spells though (am still in the learning process). But with the swapping you basically get the wandering deliberations for free. And it is invaluable to have 8 spells to pick from.

11. Corey
    Skink

Corey New Member

I am a huge advocate for High Magic loremaster. Everyone I have played against has laughed and allowed me to cast tempest turn 1, only to watch me drop it and cherry pick whatever lore I need, such as taking Searing Doom and run amok against my heavily armoured WoC opponents or all cav Empire.

12. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I agree! Loremaster High Magic is a very versatile lore in itself, then you add the ability to swap out for even more versatility. Although WD is versatile as well, I find it lacks the unique spells that High Magic offers (Walk Between Worlds, Arcane Unforging, Fiery Convocation).

13. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Putzfrau Well-Known Member

Which is why i always prefer WD. Why waste turn one casting tempest when i could just cast searing doom?

14. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Although WD offers you a great bunch of utility spells, it doesn't have any big game changing spells. Focus of Mystery gives you Walk Between Worlds, Arcane Unforging & Fiery Convocation; all of which can not be replicated by any of the signature spells. On top of this, you can easily obtain one or two of the key signature spells that you may require in that particular game (or get lucky and pick up one of the key spells of any given lore).

15. Matzotyl
    Cold One

Matzotyl Active Member

What lets you swap between lores with Loremaster: High Magic? So like could I start with High Magic, switch to something else, then switch back all through one game? Also what do you guys mean by WD? I'm still relatively new to the game so I'm not familiar with some of the abbreviations here.

16. angelosfernando
    Skink

angelosfernando Member

it means wandering deliberations.

17. Iskander
    Chameleon Skink

Iskander Active Member

It's the Lore Attribute, called "Contemplations." (Page 60 of my Lizardmen army book). I'm pretty sure the forum rules prevent me from quoting it in bulk, but it does what they're describing :) Side note: In my understanding, the High Magic lore attribute is different for the various armies that use it, and Contemplations is unique to the Lizardmen.

18. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

19. airjamy
    Bastiladon

airjamy Well-Known Member

I feel that you have a lot of options in lores with a Slann, there is really not simply a best choice. I feel that there are 4 main choices to build your Slann lore wise, but it is possible to deviate even from these choices and still have a ''meta'' list.

- High magic gives you the most options, but it is also the most expensive as you should buy the loremaster upgrade to really benefit from this lore. Core in this lore are Walk Between Worlds, movement advantages is the thing warhammer fantasy is won on, and the ability to swap out spells. This will require a lot of experience, i would say this is the hardest lore to use optimally. Simply picking on the fly what lore you might need is hard, but rewarding and strong.

- WD gives you also a lot of options, but not as many as High Magic and the spells tend to be slightly lower on impact. You won't very likely win a game on a single spell, but you will be casting a lot of spells. Core spells are Wyssans Wildform to give your units very strong combat buffs and Searing Doom to kill high priority targets in the current meta. It also has the added benefit of having very low casting values, so this might be the best lore in a TG bunker due to the low chances of miscast. The biggest enemy of the TG is still the Slann.

- The Lore of Life is a lore that goes especially well with our monster due to the healing passive and the single target buff spells. If you want to save some points on your Slann and if you have a lot of monsters, this would be my go to. It also has one of the best nuke spells in the game in the form of Dwellers from Below, do not shrink to combo Throne plus 6 dice Dwellers if you get the chance. I feel that Earth Blood and Dwellers from Below are the core spells in this lore, both have massive changes in every game. I feel that Throne of Vines is overrated for non-loremaster mages as you miss out on a lot of spells if you take it, but i would still use it if you get the Throne/Dwellers combo on your roll.

- The Lore of Light buffs the general weaknesses of our strong core infantry. Sauri are great for their points, 2 attacks, S4 and T4, they just really get let down on their I of 1 and their WS of 3. That is just the thing the Speed of Light buffs, and this spell makes our Sauri into real CC monsters, maybe even more then Wyssans Wildform does against certain targets. Other spells also buff our Sauri, the Timewarp is a good example of this. This is my go to if i want to safe on my Slann while i have a lot of Sauri in the list. It has the added bonus to be very damaging to Undead and Daemons, especially the signature spell is very damaging to these armies. I see this as a bonus to buffed Sauri, but if you know you will be figthing a lot of Daemons and Undead (which is quite likely in this tournament meta) feel free to give this lore a bump up.

Other possible lores are the Lore of Shadow for massive nukes on low I armies while being pretty poor against high I armies. The Lore of Death is also not a bad lore as it has some good nukes and it is good at sni[ing characters, but if your opponent has high I or no high priority targets this Lore sees not as much usefull play. The other lores have some use, but are generally really outshone by other lores in strenght. I hope i gave you an idea about what lores are good on Slann, the message is that there are a lot of viable lores and the best lore for you depends on quite a few factors, including your army, your experience and your opponent.