1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Where does the Starseer fit in?

Discussion in 'Seraphon Tactics' started by btrain16, Aug 28, 2020.

1. btrain16
    Saurus

btrain16 Active Member

Hi all,

It seems like the Starpriest and regular Priest are the go-to low-cost magic options for us, with the Kroak package being the high-end one.

Even though the Starseer seems useful, I don't see it showing up in a lot of lists. Is it just caught in an awkward middle ground? Or is the 3D6 charge just more attractive on paper than in practice?

LizardWizard and Erta Wanderer like this.
  2. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

It's a good unit but it's more for melee builds and not many people run those and when they do our heroes slots are already taken up by old bloods Sun Bloods star priests. It's not that it's bad it's that are hero slots are at a premium.

btrain16 and LizardWizard like this.
  3. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

now if they made it a mid level caster and gave it two casts a turn instead of one, to bridge between the star priest and the slann….

4. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Putzfrau Well-Known Member

I use the Starseer in nearly all my Koatl's Claw builds with the firelance. The extra reach is amazing, helps offset their relatively low (for cav) movement and inability to run and charge.

5. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

He needs something to distinguish himself from a starpriest in general. Right now it's basicly just the bonus to charge v.s. mortal wounds, with the other differences being fairly minor. And the mortal wounds are simply more usefull in most situations & lists. It's not that the charge bonus is bad, it's just that the starpriest is nearly always better while also being cheaper. The only exception being Koatl's claw like @Putzfrau pointed out, and even then you'l want to bring a starpriest as well anyway...

And there's plenty of options; give him an extra spell, give him better attacks so you can use him for some more fire support (yes he has better attacks right now, but the average difference is only 0.44 wounds which is basicly irrelevant...). Make the difference for their CP generating bigger. Give him 2 extra wounds and a 4+ save so we have a skink support hero that doesn't get sniped on accident.

6. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

so much true

...especially given that a ton of attacks at no rend, really needs those MWs to be effective

LizardWizard, btrain16 and Canas like this.
  7. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

Tottaly agree. Would love to see the Starseer and Oracle become lvl 2 casters.

Putzfrau likes this.
  8. Gailon
    Skink

Gailon New Member

There are so many ways to play seraphon, I don't think every hero/unit can have a clear role in a competitive list. Some of them have niche roles in less competitive build options.

With that said, my starseer has a critical role in Starborne Saurus. Obviously, starborne is way better for skinks, but I wanted to build a starborne list with the saurus battalions.

So with LoSaT and bringing in reserve units that 3d6 charge is essential to get a really important charge in when you bring in or teleport a unit. 3d.6 rerolling gets 9 or higher fairly consistently, add in the +1 charge asterism on a turn with a critical charge and it is very reliable.

It's not as strong as skinks or coalesced saurus, but it plays very different than either, is fun, and is pretty different to play.

LizardWizard likes this.