1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Why is the Dreadsaurian not competitive?

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Graeme, Mar 2, 2022.

1. Graeme
    Jungle Swarm

Graeme New Member

I have been using a proxy Dreadsaurian and found it to be awesome, specifically in Thunder Lizards. I never see it around and I'm guessing the main reason is it's impossible to find, costs a fortune and doesn't come with a base. Those are good reasons to not buy one but they aren't good reasons not to use it if you could. The main complaint I hear is that the base is way to big to maneuver, this is true but the size has major pro's too. It can screen entire objectives and can reach far into the table while most of the time still staying within 1" of mystical terrain for the 6+ ward save. The large base can also block enemy units from buffing units that run behind it, like EOTG heal or Slann +2 to spell/ability shrug.

Just interested on your thoughts.

Kilvakar, Bowser and Erta Wanderer like this.
  2. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

many armies can one turn it. it doesn't do all that much damage it's fat as hell.
    generally the reasons it's not great. not "bad" per say but not very good

Kilvakar, Dread Saurian and Bowser like this.
  3. cyberhawk94
    Cold One

cyberhawk94 Active Member

If they gave it back the Totem Keyword and dropped it by ~50 points it would be decent.

Currently it is more expensive, does less damage, and is less flexible than 2 scar-vets on carnosaur (430 vs 545). The only benefit over them is the extra 9 wounds. It needs character support to actually function okay (AoA and Feral Roar can be really important with it), but the base is so big that to be "wholly within" the character is basically glued to it.

I used mine quite a bit at the beginning of 3rd edition. Alpha-Beast pack was pretty great to get it onto a mid-board objective and follow it with a lifeswarm. Then it went up 30 points, lost Roar of Ruin, and lost the Totem keyword. Then the new god warscrolls hit. Its just in a place of a decent-ish warscroll priced too high in a meta that really hates it. If some alpha strike was toned down so we could leverage all our healing into it, it would be solid.

The last time I played it Kragnos turn-1 charged it and insta-killed it, through the damage reduction, before it even got to swing. And he rolled poorly on the MW charge.

4. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Putzfrau Well-Known Member

He is. He's just not the most competitive by any means. Emma went 4-1 with him at da boyz last year. Hes actually quite good on 3 point missions just waddle him up and cimpletely consume an objective with his massive base. Targeting him is almost always a mistake.

But the way tournaments do terrain hugely impacts him.

He would have been awful at LVO for example with 4 player placed impassable pieces on the board (2 impassable, 2 defensible). Generally, things that are the "most competitive" arent the things that can be easily invalidated by just the way a pack plays terrain.

At the end if the day, 1500 points of seraphon and 500 points of "sits on a point" is still gonna beat most armies, but losing totem was kinda unnecessary and between kragnos and dragons and sce shooting theres a lot more mortals out there then there used to be.

Also, he's just not very much fun. His rules are super boring and he's a pain to move around the table.

5. Graeme
    Jungle Swarm

Graeme New Member

yeah it is a little disappointing since there are clearly many stronger solo models in the game. Not sure why they did that

6. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Putzfrau Well-Known Member

Because GW doesn't want an extremely expensive resin model from forgeworld thats perpetually out of stock to be a must have competitive piece.

That's my guess at least.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2022
  7. Prince
    Skink

Prince Member

What was the usage of totem keyword on him? He cannot even give all-out attack to himself.

8. Dread Saurian
    Stegadon

Dread Saurian Well-Known Member

It's usage was to give you +1 to hit without having to burn a spell. So you have to invest less into it. Taking away Totem gimped it to the point that it's a point holder or if you want to gamble 545 points on the 4 6 damage bites to one shot almost anything without the damage negation rules then I say run em. I do so anyways because I just love the model

Graeme, Kilvakar and Bowser like this.
  9. Jason839
    Salamander

Jason839 Well-Known Member

Before Dragons it was competitive in a very specific build that was built around it. usually a bunch of buffs that made it super tanky so it could use its large base to cover the obectives completely zoning people out.

Now Dragons and armies meant to kill dragons will melt the thing in 1 turn.

Kilvakar, Bowser and Graeme like this.
  10. Graeme
    Jungle Swarm

Graeme New Member

That actually make so much sense!

Kilvakar and Bowser like this.
  11. Dread Saurian
    Stegadon

Yeah at the end of last edition you could buff the big lug up to basically be kind of a voltron esk monster it could duel, it could hold positions, And well with certain builds it couldn't die. It was a lot more fun to use it

12. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Why is the Dreadsaurian not competitive?

because it's a Forgeworld model and lately GW hates FW models, also in 40k. Because unclear reasons.

next question.

13. Dread Saurian
    Stegadon

Minus the Dimachaeron. Most titans. Almost all their contempter dreadnoughts.

Bowser likes this.
  14. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Are you serious? Titans are not competitive, they're pretty much garbage for their points.
    And many fw dreadnoughts are not good.

Atm, FW are at best overpriced for what they bring to the table and 3 good models in the whole fw range doesn't change it.

It's a pity because i own a lot of fw models, they are just fantastic.

15. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

Kilvakar Well-Known Member

I really do think just being a Forgeworld model is why it's not that great. Like everyone else is saying, GW (for some strange reason) wants to make those super-expensive resin models, but doesn't like the idea of them being used competitively on any sort of large scale.

If it had an ignore terrain rule for being so huge it would at least help. Right now it costs more than a Mega Gargant and does less damage while also being just as easy (if not easier) to kill in one turn and lacking any special rules that make it fun to play. If they made it something that either did a ton of damage and could kill a Mega 1v1, or leaned more into the defense and made it even more tanky and able to count as more models on an objective you'd probably see them more often. Or, if they gave it some unique rules that made it interact with the game in more ways than just running up and sitting on an objective until it dies that would help a lot as well.

Killer Angel and Bowser like this.