1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Contest Winter Solstice 2018 Visual Art Contest Entry Thread

Discussion in 'Fluff and Stories' started by Scalenex, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

We Honour the Old One Aartzifartzi with sacrifices of fresh art.
    Will he / she / it be pleased with your offering?
    This contest is pushed for and sponsored by @Lord-Marcus basically stealing @spawning of Bob 's contest format.

The themes for the competition will be Beast and Master AND/OR Food and Drink. Blessings abound!

Any similarity in theme to another competition or competitions is pure coincidence. However, following some subliminally inserted links may lead you to somewhere, which by pure chance may afford you some inspiration. How random is that?

Entries will close on the Winter Solstice December 21st, 2018. Midnight, US Central Time. Submit them to Scalenex.

Scalenex is not the greatest at dealing with upload programs and the like. If you are concerned about being able to successively upload a picture, you should not count on Scalenex fixing it for you and would be wise to get your piece done a day or two before the deadline so you can recruit another to help you with the technical side.

The Rules...
    Certainly not stolen verbatim by a lazy moderator
    • The contest is not anonymous.
    • The work should be able to be able to be contained on an A4 page with reasonable resolution. This will allow for short graphic stories but not multi page stories. The emphasis is the art rather than an amazing plot.
    • The artist may include speech and thought bubbles, but the words should constitute less than one quarter of the page.
    • Animations are to be of less than 30 seconds.
    • Animated / static 3D Sculpts are fine.
    • The artist may include a title and/or a caption of up two lines long after the image.
    • Include a description of the method / medium with your entry (e.g. pencil on paper watercolour on skaven-hide, computer and mouse with MS paint, tablet and finger) If you don't, Bob may make something up that you might regret.
    • The image must involve Lizardmen (or Seraphon or Salamanders)
    • The image must stick roughly within the theme options.
    • The image must be new. No recycling and re-purposing old images.
    • Photoshop art IS OK but the final image should be have at least half of the image as original work. i.e. The back ground could be from Leonardo Da Google and be less than 50% of the image. OR the background could be an originally taken photograph of a Mayan pyramid taken by the entrant and be larger than 50%. This rule links to the next one.
    • Wherever the image components come from, please acknowledge the attribution of other people's work. Your entry should include the web addresses of any images that you have enhanced by pasting lizardmen all over them. This is polite and possibly, you know, legal.
    • Only one entry allowed per person / collaboration.
    • Having said that, collaborative entries by multiple entrants are fine. Check what @details and @n810 did in the first comp and you will agree that this is a good thing. Also n810+details, n810+Bob and n810+Scolenex would all be eligible entries - one per collaboration.
    • There is a tiny chance that voters will consider adherence to the theme.
    The NOT-Rules...
    • This thread is the official get inspiration / get help / just enjoy being creative together thread.
    • There are some other threads worth looking at for inspiration, advice and technological know how. These include the previous comp WIP thread and this even less complete than usual tutorial thread.
    • Please please please retain WIP stages of your project. We can all learn from / sympathise with the challenges you surmount on your journey. The rising tide floats all boats, and your experience will encourage others to contribute in future.
    • Please don't pretend you are dead if I or Bob contacts you to write a tutorial about your chosen medium.
    • Ask for help with electronica if it isn't your thing. We can advise about free tablet drawing software, image hosting and posting, and free software which does post-scanner enhancement of pencil and paper art. @n810 knows his way around Photoshop. @Hyperborean is a gun with Paint Tool SAI. MS Paint probably won't kill you for simple image editing - get the help you need to bring your image to life.
    • No inspiration? Read the April-May 2018 entries or the July-August 2018 entries - by some strange chance, they may help you. Feel free to do an illustration for someone else's story (or your own).
    • Be bold and experimental. If the voting is as random as the process of hosting this comp, the votes may fall in your favour.

But Wait there is more. REAL tangible prizes.

If the winner is a collaboration, the prize will go to one of the members of the collaboration in a run-off. The run-off will consist of a fight to the death supervised by @Scolenex in the Blood Bamboo Dome.

For a fake prize, I will give the Scalenex Cup to the best drawing of a Huagerdon. The winning Huagerdon entry gets to live. The runner ups win a quick semi-painless death.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  2. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Cool idea, thanks for inserting links to the previous comps! Not sure if I will have time to do some art for this, but if inspiration strikes I may be back :lurking:

Paradoxical Pacifism likes this.
  3. Infinity Turtle
    Temple Guard

Infinity Turtle Well-Known Member

Untitled.jpg
    (MS Paint is obviously my forte...)

4. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

The voting will run from September 31st TO May 10th? :wideyed: :woot:

(... if there was such a thing as a 31st day in Sept ...)

5. Paradoxical Pacifism
    Skink Chief

Paradoxical Pacifism Well-Known Member

Hah, almost the whole school year.

6. Scalenex
    Slann

The May 10th was a leftover from Bob's template where he put the date in a time I'm not used to seeing it. September 31st refers to me living outside of time.

7. Deed525
    Stegadon

Deed525 Well-Known Member

Nice idea, I like it.

Fancied a doodle - gave me a reason to do so ;D

8. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

spawning of Bob Well-Known Member

I win. Last to Post AND @Lord-Marcus blinked first when caught in the steely gaze of Great Aartzifartzi.
    In the inyterest of making no effort, I shall double post some of my story illustrations here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More are in the pipeline.

A cruel master is Aartzifartzi.

9. Hyperborean
    Ripperdactil

Hyperborean Well-Known Member

I was summoned!

Possibly however to use the pencil this time!

10. GuaDan
    Kroxigor

GuaDan Well-Known Member

How do these contests work?

11. Paradoxical Pacifism
    Skink Chief

Paradoxical Pacifism Well-Known Member

You submit your art piece to Scalenex by PM (private message). You need to do so before 9/30/18 at 12:00PM Midnight, Central US time.

Next, all of the art pieces that are submitted to Scalenex, will be shown on a separate voting thread where all forumites can vote on them. This voting process will take one month before the polls close, and the winner with the most votes is announced.

Oh, and i'm pretty sure you can't submit art pieces that were already done long before.

Maybe you can participate with one of your W.I.P sketches?

GuaDan likes this.
  12. GuaDan
    Kroxigor

GuaDan Well-Known Member

Thank you for explaining.
    I would like to do something a little more elaborate, but time is almost up.
    I have an unfinished Troglodon sketch which I can work on to fit the criteria, also turning it into something more fine.

13. Scalenex
    Slann

I'm open to extending the deadline because I haven't gotten much submitted yet. I guess these contests really need @spawning of Bob 's relentless pushing to market them.

14. pendrake
    Skink Priest

Busy on other projects, sorry...

15. Zeetherak
    Skink

Zeetherak Active Member

I have returned in the Nick of time.

Lets see what I can cook up.

16. Scalenex
    Slann

I'm extending entries for a month to give our artists more time.

17. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

spawning of Bob Well-Known Member

I can't Maths. Is this still open?

18. Scalenex
    Slann

Yes, for seven days and two hours.

Though turnout is quite small. I fear Art contests need Bob's cheerleading/pushing from day one to be most successful.

19. pendrake
    Skink Priest

What was the theme of this one?

20. Scalenex
    Slann