1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help yellow paint too thin?

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Braininthejar, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Braininthejar
    Saurus

Braininthejar Active Member

Trying to get an even coat with a yellow paint, but it keeps being too thin, flowing into holes and covering up the details, while leaving exposed areas underpainted.

My experience is mostly with dark colors, which tend to work fine (and if they don't, they work like a wash, which is fine - dark in the recesses looks good)

what should I do to make it work?

LizardWizard likes this.
  2. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Yeah I usually have the opposite problem and gob the paint on too thick :confused:

That being said, @Itepixcauh has some great tutorials that could help, this one painting yellow:

Also one on painting Imperial Fists and orange chameleon skinks:

3. bOdziO Wolf
    Ripperdactil

bOdziO Wolf Well-Known Member

Which paint provider do you use? Citadel? This question will help me to determine if that's a problem between the vendors or not, because I tend to have a similar problem in Vallejo, however, I found Game Extra Opaque series recently, which works around this problem by giving you the washed yellow (Heavy Gold Brown). Strategy here is to treat this paint as basecoat+wash done and go straight to highlights.

Captaniser, LizardWizard and Warden like this.
  4. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

I mostly use the citadel base paint (used to be bubonic brown, now zandri desert I think per the conversion chart) to paint my yellow heraldry
    apologies, old picture

KOTR 3.jpg

For highlights I don't use citadel... just cheap apple barrel paints :D

The quality isn't that good for apple barrel; I mostly use them for terrain or because they are cheap (I am not buying yellow citadel paint just to do a tiny amount of work with them).

I would recommend not using a wet brush maybe? I have had that issue before too, the yellow paint always seems to run. Same as red but even worse.

LizardWizard likes this.
  5. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

The yellow colors by Army Painter that I use are also very thin. Which actually is a good thing most of the time.
    What I discovered is that they need a white undercoat or you will go insane because you need a bazillion coats, or maybe thick ones.

So either prime white, or just do one coat of white over the area that should be yellow, then paint the yellow.

LizardWizard likes this.
  6. Braininthejar
    Saurus

Vallejo Model Color lime green.

I think it also shows my inexperience with large models. I wanted to build up to lighter colors, wut I should have probably done the opposite, start light and then wash.

LizardWizard likes this.
  7. bOdziO Wolf
    Ripperdactil

Vallejo yellows are... a bit problematic to say mildly, haha. Do you paint over black or over white primer?

8. Braininthejar
    Saurus

Black, sadly (most of the lizard is built around vallejo flat green, so building up from a dark background worked just fine. But the underbelly I wanted to be lighter, and I think I made a mistake that can no longer be undone at this stage. )

9. bOdziO Wolf
    Ripperdactil

Then what I suggest would be to paint white or off-white paint as a base-coat and then paint your yellow on top of it. It will be much easier to cover in general. (EDIT: this is same thing as @Aginor suggests basically)
    You can also mix-in a bit of white to your yellow at the first yellow layer to get more coverage. I hope you don't want a blend because its hours of glazing to be done oO.

10. Braininthejar
    Saurus

I shoul've waited a couple days for your advice. As it stands, I've spend thrice the time I should've on it, and it's still an uneven mess. I hope all the other colors on the model will hide it a bit.
    carno wip.JPG

11. WildColonial Boy
    Bastiladon

WildColonial Boy Well-Known Member

Have a look at this video:

The guy gets some great vibrant yellow by undercoating PINK

12. bOdziO Wolf
    Ripperdactil

Can I like this video twice? :D Great find!

13. PadawanNinja
    Saurus

PadawanNinja Active Member

Brent’s awesome! Love his channel. Hell, he’s half the reason I’m even here. Plan on using a lot of his tips as I pickup the brush for the first time in way too long.

bOdziO Wolf likes this.