1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Youtube is removing the dislike count

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Scalenex, Nov 11, 2021.

1. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Dislike this video before it's too late.

Obviously this is being done at the behest of Disney and a few other megacorps.

Lizards of Renown and Imrahil like this.
  2. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I couldn't care less. It is absolutely meaningless and has been for a long long time.
    The only thing is does (in most cases I've seen) is acting as a "this is brigaded by close-minded people" indicator.

They should remove the like counter as well, it is similarly idiotic.

Lizards of Renown and Imrahil like this.
  3. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

Ha!

4. Paradoxical Pacifism
    Skink Chief

Paradoxical Pacifism Well-Known Member

That'd be pretty bad for me though since that's kind of my way of "bookmarking" a video I wanna return to repeatedly rather than strictly liking it.

Like a favorite song/tune :D

Although since youtube's UI is pretty shitty, and i have like ~3,000 liked videos, it's pretty hard for me to find what I want, especially if it's older.

Edit: Just realized they're only removing the counter... nvm I don't care lol

5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Let's look at the bright side people.

This just provides even more justification for using Ad-block on YouTube!! :cool:

Lizards of Renown likes this.
  6. Scalenex
    Slann

I use a bunch of dislikes to warn me against click baity crap videos.

It doesn't help people on smart phones but if you use the Brave Browser you can bock all Youtube ads (and most other ads) without paying a penny.

Brave has optional ads, but you get crypto if you click on it. The crypto is near worthless, but it's still a net improvement over non-optional ads that don't pay you to look at them..

7. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

It is also immensely useful in the case of "how to" videos (home renovation, computing, wood working, safety, etc.). Having a good ratio is a strong indicator that the techniques/ideas being taught are sound.

Scalenex likes this.
  8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I mainly watch YouTube videos on my laptop so this isn't an issue for me. It's always jarring when I watch the odd YouTube clip on my phone, the ads are terribly intrusive. I've heard that "YouTube Vanced" works really well on android phones.

9. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Or maybe... just maybe... the content/message being expressed in the video wasn't very good. That could be a possibility too.

Scalenex likes this.
  10. Scalenex
    Slann

Do closed minded people dislike things out of spite? Sometimes.

I think the dislike button is usually used for the right reasons and throwing out the counter is a very bad idea.

My political views do not clean fall between Left and Right. Sometimes I am in the "closed minded group" sometimes I am the group that closed minded people are opposing.

Even petty discord has it's place and needs an outlet. Without the public dislike count, this means the ONLY way to express dislike publicly is via a comment and that is likely to make Youtube more toxic, not less toxic.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  11. Aginor
    Slann

Left and right doesn't have much to do with it. Close-minded people exist on all sides of the political spectrum.

Why should I care about the number of people disliking some video? Either I like it or not. It is easily possible to like something the majority hates, or to hate something the majority likes. It is of no real meaning to me.

12. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

And other close minded people would rather silence the opposition.

If it was, for instance, a video about table saw safety, I can think of some very obvious reasons why one might care if a great number of people disliked the video.

Scalenex likes this.
  13. Aginor
    Slann

Do people seriously take that kind of advice from YouTube? And then judge that content by the number of dislikes given by people who watch YT videos for that kind of stuff?

Well, I guess... it would have a little use then.
    Personally I'd rather not judge a video by that though.

14. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

You can actually find fantastic tutorials on YouTube for such things. Not everyone has access to a skilled acquaintance to guide them through the learning process. YouTube isn't just about cat videos and political crap. You can learn quite a bit on the website if you are determined to and you apply yourself. It shouldn't come as a surprise, in our hobby, painting tutorial videos are pretty much the gold standard for the dissemination of painting theory, technique and application.

However, like anything else on the web, it is important to separate accurate and useful content from inaccurate and potentially dangerous content. An abysmal like-dislike ratio is a potential red flag for someone who might not be very familiar with the subject. I'm not proposing that it is the end all and be all, but it can easily save oneself the time and trouble from having to watch a video that does not have sufficient value.

15. Scalenex
    Slann

I have never used Youtube for table saw safety but I have looked up videos for demonstrations of handyman or IT tasks that are outside my wheelhouse.

16. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I have... although I don't actually own a table saw! :p

17. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

To be fair, IMO there was no need for public like / dislike in the first place. They are helpful only for suggestions.
    Even with tutorials, it's better to read comments of people that have actually already tried to apply he suggestions.

With that said, when you "silence" something it's never a good sign, no matter the excuses you come up with.

Scalenex likes this.
  18. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I thought this was already supposed to have taken effect? I can still see down votes. Any idea on the time frame? Or is this just for selected channels (CNN, White House, Disney, etc.) to protect the snowflakes.

19. Scalenex
    Slann

So right now, creators have the OPTION to remove the dislike counter.

But so far everyone who chooses to exercise this option, they get mocked ruthlessly for being soft skinned snowflakes. So the plan is to eventually remove the option and make it mandatory.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2021
    NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  20. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

As they should. Social mocking for the win.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2021