1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TOW 1.5k Triple Steg

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Army Lists' started by Gothmog Lord of Balrogs, Mar 23, 2024.

1. Gothmog Lord of Balrogs
    Cold One

Gothmog Lord of Balrogs Active Member

===
    Lizards 1.5 Stegs [1500 pts]
    Warhammer: The Old World, Lizardmen
    ===

++ Characters [713 pts] ++

Skink Priest [375 pts]
    - Hand weapon
    - Light armour (Calloused hide)
    - General
    - Level 2 Wizard
    - Ancient Stegadon [Engine of the Gods]
    - Lore Familiar
    - Elementalism

Skink Chief [338 pts]
    - Additional hand weapon
    - Battle Standard Bearer
    - Stegadon [Giant blowpipes]
    - Armour of Meteoric Iron
    - Giant Blade

++ Core Units [425 pts] ++

21 Saurus Warrior [315 pts]
    - Hand weapons and shields
    - scaly skin (counts as heavy armour)
    - Spawn Leader (champion)
    - Standard bearer
    - Musician

10 Skink Skirmishers [50 pts]
    - Javelins and shields
    - calloused hides (counts as light armour)

10 Skink Skirmishers [60 pts]
    - Javelins and shields
    - The Scouts

++ Special Units [147 pts] ++

3 Kroxigors [147 pts]
    - Great weapons
    - Heavy armour (Scaly skin)

++ Rare Units [215 pts] ++

1 Stegadon (0-1 Stegadon or Troglodon per 1,000 points) [215 pts]
    - Great horns and giant bow
    - Skink Crew (x5) with hand weapons and javelins (required)

---
    Created with "Old World Builder"

[https://old-world-builder.com]

As the title says, triple steg is the concept.
    Worried about not having a level 3/4 at 1.5k, but hoping 3 behemoths gives my opponent something to deal with instead.

Stuck with the blowpipes on one steg due to WYSIWYG. Is what it is. Not the worst thing though.

Should I drop the magic weapon on the Chief for a Talisman?

And I have toyed with the idea of dropping the 3rd steg for a Bastiladon and another unit of Skinks.

2. BeardedLizard
    Skink

BeardedLizard Member

Looks fun and scary for 1500 pts! Giant Blowpipes might actually be pretty potent if the stegadon can use skink chief's BS to shoot.

I think swapping the weapon for talisman would be smart. If your opponent has ethreal troops or something else that requires a magic weapon a single skink chief isn't going to do much. I'd much rather make him more survivable. I like running my Stegadon chiefs with Talisman, warbanner and cavalry spear.

Dropping a 3rd steg for more skinks and Bastiladon would certainly make the list more balanced but then it's no longer a triple steg list. Definitely give the 3x version a try first?

3. Kalisto
    Temple Guard

Kalisto Active Member

Cool list but a bit bad leadership, lore familiar is nice but on a stegadon i'll consider battle magic with signature spell. You can't cast much else if you are on melee. A ward save could be necessary against dragonslayer or cannons. You have only WS 2 so will be VERY easy to hit you.

By the way, you cant use additional hand weapon AND ogre blade

4. SimeonHash
    Skink

SimeonHash New Member

It looks fun to play (if you like Skaven/Goblin kind of chaotic type of battles) , but lvl 2 mages for dispelling looks pretty bad in any army . Also Movement 6 isn't that good vs any defensive or attacking Armies . If you need to charge with this movement, against defensive type Armies you need at least 2 turns (which is bad) . If you face Offensive type of units/Armies ... they are probably charging you with higher movement and pretty much better offensive stats. Low leadership is something also very important that this type of list is lacking of... Cold Blood is ok(-ish) for Panic but in case of Brake testing ... we are pretty much toasted (so for me Slann is essential ...specially BSB with that big range) .
    In my opinion Defense > Offense items ... almost always

5. discomute
    Terradon

discomute Well-Known Member

I'd drop armour of meatoric iron for talisman of protection. 5+ unmodified is good but stegadons have built in 4+.

I do like my Saurus with spears

6. airjamy
    Bastiladon

airjamy Well-Known Member

I would def go for the Talisman. RAW, some people are interpreting that light armor and heavy armor are not equivalent, so you could argue that a Chief that can only go light armor cannot even buy Meteoric Iron. It is already not that great on him as the Steg already has a 4+. I would also drop the Giant Blade, that makes it so he drops poison. Just get an additional handweapon or cav spear so you can make use of his poison. So i would go Talisman on him and make your second Steg an Ancient as S6 really matters. I do also think that if you want to go for Krox you should have more Skinks to make use of their rule, 20 is already light, but i think you are already running all the skinks you have?

discomute likes this.
  7. Gothmog Lord of Balrogs
    Cold One

Gothmog Lord of Balrogs Active Member

Yeah, I'd made adjustments the other day. Realizes the Meteoric did nothing for me and Talisman was where it's at, plus I wanted to get the war banner on the Chief for static res.

Not as worried about LD because the Stegs are all immune to psychology and stubborn and cold blooded. And that's most the list. Really banking on CB for the rest I guess, but krox are hopefully winning more fights than losing.

Spear saurus would be nice in this list but I don't have 21 points to spare without shrinking the saurus

===
    Lizards 1.5 Anzac Cup Stegs [1496 pts]
    Warhammer: The Old World, Lizardmen
    ===

++ Characters [719 pts] ++

Skink Priest [375 pts]
    - Hand weapon
    - Level 2 Wizard
    - General
    - Ancient Stegadon [Engine of the Gods]
    - Lore Familiar
    - Elementalism

Skink Chief [344 pts]
    - Cavalry spear (if appropriately mounted)
    - Battle Standard Bearer [War Banner]
    - Stegadon [Giant blowpipes]
    - Talisman of Protection

++ Core Units [415 pts] ++

21 Saurus Warrior [315 pts]
    - Hand weapons and shields
    - scaly skin (counts as heavy armour)
    - Spawn Leader (champion)
    - Standard bearer
    - Musician

- Javelins and shields

- Javelins and shields

++ Special Units [147 pts] ++

3 Kroxigors [147 pts]
    - Great weapons
    - Heavy armour (Scaly skin)

++ Rare Units [215 pts] ++

1 Stegadon (0-1 Stegadon or Troglodon per 1,000 points) [215 pts]
    - Great horns and giant bow
    - Skink Crew (x5) with hand weapons and javelins (required)

---
    Created with "Old World Builder"

[https://old-world-builder.com]

8. discomute
    Terradon

discomute Well-Known Member

I fight with blocks of 20 and it's quite large compared to most. If you went down to 20 Saurus you'd be... 2 points off affording spears. Umm a cav spear to an additional hand weapon is an extra point. Not a lot of fat to trim here ..

9. airjamy
    Bastiladon

airjamy Well-Known Member

Why do you want to run the solo engine so much? The majority of the power of that upgrade is wasted as you have only one, it just seems strange to me? It is 2 or 0 i would say, dropping that and getting a bow could also give you the spears you want. I also do not think Lore Familar is worth it on a lvl 2, go Battle Magic for the signature and the possibility to get Fireball and Oaken Shield. Battle Magic has a lot of nice really low cost casts that a lvl 2 can get off. You can probably even fit the Glyph Necklace in if you drop the Lore Familar, Engine and maybe even the BSB, a 5++ on a 7 wound steg just gives you so much surviveability. I would also drop the musician on the Sauri, muscicians are just pretty bad right now.