1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TOW 1000 Points - First List

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Army Lists' started by saga, Mar 5, 2024.

1. saga
    Jungle Swarm

saga New Member

Hello all, I am looking to get my first learning game of TOW this weekend. Here is my list, and I welcome any thoughts or feedback you would be willing to share.

I am skipping the skink priest because I am not sure how many spells will land with a level 2. I am nervous about Stupidity on the cav, but they seem fun. I am considering trying to get drilled on them to help speed their way to combat where they will not be subject to Stupidity.

Thanks!

===
    Lizardmen [999 pts]
    Warhammer: The Old World, Lizardmen
    ===

++ Characters [480 pts] ++

Skink Chief [336 pts]
    - Cavalry spear (if appropriately mounted)
    - Light armour (Calloused hide)
    - Shield
    - Battle Standard Bearer
    - Stegadon
    - Glyph Necklace

Saurus Scar-Veteran [144 pts]
    - Cavalry spear (if appropriately mounted)
    - Heavy armour (Scaly skin)
    - Shield
    - General
    - Cold One
    - Talisman of Protection

++ Core Units [337 pts] ++

10 Skink Skirmishers [55 pts]
    - Hand weapons
    - Javelins
    - Shields
    - Light armour (Calloused hides)
    - Vanguard

10 Skink Skirmishers [50 pts]
    - Hand weapons
    - Javelins
    - Shields

10 Skink Skirmishers [50 pts]
    - Hand weapons
    - Javelins
    - Shields

12 Saurus Warriors [182 pts]
    - Hand weapons
    - Shields
    - Spawn Leader (champion)
    - Standard bearer

++ Special Units [182 pts] ++

5 Cold One Riders [182 pts]
    - Cavalry spears
    - Shields
    - Pack Leader (champion)

---
    Created with "Old World Builder"
    [https://old-world-builder.com]

2. discomute
    Terradon

discomute Well-Known Member

You don't need a shield with the skink chief as he can use the stegadons armour. There is nothing wrong with your list obviously cold ones are going to be high risk high reward.i presume you want the scar vet inside the cold ones otherwise a horned one is a must have.

Personally I'd be tempted to drop one set of skinks for more Saurus

Last edited: Mar 7, 2024
  3. Kalisto
    Temple Guard

Kalisto Active Member

Agree 16 saurus would be great at 1000.

consider also that your stupidity test is at 8 with cold ones if your general go with them consider hide of cold one for +1 armour save. If he goes some consider the horned one item to remove stupidity by him.
    Drilled is also very good if you have points for it

4. discomute
    Terradon

Stupid is 8 regardless, right?

5. Kalisto
    Temple Guard

Kalisto Active Member

yes and only two dices (no cold blooded). At higher points however you may play a Slann and test it at 9 which is ok. But 8 isn’t so high

6. RipperDerek
    Razordon

RipperDerek Active Member

A funny trick you can use (although not really at 1000pts) is to take an Elven Noble with the Pure of Heart virtue as an ally. Pure of Heart lets the saurus cav use his leadership 9 for their stupidity. (He also gives LD9 to everything else in range this way.)

7. Kalisto
    Temple Guard

Kalisto Active Member

Usually Allies are not played, neither at tournaments or between friends. But maybe it depends …x if you take an elf hero then you have also to take core points for that. Not sure it’s worth it

8. Gothmog Lord of Balrogs
    Cold One

Gothmog Lord of Balrogs Active Member

Tricksy elveses

9. Gothmog Lord of Balrogs
    Cold One

Yeah I would drop a unit of skinks and add 4 saurus. Gives them a really nice unit size for effects like fear etc at 1k and at least 3 ranks 5 wide or 2 and some chaff if 6+ wide. Then give magic weapons to your characters.

Burning blade on your Chief, and Biting Blade on your scar vet. Should have enough points in characters for that. Gives them both magical attacks. Flaming on the Chief is just an occasional bonus, but adding some AP/armour bane into your cold ones is gonna be good as you'll probably most often use them to try and Crack open hard units.

10. discomute
    Terradon

You lose poison with burning blade. I think I like additional hand weapons for the chief's.

11. Gothmog Lord of Balrogs
    Cold One

You would still have poison on the crew, because it applies to their javelins.

The question then becomes at 1k, what's needed more- for you to have poison on the Chief and Steg, or for you to have magical attacks.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2024
  12. discomute
    Terradon

Good question. Ethereal could really cause you grief at 1000. I do love biting blade as amazing value for a magic item.

13. Gothmog Lord of Balrogs
    Cold One

IMO in this list there are 30 (20 with my recommendation) skink skirmishers with poison and the Skink Crew with poison. There is enough poison to deal with the problem set poison addresses.

I would personally go with magical attacks to bypass Ethereal and any physical-only ward saves like the Enchanted-shield.

Also, Slightly meta dependent. If alot of your opponents are tomb kings... well flaming attacks is nice to have.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2024
  14. discomute
    Terradon

I don't disagree with you but just to be clear, it's not that I thought the army needed poison, just that I would personally take poison over flaming or magic attacks.

But I am assuming that you have a way to deal with ethereal and if you don't then I agree having a magic weapon could be good. Again, biting blade is my pick of the cheap ones.

Maybe put talisman of protection on the stegdon, remove glyph, and put hide of old ones on the scar vet? That saves 25 points for a biting blade (or sword of might) and possibly a flaming sword as well for your other character

15. saga
    Jungle Swarm

saga New Member

Thanks for all the feedback and discussion. I played a game a couple of weekends ago with a modified list. I ended up dropping 10 Skinks to beef up the Saurus, and that was probably worth the balance. 20 skinks were enough (though, are there ever really enough skinks?).

A few observations (playing into Dwarfs): The skink chief on stego is a beast, and I cannot imagine taking him out the list. The scarvet lacked impact, and AP-2 would have made a large difference. Our cav is fantastic if you can get them into combat. Skinks are the best - poison did work and they helped screen AND facilitate the charges I need. The Saurus seemed... pretty good? If only they could take a banner...

16. airjamy
    Bastiladon

airjamy Well-Known Member

The Chief Steg is one of our best units, he definitely is great. I do think our cav is really bad, they are unreliable and not even that tough at 1 wound, 3+ and T4, i think putting a scarvet in them is putting a ton of eggs in one basket, it is bound to lose you 1 in every few games you play.

There are never enough skinks. I think you run 70 at 2K points. :)

discomute likes this.
  17. Fer_Silfore
    Saurus

Fer_Silfore Member

i don't see the horned one in the PDF. only cold ones and carnosaurs for saurus mounts. did they add it in a new book/FAQ?

EDIT: nevermind i found it, didnt know it was in Echanted Items

Last edited: Apr 2, 2024