1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TOW 1000 vs Wood Elves

Discussion in 'Battle Reports' started by discomute, Mar 23, 2024.

1. discomute
    Terradon

discomute Well-Known Member

===
    1000 lizard carno [1000 pts]
    Warhammer: The Old World, Lizardmen
    ===

++ Characters [364 pts] ++

Saurus Oldblood [364 pts]
    - Great weapon
    - Heavy armour (Scaly skin)
    - General
    - Carnosaur
    - Armour of Meteoric Iron
    - Talisman of Protection

++ Core Units [436 pts] ++

11 Skink Skirmishers [60 pts]
    - Hand weapons
    - Javelins
    - Shields
    - Light armour (Calloused hides)
    - Vanguard

20 Saurus Warrior [321 pts]
    - Thrusting spears
    - Shields
    - Spawn Leader (champion)
    - Standard bearer
    - Musician

10 Skink Skirmishers [55 pts]
    - Hand weapons
    - Javelins
    - Shields
    - Light armour (Calloused hides)
    - Patrol Leader (champion)

++ Rare Units [200 pts] ++

1 Troglodon [200 pts]
    - Venomous talons and venom spray
    - Skink Oracle with hand weapon (required)

He had a treeman level 3 wizard
    Wardancers with a champ level 1 Wizard
    3x6 dryads
    12 archers

---

Turn 1 saw a set up and my vanguard skinks managed to kill 3 dryads

Turn 1 his archers hit 2 wounds on the Troglodon that was a sitting duck, wind blast did another 2 wounds, charged and smashed my skinks with dryads

20240323_115327.jpg

Turn 2 I succeeded in charging his treeman with my carnosaur, picked off a few models with the javs. His dancers when getting fired were able to FBIGO as a special rule.

Combat - massive disaster with just horrific rolling. One wound each to the carnosaur and treeman, I should have easily won that.

Turn 2
    Wardancers charge my carnosaur
    Archers kill the Troglodon
    Combat - my own idiocy prevails and I forget to issue a challenge. My rolling is again poor (not as bad as turn 1) and I do 4 wounds (2 saved by regen) and he does 5. My carnosaur is on one wound and loses by 1 and rolls 11 on his break test

Turn 3
    Carnosaur rallies. Need to get lucky to stay in this

My spearman just advance

20240323_130344.jpg
    Turn 3
    Carnosaur - Ultimately I take 3 wounds with double 5's to save and take 1 wound,bye old blood.

Double rear charges my Saurus with the dryads

Wardancers smash my skinks and move into combat with the Saurus

He does around 7 wounds, I do quite a few back but I lose combat by 1. They give ground (which is really weird with two in the back and one in the front)

Turn 4
    The Saurus fight on and again lose by 1. There is only one wardancers left and 8 Saurus. I think they'll prevail ultimately. However - they roll and 8 in the break test and flee (under 50%)

Wardancers catch me and I'm wiped out!

I might have forgotten a turn here but i was wiped out turn 5

Rolling really badly with my general was tough. Although he made me -1WS which was annoying as I was 4's to hit

The troglodon was useless but i suppose drew all the arrow fire

Skinks were okay and Saurus were close to prevailing against 3 units and a double rear charge, including wardancers throwing down 3-4 attacks per model.

Skirmishing around a block to deprive any charge is brutal!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2024
    BeardedLizard likes this.
  2. BeardedLizard
    Saurus

BeardedLizard Member

Sounds like a rough game! Lower point games can be extra swingy (Carno vs Treeman) if you get lucky/unlucky.

Troglodon seems too soft for his points. No way to keep him hidden either. Have you tried it against other opponents yet?

3. discomute
    Terradon

discomute Well-Known Member

Only ran another game against dwarves. He wasn't good then but did okay. High toughness of 5 helps. The issue with volleyfire from the wood elves was poison. Shooting 20 odd dice meant average was nearly 4 wounds per round rather than 1-2

Yeah for the carnosaur the -1WS was a big killer. As his treeman had WS of 5. So making the old blood 6 to 5 and the carnosaur 3 to 2 was brutal. Even then, the old blood has 11 attacks over two rounds (4+/3+) and did 1 wound. The carnosaur had 9 attacks (5+/3+ then D3 wounds) and did 1 wound. 4 stomps (3+) did 2 wounds. And of the 4 I did, he regenerated 2 of them, although they still count for combat res. So 4 wounds when average rolls would give me 10 if my maths are correct.

That all said, I think he would have won on points even then. Additionally, my Saurus probably shouldn't have broken as I realised later the 50% rule is for panic tests. I don't think they out numbered me 2-1.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2024
    BeardedLizard likes this.