1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. 1500 Point Beginner List

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Army Lists' started by Pilgrim Pod, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Pilgrim Pod
    Skink

Pilgrim Pod New Member

Hey guys. I've got an awesome gaming club that I go to pretty much twice every week and they've got an awesome foundation of Fantasy players. Lots of AWESOME!!!11!! There's Skaven, Ogre, O&G, WoC, Empire and Beastmen players that frequent there on a regular basis and I'm to be the token Lizardmen player. With that in mind I'm trying to conjure a basic and simple list of which to reacquaint myself with the rules of the game and also a force than can be expanded upon in the future. So without further ado here's my...

1500 Point Training Wheel List...

Lords

Slann Mage-Priest 315pts
    - BSB
    - Lore of Life
    - The Focused Rumination
    - Plaque of Tepok

Heroes

Scar Vet 166pts
    -Cold One
    -LA
    -GW
    -Venom of the FF
    -Dragon Helm
    -Amulet of Itzi

Scar Vet 160pts
    -Cold One
    -LA
    -Charmed Shield
    -Dawnstone
    -Burning Blade of Chotec

Core

24 Saurus Warriors 294pts
    -Full Command

10 Skink Skirmishers 70pts

Special

20 Temple Guard 355pts
    -Full Command

1500 points

Am I along the right track here? :)

2. david l
    Chameleon Skink

david l New Member

Certainly on the right track!

Since you are taking Temple Guard, I would absolutely go with discard 6s over ethereal. Right now, if your Slann is getting hit much, you are either horribly unlucky or have pretty much already lost.

Firstly, illegal for 2 talismans - dragonbane and dawnstone. Put Dawnstone with a guy who will always have a 1+ save. Venom is just giving magical attacks, and you could get a magic weapon (Sword of Might) for about the same cost.

Illegal for taking dragonbane gem twice in the army. "common magic items" means literally nothing. Enchanted Shield does nothing, since you cannot have better than a 1+ armour.

3. Ferocious
    Temple Guard

Ferocious New Member

david is pretty much on it ;)

u could go

scar vet;
    light armour , cold one, gw
    Vofff
    amulet of iztl
    dragon helm

1+sv, 2+wsv vs first wound after armour saves

scar vet;
    light armour, cold one
    Burning blade
    charmed shiled
    dawn stone

the rest looks nice

4. Pilgrim Pod
    Skink

Pilgrim Pod New Member

That was an editing error sorry, thanks for pointing that out and all of the other advice. I've obviously misinterpreted things incorrectly or just read them plain wrong. I'll go have a read back over things.

Thanks for offering a setup for my Scar Vets Ferocious. I'll take a closer look at their items as being new to Fantasy in general I'm not familiar with most things! :)

Thanks for the super fast advice fellas!

5. Ferocious
    Temple Guard

Ferocious New Member

that set up i use aswel,

give both a 5/6 chance surviving the first cannon ball, and hopefull be in combat by they shoot again,
    they also kill cav like their is no tomorrow ;)

hope they work for u!

6. Pilgrim Pod
    Skink

Pilgrim Pod New Member

I've amended my list to accommodate the Scar Vets but it pushes me over 1500 points. Am I better off dropping a unit of Skinks or The Becalming Cogitation to squeeze them in?

7. Ferocious
    Temple Guard

Ferocious New Member

depends how much u are over, u can always skip the dawnstone on the scar vet, but dont send him in to high str troops than

8. Pilgrim Pod
    Skink

Pilgrim Pod New Member

I'll leave the list without the extra discipline and keep the Dawnstone for now and see how I get on. It enables me a few extra bodies in my Saurus block then too. List is amended at the top. Like I said before, I'm just looking for a solid yet basic list to get to grips with my Lizardmen and the rules in general. Thanks again! :)

9. Ferocious
    Temple Guard

Ferocious New Member

tough list to beat at 1500 pts =)

10. Pilgrim Pod
    Skink

Pilgrim Pod New Member

I'm just sooo WAAC!!!11!! It's just how I roll. :D

11. Anubris
    Saurus

Anubris New Member

Just wanted to reply on this list of yours! I copied the exact list last weekend for a 1500 point game against dark elves. I didn't have time to make a list myself, and wanted to try a Slann for the first time. I also didn't need a lot of dummys for the list because it only involves 2 big units.

The list worked out great!

His list (roughly) lv 4 sorc (shadow) in spearmen block (sac. dagger), 12 x-bowmen, 5 dark riders, CoC with a Master BSB (hydra banner), hydra, 12 black guard

I managed to charge in his CoC unit with my scar-vet (great weapon one) at turn 2. I issued challenge --> he declined (his BSB cannot take magic items becuase of the hydra banner) --> I ended up winning combat (killed 2 knights), he fails his break test 2 times (BSB) and is forced to flee. Because a BSB cannot flee I wiped out his deathstar unit in a single combat turn with the scar-vet. After this the fight went into my favor.

Other fun stuff: I had a skin skirmisher unit fight his darkriders for 3 turns. I managed to shoot one down before combat and killed 1 later in combat. Buffing my skinks with +4 toughness made it a surprising fight. I also managed to thin out his black guard with poison shots and awakening the wood, moving the skinks around the black guard to prevent charges. The third skirmisher group inflicted a wound on the hydra before it could get in range to flame my saurus, giving it strength 4 instead of strength 5 flames.

He had a lot of back luck on the caster phase. Several times he rolled double 1's, including pit of shades. I think next time I fight against DE I should use lore of light (if the points allow it) to boost my initiative against that annoying pit of shades spell.

Anyway, your list was a great way for me to try out a Slann + scar-vet cowboz. Thanks!