1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS 1500pts vs Beastclaw Riders

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by Lacelotte, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Lacelotte
    Skink

Lacelotte New Member

Hey guys! Long time no speak (though constantly lurking!)

I'm absolutely at my wits end trying to counter these ridiculously overpowered Beastclaw Riders and need your help.

My friend bought the Icewind Avalanche battalion pack and has started running it with two Thundertusks (I think that's what they are called). They basically deal 6 mortal wounds each on a roll of 2+ in the shooting phase. That's 12 MW at a range of 14/18 inches every turn. That's not even getting onto the ridiculous number of other ranged and melee attacks they get. Oh and their ability to heal D3 wounds each hero phase!

Last night I tried concentrating on hitting him with solar engine from Basi and the 25 inch ranged attack from EoG, using Slann to control. Nothing... for every few wounds I was able to inflict they were just healed and then once I got within 20 inches or so he just ran towards me, used ranged attack and killed EoG in one shooting phase.

Please can you guys help in putting together a 1500 point army that would even come close to knocking him down a peg or two!

I run an aggressive setup with saurus warriors and saurus sunblood, rather than guard.

Any help much appreciated!

Bowser likes this.
  2. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Leaders
    Battlemage (100)
    Celestial Hurricanum With Celestial Battlemage (320)
    Saurus Scar-Veteran on Cold One (100)
    Skink Starpriest (100)

Battleline
    10 x Saurus Warriors (100)
    - Clubs
    10 x Saurus Warriors (100)
    - Clubs
    10 x Skinks (80)
    - Meteoric Javelins & Star Bucklers

Units

Behemoths
    Bastiladon (300)
    Bastiladon (300)

Total: 1500/1500

Something like this will give some bang for your buck, of course celestial hurricanum is not in everyones army roster, but change it up to suit your play style and army.

Seraphage, Lacelotte and scubrat like this.
  3. Lacelotte
    Skink

Lacelotte New Member

Thanks bowser. I've actually just ordered a BattleMage. I assume it is being ran as a Jade one?

Have you ever faced this [Beastrider] army? It's ridiculous!

Buldi and Bowser like this.
  4. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Jade battlemage, only had one game against the beastclaws. I had a similar build to this, and while I lost, it was a close game, ans gave me some room to improve and tweak the list.

Lacelotte likes this.
  5. scubrat
    Temple Guard

scubrat Well-Known Member

I don't think there is a seraphon only army that can actually face up to the beastclaw raiders, which is sad but @Bowser's list is good.

Buldi, Lacelotte and Bowser like this.
  6. Lacelotte
    Skink

Lacelotte New Member

Thanks for the input guys.

It wasn't until I read another thread recently which suggested using an Empire Battle Mage that I'd even considered fielding a mixed seraphon/empire army. Looking at the stats on the celestial hurricanum I definitely feel this is the way to go when going up against this enemy.

Bowser likes this.
  7. Jason839
    Salamander

Jason839 Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong please, but I was under the impression our carnosaurs do well against these guy.

Bowser likes this.
  8. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

In general yes they are great monster hunters, but they need the first attack, which can be tough to get when they move faster.

9. Padre
    Stegadon

Padre Well-Known Member

Not sure if we have anything we can handle it, but massed numbers often will help mitigate massed mortal wounds. When you only have ten models in a unit, 6 mortal wounds really hurts, but when you have 40, it is less of an issue.

In terms of other order models, cannons are another good solution. 30 handgunners, a couple empire cannons, a free guild general, and a celestial hurricanum will cause a lot of damage at range. The general can buff the cannons and the handgunners so they hit in a 2+.

Bowser likes this.
  10. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Unless you find a Frostlord on Stonehorn. In the first charge, it will kill 20 of those saurus... and then battleshock test. :(

11. SimonDread
    Saurus

SimonDread Member

Skink chief (General, Relict Blade) 60
    Scar-veteran on carno 260 (pheonix stone) 260
    Skink Priests (priestly tappimg) 100

Stegodon 260
    2 salamanders 120
    3 Handlers 40
    3 Terradons 140
    30 Skinks 240
    20 Skinks 160
    Shadowstrike Starhost 120
    1500/1500

Bowser likes this.
  12. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Seraphage Well-Known Member

If you think that hurts you should have been in the last tournament in my region.
    Destruction force with 4 of the 6damage beasts that hit at 2+ with 40 goblins spread in such a way that you couldn't go near the beasts without being stuck on them - with the 1" coherency they literally covered all of his map, carefully placed in a way that only his beasts could move towards you and not vice versa - and a goblin shaman to put mystic shield on the 40 goblins and make you stick even more on them.. even the most experienced players didn't feel like playing with it because they couldn't do anything about it !

The only comment they did was " I ll just wait for the 2nd Generals' Handbook with the balance of these guys" ( Oh these 4 were placed in such a way that all could hit u but also al heal each other so even if you focused one, it d heal 4 D3 wounds next round ! )

Bowser and scubrat like this.
  13. scubrat
    Temple Guard

scubrat Well-Known Member

That guy sounds like a tool.

Killer Angel and Bowser like this.
  14. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Yeah, only because you can do a thing, it doesn't mean that you should. Unless you want to be "that guy".

scubrat and Bowser like this.