1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TOW 2000k Fist of Tlanxla

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Army Lists' started by Mikebiazzo, Mar 14, 2024.

1. Mikebiazzo
    Skink

Mikebiazzo Member

Hi folks,

So I present to you this army list which is centered on a Slaynn (yes, Slaynn), with Ilusion: Doppelganger, Crystal, Miasmatic and Apotheosis, to give him terror with the Totem of Profecy. I didn't create him as a dragon killer (which I'm not really sure he could handle it), but a combat support who could obliterate the flanks enemys as trolls, mounster etc. I'm going to play either with the Empire or Orcs and Goblins, but I always try to do my army lists without thinking about any opponent specifically.
    The core are the saurus warriors and the temple guard, who could have the support of the stegadon and the bastilodon. If everything goes as planned, I will have three units with terror and a Slaynn very resistent, with his ward save, regeneration and Apotheosis.

===
    Fist of Tlanxla [1998 pts]
    ===
    ++ Personajes [741 pts] ++
    Slann Mage-Priest [470 pts]
    - Hand weapon
    - General
    - Battle Standard Bearer [Totem Of Prophecy]
    - Ogre Blade
    - Lore Familiar
    - Transcendent Healing
    - Illusion
    Saurus Scar-Veteran [160 pts]
    - Hand weapon
    - Heavy armour (Scaly skin)
    - Shield
    - Cold One
    - Horned One
    - Potion of Speed
    - Giant Blade
    Skink Chief [111 pts]
    - Cavalry spear (if appropriately mounted)
    - Light armour (Calloused hide)
    - Shield
    - Terradon
    - Ruby Ring of Ruin
    ++ Unidades Básicas [768 pts] ++
    20 Saurus Warriors [314 pts]
    - Thrusting spears
    - Shields
    - Spawn Leader (champion)
    - Standard bearer
    18 Temple Guard [349 pts]
    - Hand weapons
    - Halberds
    - Shields
    - Revered Guardian (champion) [Sun Standard Of Chotec]
    - Standard bearer
    - Musician
    10 Skink Skirmishers [55 pts]
    - Hand weapons
    - Javelins
    - Shields
    - Light armour (Calloused hides)
    - Vanguard
    10 Skink Skirmishers [50 pts]
    - Hand weapons
    - Javelins
    - Shields
    ++ Unidades Especiales [274 pts] ++
    Bastiladon [175 pts]
    - Thunderous bludgeon
    - Solar Engine
    - Skink Crew (x3) with hand weapons and Javelins
    3 Terradon Riders [99 pts]
    - Hand weapons
    - Fireleech bolas
    ++ Unidades Singulares [215 pts] ++
    Stegadon [215 pts]
    - Great horns and giant bow
    - Skink Crew (x5) with hand weapons and Javelins (required)
    ---

What do you all think about?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2024
  2. BeardedLizard
    Skink

BeardedLizard Member

I like it a lot! I'm personally too much of a pussy to run the murder Slann but this looks like a fun iteration of it. I do wonder if the Transcendent Healing is enough to keep the Slann alive or should you run Ethreal. You're most likely going to be hit on a 3+ and then save on 5++/5+++ which means like 1/3 of enemy attacks are going to wound.

Mikebiazzo likes this.
  3. Mikebiazzo
    Skink

Mikebiazzo Member

Yes, but don't forget he has Apotheosis too. He's likely to charge most of the times, which means attacking first, so against a unit, not so much would respond.

4. BeardedLizard
    Skink

BeardedLizard Member

The reason it worries me is if you charge and take any wounds during that turn, you won't have a chance to cast Apotheosis before enemy can charge you. But the whole playstyle is all about living on the edge so maybe that's an acceptable risk.

Mikebiazzo likes this.
  5. Mikebiazzo
    Skink

Mikebiazzo Member

Well, it's something to think about, thanks. It can happen also to miscast Doppelganger, which could be more sad than devastating xD but, as you said, I'm searching for adrenaline ^^

6. discomute
    Terradon

discomute Well-Known Member

I'd consider dropping the terradon and instead move the stegadon mount to the chief.

Drop potion of swiftness and giant blade for biting blade and an upgrade to an old blood with 5 spare points. Downgrade sun standard for war banner and then you are 8 points off a talisman of protection for the old blood on a horned one.

7. Mikebiazzo
    Skink

Mikebiazzo Member

If I do this, could the skink chief shoot with the Giant bow against one unit and use the ring against another?
    Thanks for your suggestions. I think I will sacrifice the Sun banner for the oldblood ^^ but I will keep the giant sword and the potion, adding the paymaster's coin. I like the idea of being very agressive. That's why I choose the name of the Old One hehe

8. RipperDerek
    Razordon

RipperDerek Active Member

There are no rules in the book for firing the bow, so you have to house rule how it works anyways. My group ruled it shoots like a dark elf scourgerunner chariot, which means a character can't fire it. But your group doesn't have to use that interpretation.

9. Kalisto
    Temple Guard

Kalisto Active Member

Charmed shield cost just 3 points more and give your heroes a once 5+ ward save against a cannon ball or a ballista thrower…enough before charge them….

Personally prefer ethereal on Slann, especially charging normal units. Against dragons is still good since you are immune to all dragons attack (that hit and wound at 2+ in any case…)

I don’t understand why you need a fear banner. With the new rules you auto break if you fail the test since dragon or units have more than twice your unit of strength anyway. So the -1 leadership didn’t change a lot especially if you want to cast upon you apotheosis. And you still test fear/terror with 3d6 and can repeat it with bsb

BeardedLizard likes this.
  10. Mikebiazzo
    Skink

Mikebiazzo Member

Well, that's a good point about being ethereal... I will think about it until tomorrow, when I'll combat.

One you've casted Apotheosis on a miniature, if it already has fear, now it increases to Terror. So, the idea was to have a terrorific slann, giving him facilities to win against different units. What do you mean "you autobreak"? In which situations that would happen?

11. Kalisto
    Temple Guard

Kalisto Active Member

Both terror and break test works completely different now, maybe is a bit short here to summarize so it’s better to check the rules ;)

12. Mikebiazzo
    Skink

Mikebiazzo Member

Yes, I know, but what it confused me was your perspective: I don't see terror as something deffensive rather than offensive. If my slann is going to a combat is not to loose it, but slay it, and by that condition, terror is useful. Of course, many things can happen, but that's the plan and I will search battles that let me atach to it
    That being said, I see the interest of being ethereal, so I'm thinking about change the banner and with those points plus regeneration, afford Higher state of mind. Thanks for that ^^
    I'll finally going against Dwarves, so being ethereal... But I want to try it. After the battle I'll write the conclusions.:hungry:

13. BeardedLizard
    Skink

BeardedLizard Member

Very curious to hear how well the murder frog performs.

14. discomute
    Terradon

Missing from the Lizardmen rulebook is a line that says "once per turn the crew can use the giant bow (etc) to shoot". Is the chief part of the crew? Well there is a line in an irrelevant section of the book p205 or 206 that suggests he is. But this is certainly something I would discuss with your opponent beforehand. Even on this forum there is no clear consensus - rolling to decide is a viable option imho.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2024
    Mikebiazzo likes this.
  15. Mikebiazzo
    Skink

Mikebiazzo Member

Well, muy real question wasn't if he can shoot the giant bow, because I'm a believer he, by logic, can do it (AND also because the rules don't clarify it):happy:.
    The real question IS: could he shoot his weapon to a unit A and use the power of the Ruby Ring to a unit B? Or choosing the same objective is mandatory?
    Aaaaaaand, something I just read! The Skink chief would be 7 wounds? Because it was the rules say when you have a character on a chariot...:eek:

discomute likes this.
  16. RipperDerek
    Razordon

RipperDerek Active Member

Yes, the combined model has 7 wounds. And yes, you can shoot at one thing and fireball a different one.

Skink Chiefs on stegadons are VERY good.

17. discomute
    Terradon

Interesting, I didn't know you could shoot and fireball.

The combined model is 7 wounds and all attacks are made against his WS of 4. This is intentional.

According to the RAW his special rule of poison also applies to the stegadon. And the crew. It is less clear if this is intentional.

Kalisto likes this.