1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. 2500 Death Slann Tournament List

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Army Lists' started by Scalenex, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

I got about a month to put a list together (and try to improve the paint jobs on my largely unpainted army). With a month to ponder this I’m up for listening to revision ideas or even scrapping the concept.

Slann with BSB, Banner of Eternal Flame, Bane Head, Cupped Hands, Three Disciplines (Rumination, Focus, Cognition)
    Skink Priest with Cube of Darkness, Dragonfly of Quicksilver
    25 Skinks 3 Kroxigor, FC
    24 Skinks, 3 Kroxigor, FC
    10 Skink Skirmishers with Javelin and Bravo
    26 Temple Guard, FC, Iron Curse Icon, Standard of Swiftness
    Stegadon
    9 Chameleon Skinks with Stalker
    3 Terradons
    2 x 2 Salamanders

I play mostly vs. dwarves and don't get a lot of opportunities to play a wide variety of armies, so I want to try something different from my usual this time around. I played a doubles tournament at a store with my dwarf friend and we won. I believe the singles tournament will be a similar format. Three random pairings. Three scenarios that are very slight variations variations on the six basic scenarios in the BRB and the first one will be a battleline. You get Tournament points for winning and various bonus points for various secondary objectives.

Example of bonus points: General surives the battle, killing enemy general, points per forest or hill controlled, points in the Blood and Glory scenario for winning by breaking point (instead of winning by having time run out and using points).

I played a fairly vanilla Life Slann army for the doubles tournament and want to try something new next time. I never tried the Lore of Death and I think it could help me get bonus points for sniping an enemy general in at least one of the scenarios. Also knocking out strategic enemy characters often makes tactical sense. One of the strongest players plays TK, and I think it's possible some players may want to take the new Vampire Counts out for a spin, so forcing crumbles would be nice. I also am fond of Salamanders and am interested in combing Sally blasting with Doom and Darkness enhanced panic tests. With five skirmisher units I also plan to snatch up as many bonus points for holding terrain features or other secondary objectives as possible. I’m going to hope Watchtower because I haven’t worked out a good strategy for those but I’m taking a flaming banner for the TG just in case (and for hydras and the like).

Everything but the Slann and Temple Guard is M6 (the Temple Guard are M5) the plan is to close the distance ASAP to get in range of Death snipe spells. Purple Sun seems risky and can piss people off. I only plan to use it if I am losing and it's my only hope.

2. Scalenex
    Slann

No one answered the first post, the tourney is in two days and I changed my mind on the details but kept the concept refining it based on some back and forth dialogue with my good friend. I steered it towards larger blocks and the items I have with better paint jobs.

Slann, Cupped Hands, Banehead, BSB Standard of disciplines, three disciplines (Scrutiny and the two Focus ones everyone likes)

40 Saurus warriors full command.
    37/3 Skroxigor full command

31 Temple Guard full command, banner of eternal flame, dragon fly of quicksilver
    2 x 7 Chamo Skinks with champion

2 x 3 Salamander packs, no extra handlers.

Plan is pretty simple, march forward. Use SOulblight to soften up target's toughness for burning by Salamanders and Doom of Darkness to promote failed panic tests. Banehead the nastiest wizard and snipe him with Death spells, then move on to BSB and hopefuly the enemy battle will collapse. Purple Sun is a last resort.

I'll try to summarize battle reports in a few days

3. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

Whew! Talk about a deathstar unit!! They'll be facing a freaking meat grinder, lol. Do attacks from Banner of Eternal Flame count as magical as well as flaming? I've always wondered that.

I'm interested to see your outcome. Looks like your opponent wont be able to:

A) flank you because of the Salamanders.
    B) get you with warmachines due to your chameleons. (unless he has a lot of them)
    C) stand up to you in close combat.
    D) have very effective characters (seeing how they'll all be dead by turn 3 :D )

Good luck!

4. Scalenex
    Slann

Thanks, I don't see how Salamanders would prevent me from being flanked though. If a flanking unit doesn't die or panick from a fire basting, the Salamanders would be in serious trouble against most light cavalry and other flanking units.

5. Turtleneck
    Cold One

Turtleneck New Member

salamanders eat most light cav :)

6. Scalenex
    Slann