1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TOW 2K comp Stegspam

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Army Lists' started by airjamy, Mar 27, 2024.

1. airjamy
    Bastiladon

airjamy Well-Known Member

After catching my first loss today i have kinda come hard around about wizards, i really do not think you want one. I also think having wards on our 3 big monsters is key. Sadly, Armor of Destiny on Oldblood, 2 Steg Chiefs, Glyph Necklace and Talisman barely do not fit with 3 Bastiladon (6 points too many grr) so i have now come around to trying something like this. 2 Bastiladons also give you just not enough to play with, you then get like 100 points that you cannot really do anything with. The magic weapon on the chief is there to have something vs Ethereal, but Etheareal would definitely be annoying for this list. I would love to find space for a Ruby Ring of Ruin but i cannot find it without dropping either one of the 5 monsters or a ward save. I have also kinda liked pumping up the Saurus block a little bit, there is some value in having a block that can do some damage to enemy T3S3 infantry like Night Goblins, Skeletons, Zombies or Men at Arms.

What do you think?

Lizardmen - Steg spam - [1999pts]

# Main Force [1999pts]

## Characters [999pts]
    Saurus Oldblood [386pts]: Hand Weapon, Heavy Armour, Great Weapon, Shield, General, Carnosaur, Heavy Armour, Slashing talons, Armour of Destiny
    Skink Chief [305pts]: Hand Weapon, Light Armour, Biting Blade, Talisman Of Protection. Stegadon. Giant Bow
    Skink Chief [308pts]: Hand Weapon, Light Armour, Additional Hand Weapon, Glyph Necklace. Stegadon. Giant Bow

## Core [540pts]
    Saurus Warriors [210pts]:
    • 14x Saurus Warrior [14pts]: Hand Weapon, Heavy Armour, Shield
    • 1x Spawn Leader [7pts]
    • 1x Standard Bearer [7pts]
    Skink Skirmishers [90pts]: Vanguard
    • 17x Skink [5pts]: Hand Weapon, Light Armour, Javelins and Shields
    Skink Skirmishers [90pts]: Vanguard
    • 17x Skink [5pts]: Hand Weapon, Light Armour, Javelins and Shields
    Skink Skirmishers [50pts]:
    • 10x Skink [5pts]: Hand Weapon, Light Armour, Javelins and Shields

## Rare [460pts]
    Ancient Stegadon [230pts]: 5x Skink Crew, Hand Weapon, Javelin and Shield, Great horns, Giant Bow
    Ancient Stegadon [230pts]: 5x Skink Crew, Hand Weapon, Javelin and Shield, Great horns, Giant Bow

2. BeardedLizard
    Skink

BeardedLizard Member

I like it! Focusing on saves with multi-wound monsters is the way to go. I'm still not 100% sure if armour of destiny is worth the points, but also have never tested it. One tweak you could try is lowering the amount of skinks and getting a few more saurus, maybe with spears? I feel like Saurus perform best either in minimum size or in bigger blobs with spears.

I've been toying with a very similar list with Scarvet Carnosaur, Priest on Ancient Stegadon and Skink chief BSB on Stegadon. Very interested in hearing how well your list does so hoping for a battle report in the future :)

discomute and airjamy like this.
  3. airjamy
    Bastiladon

I have used that setup as well along with 3 Basties! The big question in this list is if Destiny is worth it, it sounds quite strong to me especially since all the turbo dragons he will be hunting will probably not have alot of answers vs Destiny. The Priest felt meh to me, i thought i wanted him for dispels but he often is in combat or doing other stuff, he is too expensive to just use for dispel duty.

I can see dropping a unit of skinks, the 5th unit is sometimes a bit hard to use. I might try it with spears yeah.

4. airjamy
    Bastiladon

Maybe something like this? Then i can also put a magical weapon in the Saurus unit for more anti Ethereal

Lizardmen - Quad steg Oldblood - [1999pts]
    # Main Force [1999pts]
    ## Characters [999pts]
    Saurus Oldblood [386pts]: Hand Weapon, Heavy Armour, Great Weapon, Shield, General, Carnosaur, Heavy Armour, Slashing talons, Armour of Destiny
    Skink Chief [308pts]: Hand Weapon, Light Armour, Additional Hand Weapon, Glyph Necklace
    • 1x Stegadon [215pts]: 5x Skink Crew, Hand Weapon, Javelin and Shield, Great horns, Giant Bow
    Skink Chief [305pts]: Hand Weapon, Light Armour, Biting Blade, Talisman Of Protection
    • 1x Stegadon [215pts]: 5x Skink Crew, Hand Weapon, Javelin and Shield, Great horns, Giant Bow
    ## Core [540pts]
    Saurus Warriors [290pts]: Thrusting Spear, Shieldwall
    • 16x Saurus Warrior [14pts]: Hand Weapon, Heavy Armour, Shield
    • 1x Spawn Leader [27pts]: Sword of Might
    • 1x Standard Bearer [7pts]
    2x Skink Skirmishers [50pts]:
    2x Skink Skirmishers [75pts]: Vanguard
    • 14x Skink [5pts]: Hand Weapon, Light Armour, Javelins and Shields
    ## Rare [460pts]
    2x Ancient Stegadon [230pts]: 5x Skink Crew, Hand Weapon, Javelin and Shield, Great horns, Giant Bow

5. RipperDerek
    Razordon

RipperDerek Active Member

I have 2 comments -

1) at competitive events there tend to be the big dragons (Star Dragon, Necrolith Dragon, Chaos Dragon, etc.). They will beat that carnosaur build in combat most of the time, and the stegadons almost all the time.

2) You should definitely bring a BSB. IMO it is more important than a ward save. The +1 combat resolution on a steg is super valuable, and the ability to reroll break tests is also important to keep your ld8 general on the table. One bad round of combat where he loses by 1 and breaks can end the game.

There are basically only 3 oldblood builds that can compete with the end game dragons (at least, there are 3 that I know of). They are Ogre Blade + Talisman, Tzunki + Talisman (performs slightly worse than Ogre Blade in simulations), and the Dragon Slayer Sword (which is best against all dragons except the Tomb King one). I think you are basically priced into running one of these if you want to be competitive.

Kalisto and discomute like this.
  6. Gothmog Lord of Balrogs
    Cold One

Gothmog Lord of Balrogs Active Member

With DSS, you also can do the Glyph Necklace over the Talisman if you want, adding some magic resistance to the Carno.

7. Awfulcomet
    Jungle Swarm

Awfulcomet New Member

Have you tried building a Skink priest build on a steg and running battle magic?
    If so, what magic items did you try, and did it do well?

8. Kalisto
    Temple Guard

Kalisto Active Member

I haven't played him but i had thought the following for him
    - Arcane familiar to have fireball+engine of gods (if you dont have any other caster, since you dont want him in melee)
    - Earthen Rod + a ward save (talisman of protection in first hand, since magic resistance is not so useful with Toughness 6) OR Aura of Quetzl (WS 2 means everyone hit you at 2+ or 3)