1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TOW 2K, more stegadons!

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Army Lists' started by airjamy, Feb 24, 2024.

1. airjamy
    Bastiladon

airjamy Well-Known Member

++ Characters [995 pts] ++
    Skink Chief [318 pts]
    (Additional hand weapon, Light armour (Calloused hide), Battle Standard Bearer, Stegadon, Talisman of Protection)

Skink Priest [365 pts]
    (Hand weapon, Light armour (Calloused hide), Level 2 Wizard, Ancient Stegadon, Glyph Necklace, Battle Magic)

Saurus Scar-Veteran [312 pts]
    (Hand weapon, Heavy armour (Scaly skin), Shield, General, Carnosaur, Dragon Slaying Sword)

++ Core Units [544 pts] ++
    10 Skink Skirmishers [60 pts]
    (Hand weapons, Javelins, Shields, Light armour (Calloused hides), Scouts)

10 Skink Skirmishers [60 pts]
    (Hand weapons, Javelins, Shields, Light armour (Calloused hides), Scouts)

10 Skink Skirmishers [50 pts]
    (Hand weapons, Javelins, Shields, Light armour (Calloused hides))

17 Saurus Warrior [274 pts]
    (Hand weapons, Shields, Heavy armour (Scaly skin), Shieldwall, Spawn Leader (champion) [Charmed Shield], Standard bearer)

++ Rare Units [460 pts] ++
    1 Ancient Stegadon [230 pts]
    (Great horns and giant bow, Skink Crew (x5) with hand weapons and Javelins (required))

1 Ancient Stegadon [230 pts]
    (Great horns and giant bow, Skink Crew (x5) with hand weapons and Javelins (required))

---
    Created with "Old World Builder"

Have been playing this to pretty good effect! 5 T6 monsters, 2 of which that go in front have 7 wounds and a 5+ ward is very hard for people to deal with. With the 4 Great Bows and 2 scouting skink units you can start the shooting pressure from turn 1 even if you have the first turn, and the skinks control the board very nicely. Saurus block is there because it must be. The Scarvet is the hail mary answer to an enemy Dragon and a good option as a general, him together with a Steg does actually do quite a bit of damage. The Skink Priest is there to have a little bit of magic defence with Battle Magic to do the Assailment signature in close combat, but to be honest, i have found magic quite lackluster and possibly even ignorable in TOW, so just going another Chief on a Steg in that slot might even be better. The Skink Steg is the best one, giving Poisoned Attacks to all attacks is actually pretty key with their low WS, all the damage they do just adds up. What is also quite nice is that your last drop (the characters) are actually 1000 points of the army, so you can basically always see where your opponent's stuff goes to be able to deploy your answers accordingly. Especially the Scarvet, who 100% only wants to hunt Behemoths, really likes that. What do you think, any pointers?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2024
  2. discomute
    Terradon

discomute Well-Known Member

Okay you might be aware of this but -

My reading of the rules is that you pick either the skink chief's armour saves or the stegadons. E.g. you first chief would be 6+ armour and 5+ ward. IF (and I have no idea if) you're running it as 4+ / 5+ I think that's wrong.

But the way you're grabbing an extra weapon makes me think you're assuming you can take the stegadons armour and chiefs ward. Of course I could be wrong...

Edit - only other thing I'd add is I'd prefer to spend money for sauraii on the spears and not shieldwall. But just my personal theoryhammer

3. Kalisto
    Temple Guard

Kalisto Active Member

You can take best armour save, ward save is give to both.
    The list is interesting however idk if I would like to play so many stegadons. Maybe a troglodon or a saurus on carnosaur would be better if you like a lot of big monsters.

troglodon is not the best I know but is good to have a wizard to dispel. If you skink priest is in melee he cannot dispel and magic is still really nasty! (Maybe not general spell lore but all other are it!!). Also because ancient Stegadon will have only WS2 (as skink priest). I liked the idea but renounced to play him on it, but probably is worth with +3 to cast

Last thing: interesting the addition hand weapon to the skink chief. I have by myself considered it but opted for the spear lately.

discomute likes this.
  4. discomute
    Terradon

See I don't think you're right. It would be nice to get it FAQd. The ward save section makes it clear it's a type of armour save. The mount rules says you can use either the monster or character, whichever is higher. I don't think you can use both.

A ward save is not a special rule. It's on page 141 under armour saves. There is no reason to think of it as anything other than a type of armour save. So you pick - rider or mount

Last edited: Feb 25, 2024
  5. airjamy
    Bastiladon

airjamy Well-Known Member

I have 1 carno already to hunt enemy behemoths? I think the spear is ok as well, but with poison the extra attack is pretty nice.

You pick the best one right, so I don't see why I wouldn't pick the best ward save and the best armor save on the model? It says nowhere that you need to pick the monster or the character twice. You roll for them separately either way..

Kalisto and discomute like this.
  6. discomute
    Terradon

Okay so I asked the above question to the Australian old world crew and 1000+ messages later... I retract it. You choose for each armour roll what is the highest. Stegadon's away!

airjamy likes this.