1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

300 point club - Get bizzay, you slackers! >:(

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by asrodrig, Jan 30, 2009.

1. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Re: 300 point club

Wow that is a cool trophy.

Hmmm.... One day left to finish my steg.
    *Gets out his paint brush*

2. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

Haha glad you like it

3. johnh
    Skink

johnh New Member

Keep in mind, I am an amateur painter, and while my painting has improved, there are many things I still have to learn (washes and inks being one of them). I mainly dry brush.

Also, the quality of the pics are not great since I have a lousy camera, but these are the best ones.

In short, please be gentle....

John

4. Revered_Guardian
    Troglodon

Revered_Guardian New Member

I would join becuz i need serious motivation (so far only priest, 16 saurus, 24 skinks, and a scar-vet done with a chief on steg being converted to engine of gods and 10 tgs not painted... also some 12 tau)

But i don't have a camera to upload my pictures :depressed:
    Unless i could just tell u guys what i finished..... :rolleyes: (pffft)

5. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

johnh: The pics are pretty fuzzy , the steg looks cool from what I can see. For better shots I suggest an all white background with nothing else in your shot, that will force the camera to shoot what you are aiming at. Also if you have a digital camera, look for a setting called close up or something that isment for being up to 18" or less away from the target. This should get you better pics.

6. strewart
    OldBlood

The close up is called the macro setting, and is usually a flower symbol.. I have had mixed success with it, I don't like the colours it gave my photos when I tried it on my camera, but it could just be because my camera's macro setting isn't very good, my gf took some great macro photos on her camera.

7. johnh
    Skink

johnh New Member

Thanks, I will try that out when next I take pics, especially the white background and nothing else in the shot. I do hate them being so fuzzy.

8. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

Here's the medals for April, courtesy of our friend Craken.
    Also, I'll be going through the thread and finding out who has painted 1000 points so far. Craken was also kind enough to whip up a 1000 point medal. Two actually! You can choose from either this one:

1000points.png

or this one:

1000pointsgold.png

9. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

Hey just curious to find out if any of you can figure out what is written above and below the 1000 point symbol.

10. strewart
    OldBlood

Hmmm haha it says Lustria Online doesn't it? Nice.

11. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

Sure does :)

12. johnh
    Skink

johnh New Member

Re: 300 point club - pic heavy

Ok, I redid my pictures, and added a few items I have finished recently. Hopefully these are better pictures (so they can show my lack of skill with painting, lol) Anyway, here goes. Be gentle.

Already I see something that needs to be finished (on one of the shields on the Steg, I need to finish the shield! it will look like the others.

John

13. strewart
    OldBlood

Yeah photos do have a habit of making you notice things that you otherwise didn't. :p Little mistakes here and there, bits that you missed etc. I found that a lot.

Anyway, if I could give you any suggestion it would be to add a bit more depth to your models. Simply using washes and looking up the drybrushing technique will make you models look much better. Also I strongly suggest you water down your paints a bit before applying them. Otherwise they go on thick and look a bit gluggy and less natural. I know it is a pain to put some paint out on a pallette and add water to it every time, but it makes a big difference.

Then if you are feeling up to it you might like to try a layer or two of highlighting rather than drybrushing, this just requires a very steady hand and a lot of patience. But as a start they do look good. :)

14. johnh
    Skink

johnh New Member

Thanks Strewart, I want to try out the washes, and am going to get some today and test them out on an old model. I didn't realize that about the paint thickness either. Vallejo paints are what i pretty much exclusively use so I will watch that in the future.

Highlighting has always been something I have a problem with, because I do not have that steady of a hand, patience is fine, just my hand shakes too much, and I cannot seem to hold the brush still enough. It was miraculous I was able to do the eyes, luckily Lizzie eye slots are bigger than most other minis.

15. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

Hey asrodrig when is the deadline for this month. I think it's today right, I have my stuff done I just need to finishing basing the 2nd unit of Kroxigors I have 4 of them and a Corspe Cart done. The cart is totally done, I just need photos of it all. Anyways lemme know if I'm too late for this month k.

16. strewart
    OldBlood

Try resting your forearm on the edge of a table rather than holding it up, no one can hold there hand steady in the air for long aside from the likes of surgeons. The closer your wrist is to the edge of the table, the steadier you will be.

17. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

Re: 300 point club - April Submissions due by May 7th!

The deadline this month is Thursday, May 7th. That gives you a little extra time to do some finishing touches. Unfortunately, I once again will not have anything for this month. Everybody else, keep up the good work!

18. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

Sweet that should be enough time for me to get over this cold, and get the energy to finish basing them and taking pictures.

19. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

Last Minute Post more basing needed on Krox will update when they are done

20. strewart
    OldBlood

Wow the corpse cart looks great. And I really like the green you have achieved on the krox, I'm not so fond of the models though.