1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A quick Chakax conversion WIP

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by wappellious, Sep 29, 2009.

1. wappellious
    Temple Guard

wappellious New Member

Hey folks...

Here is the quickie converison of Chakax. I will post a partially painted picture of him later tonight or tomorrow.

As you can see, it is based on a plastic saurus, with lots of bits added. Green stuff and brown stuff was also used to create the helmet and other details.

I did this in a few hours when I put him in a list as an experiment. He had actually been extremely useful since! I was very suprised, since just about every lizzie special character is garbage for the points.

Here he is:

WIPChakaxMultiviewR.jpg

Warden likes this.
  2. hellbreaker
    Troglodon

hellbreaker New Member

He's ninja!
    Standing on that stick looking all awesome with one foot.

Great job, now, teach me your ways, or no cookie for you. >: (

Cheers!

3. Eternity_Warden
    Terradon

Eternity_Warden New Member

Your work never ceases to amaze me. I'm at a loss for words.

4. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Yeah that looks pretty cool, I'll be keen to see him painted. And as an added advantage, you don't have to screw around trying to get the metal model to fit together properly! :p

5. wappellious
    Temple Guard

wappellious New Member

Thanks for the kind words on Chakax. He was very fun to make. I can't wait to get in some pictures of the scratch sculpted terradons and the new Kroxigors I am making for the giant skink/krox unit.

There are times where I sculpt things that are almost too complex to paint, in that there is no room for the brush! I recently did a Vulkan H'stan conversion that had to be painted in 3 pieces, or else there was not way to get a brush in spots!

This one has some tough to reach areas as well. It makes me very glad I pin all the minis to dowel rods for painting!

6. Cuachicqueh
    Saurus

Cuachicqueh New Member

Awesome Chakax. I saw similar looking models in your army photo. Did you convert those too? I couldn't tell if they were the old school tricerotops skulled saurus or converted saurus like this chakax. Phenominal paintin by the way. I'm off to kiss some butt in your army post. :D

7. wappellious
    Temple Guard

wappellious New Member

Yes, you did see this Chakax in a unit of converted Temple Guard. They are a somewhat simplified version of this guy. I am still in the proces of painting them, but I will put up a WIP picture of them.

Brown stuff was very helpful for making these helmets, as it is more stout than green stuff and will not deform as it cures.

I just made a scratch sculpted palanquin, and I made a bunch of tusks of brown stuff, letting it cure on some sran wrap... then glueing them to the palanquin when they cured.

8. Cuachicqueh
    Saurus

Cuachicqueh New Member

You wouldn't happen to try to be making the palanquin on the front of the army book would you? That palanquin is awesome with all the tusks and horns on it.