1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Tale of Dreadfleet Painters

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by strewart, Oct 11, 2011.

1. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

So I briefly floated this idea in the Dreadfleet thread, and think I'd like to go through with it. This will be like the Tale of Gamers series that White Dwarf used to run, anyone who bought Dreadfleet or is planning to buy Dreadfleet is welcome to join. I guess it can officially start from november, but we can also start early for anyone who wants to.

As a rough guide, I was thinking about aiming for 1 ship, 1 auxillery and 1 piece of terrain per month. That would make the whole box get done in about 10 months. I have some of the ships assembled at the moment, and some partially assembled pending painting as my box just showed up today.

Who is keen?

2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Migh as well add me I'm doing the one on Warseer as well. ;)

3. Syltaryn
    Saurus

Syltaryn New Member

Count me in. I just finished assembling everything.

4. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

Count me in - I have the box (but right now everything is still on the sprues). When I get a break from assembling and painting the Lizards, I plan on working on this stuff (very slowly...)

5. brokbrok
    Cold One

brokbrok New Member

I'm in the same boat as t'hinker'er (Get it?)

6. strewart
    OldBlood

Sweet, sounds good! More fast interest than I expected. @n810, I am on the Warseer one as well but not sure if I will post my stuff in there or not since my painting isn't really that good.

Anyone decided what they are going to work on first? I think I am going to tackle the Skabrus (Skaven) first to stick with my policy of painting the ones with interior detail so I can at least get all ships assembled within a couple of months. The WD suggests painting it completely in pieces before assembling, which is what I will do.

7. Syltaryn
    Saurus

Syltaryn New Member

I've just gone and assembled everything. I'll take them apart for painting. I don't think it'll be too difficult so long as you pry them apart carefully. The masts and other small things mostly slot into holes which you can put a paper clip into the other side to push them out without damaging or putting undue stress on them.

8. brokbrok
    Cold One

brokbrok New Member

I was gonna paint them in the order that they show up in the campaign, that way it's easier to have fully painted stuff on the board while still learning to play.

9. strewart
    OldBlood

Thats also a good idea. I will probably look to tackle the Heldenhammer and Bloody Reaver last though, or at least after 3-4 others, since those two are the biggest and most impressive ships I really want to make sure they are done well so I have a bit of experience painting ships before getting to them.

Currently waiting for wash to dry on the Skabrus. I had a vaue hope of completing it tonight, and that may be possible, but I think I will slow down a bit and let it go for a couple of days.

10. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

im sorry for being such a buzz-kill but i thought that only the "special" people that frequent certain forums for certain brutish creatures with skin the color of leaves (i will name no specific warhammer races) would actually buy this stuff. i hope you guys make an amazing job of it to keep at least some standards in what to me seems like a truly mediocre game ;)

11. strewart
    OldBlood

I mainly bought it because the islands and seascape will be very useful for Dystopian Wars. But the more I look at the ships (and particularly hold them) the more they appeal to me. It is actually a very cool kit. I do expect the rules to be rather gimmicky and full of random luck, but that doesn't matter. This was not designed as a serious game, it was made as a bit of lighthearted fun and that is what I expect it to be.

I have now completed the Skabrus, it was actually a pleasure to paint up and I am pleasantly pleased with the result I have achieved! I didn't think I could do these models anywhere near the justice they deserved. How is everyone else going?

skabrus1.jpg
    skabrus2.jpg
    skabrus3.jpg
    skabrus4.jpg

Next up: The Dwarf bathtub. :)

12. Syltaryn
    Saurus

Syltaryn New Member

Wow! Nice job. I haven't even started painting mine yet.

13. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

that is actually very nice work stewart. i still hate the concept of dreadfleet, but your painting is top notch! :)

14. Morikun
    Skink

Morikun New Member

Hello guys ^^

If I can put my little stone to your wall, I've painted all the decorum of dreadfleet and I've just finished the two dwarves sheeps and I'm planning to paint the flying dutchman XD

It's raining a lot in France now so I have not a very good light for the pics but here's a little selection of my islands.

I wish you like it ^^ (more pics on my blog)

Morikun

And the best of ^^ :

P.S : I really like the rotten skin of your skabrus Strewart !!

15. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

Nice work guys! Stewart, if that's the level you paint at when you go fast and aren't satisfied, we are in for some great stuff in the future! Sheepishly...mine are still on the sprues...but my lizardman army is moving ahead at least ;)

16. strewart
    OldBlood

Haha thanks T'hinker'er, but really it is as much the model itself as my painting. I think anyone could at least get close to that level, the ships really do paint up very very nicely and they are an absolute pleasure to paint. Definitely the most fun I have had painting in a long long time!

Morikum, very nice terrain pieces! Welcome to the Tale, and glad someone else is posting photos now. :) Are you going to post photos of the Dwarf ships as well? I am starting to work on them now, it is a bit more of a pain than the Skabrus.

We should al be typing with pirate voices in this thread! :p

17. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Great job on all the islands Morikun :D

18. Syltaryn
    Saurus

Syltaryn New Member

I decided to start with the Heldenhammer and paint the rest in the order they are needed for the scenarios. I'm only half way done as the details are quite intricate especially on the sails and around the cannons. I've also painted up one of the terrain pieces and I intend to work on a few of those at a time while doing the ships. I'll post some pics when I get the ship finished up in the next couple of days. It's looking pretty good so far I think.

19. Morikun
    Skink

Morikun New Member

Thank you very much for your support my dears ^^

n810 : Thank you and I hope I see yours soon !!

Strewart : Sure I will show the dwarf ships this week end. I wait for a best sunlight ^^

Come on Syltarin !! Don't give up even If you've started with a very difficult ship (from me) !!

20. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Ok sooo I only got one Island painted so far, mostly I was trying to Iron out my color schem and match the water color.
    100_1262.jpg
    100_1260.jpg
    100_1259.jpg