1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ancient One

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Serpentsire, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Serpentsire
    Saurus

Serpentsire New Member

So I just got done with the Northstar tournament and realized that I really need to step up my painting. So here is the head of an Ancient Stegadon. I did a bit of bit work; more horns, the crest ornament, and the musket ball lodged in his frill, as well as battle damage to the horns. Please critique.

2. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

It looks really cool, nice work. Only part that could use a little more attention is the horns, they look a bit splotchy from the ink/wash that you used. I think they just require practice though, I find them hard.

Any particular reason you completed the head without even undercoating the body? Isn't that going to be a pain since you won't be able to spray it? Or is the head not glued on?

3. bryanabbo
    Saurus

bryanabbo New Member

................................ that is the best stegadon head ive ever seen the horns are to me not splotchy but thats my opinion i think they look pretty cool

4. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

Nice job. I'm with Strewart on this one -- the horns are a little blotchy, and unless you're using a brush on primer (which is hell in a handbasket with the Stegadon -- trust me), it's going to be tricky to get the body primed. I do like the extra horn conversion, as well as the little crest, though! :pompus:

5. Serpentsire
    Saurus

Serpentsire New Member

Lol, come on guys, give me a bit more credit. The head is not glued on, just clicked in for the pics. The horns are a bit odd, but I was trying to make them look really old and worn, not white. I'll tinker a bit and ost more when the body is worked on.

6. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

I personally like the look of it. They've got a gritty and dirty feel. Too many times you see Stegadons with perfectly white horns, as though the skink crew sit with the stegadon in a garage and polish it daily like a bunch of firefighters.

7. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

Wouldn't you? Lol.

8. Serpentsire
    Saurus

Serpentsire New Member

I finished the beast and am working on the howdah, and you should know I touched up the horns, but still kept some aging. Enjoy, and as always, please leave comments.

9. bryanabbo
    Saurus

bryanabbo New Member

thats amazing

10. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

Nice job, man! I like the rock - is it a real rock, or a piece of polystyrene or something?

11. bryanabbo
    Saurus

bryanabbo New Member

wat camera did u use

12. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Holy crap batman.. That is one of the most striking awesome looking stegadons I have seen; the choice of colours and the technique is just brilliant. Really love it!

13. Serpentsire
    Saurus

Serpentsire New Member

Thanks for the comments, I will post more pics as the howdah develops. The Rock is real, a chunk of Dolomite that I washed with Devlan mud; it made the rock seem more like it belonged with the model. My camera is a Kodak Z712 IS, nothing fancy.

14. Serpentsire
    Saurus

Serpentsire New Member

Just put the finishing touches on the back Howdah segment. For the crew, I am going to use the two plastic skink chiefs as well as the metal skink chief with helm and shield. It is going to take a bit, but it should fit in with the armored veteran Steg I am trying to make. Enjoy:

15. Sebulba
    Temple Guard

Sebulba New Member

Haha, a real rock?! How heavy is that thing!

16. Serpentsire
    Saurus

Serpentsire New Member

Its pretty dense, trust me, but it makes it nice and bottom heavy; this thing will never tip.

17. Enigma
    Saurus

Enigma New Member

That must simply be one of the most beautiful paint jobs I've seen in a very long time. I simply must get one of those beasts soon to see what i can do myself. You'r giving me alot of inspiration here mate, and my walllet will hate you for it :)

18. bryanabbo
    Saurus

bryanabbo New Member

man uve outdine urself is thid your first time painting

19. Serpentsire
    Saurus

Serpentsire New Member

No, I have been in the hobby for about a year and a half now, but this is my first serious painting attempt. i received a 44 out of 80 at the last big tourney I was in for painting and new I had to step it up. i will be working on the howdah front soon and will post more pics as I go. Good luck to you with your steg (I highly recommend the engine or blowpipes).

20. speedygeko
    Cold One

speedygeko New Member

the horns look very good now, it is probably the best model ive ever seen when surfing the forum!!!
    i realy like the base aswell