1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bases: i need help

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by lordberti3, Aug 29, 2012.

1. lordberti3
    Saurus

lordberti3 New Member

Bases, they should be the simplest part of a model; but they can"make or break the deal".
    i really don't know how to get a good effect, and at the moment my models bases are a little shabby: all i do at the moment is paint them brown, PVA some sand onto them and add a little bit of flock. thats was all i could up with but now is the time to improve.

Any help with how people do there bases would be greatly (and i mean GREATLY) appreciated!

2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Have you tried dry brushing the sand yet?

Also what kind of enviroment are you trying to create with your bases?

Ps. you Don't need fancy materials, this was done with just sand, peples, paint and flock (in that order).

100_7690.jpg

3. nathanbomb6
    Saurus

nathanbomb6 New Member

I am having the exact same trouble at the moment, I just glued the sand and the grass the to base but now I changed my colour scheme it wont suit so I have recently made rocks for more "Important" and "special" units to have them for example I did a rock on my kroxigor recently.

here's the link to the post with a few pictures
    http://www.lustria-online.com/threads/my-krox.9779/

I have also stuck small "spare parts" from the lizardmen box set things like skulls and jewellery or sometimes weapons onto the bases, to make it seem like they are actually in a war or just came from a battle.
    Unfortunately I cannot proved any other information of any information on the actual "surface of the base"
    I'm sorry but I hoped this helped, A bit.

4. lordberti3
    Saurus

lordberti3 New Member

i wil try drybrushing the sand; i hadn't thought of that; and rocks ill put some of those on too.

i hadn't really thaught of a theme, i just used the stuff in the box. on my core i wanted to copy the GW bases but go a bit more extravagent of the special/ rare/ heroes kind of thing. i will have a go at what you suggest.

one thing, do you use actual pebbles or make them from something else.

P.S. did you make that terrain piece? its excellent

5. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Yep thats mine, there is a link to the blog in my signature.

Naa it's free natural sand, it comes with pebles.
    you can sift them out if you want to seperate them.

6. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

I mixed kitty litter into my sand to give the sand some variation. It's like having the pebbles and small rocks in there already.

7. Switchblade
    Saurus

Switchblade New Member

I use alot of Pine Bark to mimic rock formations. I bought a 25 lbs bag of the stuff for $2 at home depot. Just hot glue it to the base, prime black, then drybrush, and wash!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8uqAxedncI
    Got the idea from this WONDERFUL video!