1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Basing styles

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Kimbie, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Kimbie
    Skink

Kimbie Member

Im in the process of making some movement trays and getting my army painted from the wonderful black undercoat that they all wear at the moment.

For the movement trays I have edge them with sand looking material, but as Lizardmen seem to exist in temples, jungles, swamps, sandy bits, I am not sure what direction to take the bases of the models in and the movement tray edging.

If it matters my army is purple.

Looking forward to hearing peoples opinions

Thanks

Kimbie

2. Lord Cedric
    Terradon

Lord Cedric Member

I would suggest picking out a specific theme and going from there. Also, how elaborate are you wanting to go?

If you are looking for more of a swampy look, then some tall static grass would look good for a start and maybe some cattail plants. If you want a bit more detail, then you could add some paint glossy-look spots for a swamp and either find some dead logs of wood or make some out of greenstuff. If you are not opposed to using unit fillers, then this is a great opportunity to really get creative. Maybe add a cypress tree or an actual swampy pond with parts of the unit emerging from it.

If you are thinking more of the jungle look, you could add some vines and other jungle over-growth. Also having some type of very small reptiles and/or a vine-covered tree or a broken rock from a temple covered in vines could be a great looking unit filler unit centerpiece.

There is also the jungle temple look with vine covered blocks and moss.

These are just some of the ones off the top of my head. I'm sure there are much more creative examples from our other forum members. You could search through some of the archived Army threads and see what others have done if you haven't done so yet. Hope this helps you in some way.

- Lord Cedric