1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Book Degradation

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Gerdion, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Gerdion
    Skink

Gerdion New Member

I have had my Warhammer Rulebooks - both Fantasy and 40k - for a while now, as well as a few RPG rulebooks and I find that within a few months of purchase, they get a significant bow in the front and back covers that seems to worsen as time goes on.

Yeah, I'm griping because this is simply cosmetic and doesn't really ruin the books but I have found that they all do this. The Games Workshop rulebooks and the DnD books all do this. I picked up a used Exalted book today and it looked like it too was warped.

Why is it that they do this? Are they just cheaply made or should I do something to prevent the hardcovers from worsening?

2. Guardian of Hexoatl
    Temple Guard

Guardian of Hexoatl New Member

I've noticed that as well, and my third edition 40k book is like that. I think it's the way they layer the covers (I'm probably wrong though lol).

3. Suppe
    Kroxigor

Suppe New Member

Mine is kinda falling apart but then again I did also drop it down some stairs which isn't helping so every time I open it, it makes this old book sound :(

4. Deathfrisbee2000
    Kroxigor

Deathfrisbee2000 New Member

I've noticed some of my books do that too. Though it only happens when I've left them in the car in direct sunlight for a long time. Maybe it's a heat thing? That's my theory anyway.

--DF2K

5. Sebulba
    Temple Guard

Sebulba New Member

That's really strange...

I was having binding problems so I just took them to kinkos to get them spiral bound (they cut off the binding and put spiraled plastic through).
    Works great and you can definitely tell which rulebook is yours. And, if you should so desire, you can take out all the "fluff" pages after they cut off the spine and just bind the rules section.

6. Gerdion
    Skink

Gerdion New Member

Sounds practical but I rather like having them as books (yeah I'm difficult like that).

I've tried laying some of my textbooks on em for a day at a time but it doesn't seem to work. Anyone ever fixed the problem or is it permanent?

7. JohnMavrick
    Troglodon

JohnMavrick New Member

I stack my books on a shelf and they are fairly tightly packed in. Not to the extent where I have to force them in, but they're snug enough. At any rate I always place them back after I've used them. As a result I haven't had my books bow like you all are complainning about.

Just something to consider.