1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TOW Build your own Talisman of Protection?

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by RipperDerek, Mar 17, 2024.

1. RipperDerek
    Razordon

RipperDerek Active Member

At least according to my spreadsheet, the Talisman of Protection (5+ ward save for 30pts) is one of the best protective magic items in the game. (It also really likes the Armour of Silvered Steel and the Enchanted Shield.)

This brings me to the Charmed Shield, which is an extremely common magic item, that costs 5pts, but gives you a 1 use 5+ ward save.
    The rules seem pretty clear: a single character can have as many Charmed Shields as they want. It even specifically calls out "shield with runes of protection" as something this applies to.

If you buy a character 6 charmed shields, you get to use your 5+ ward save 6 times. It costs 30 points. That's basically a Talisman of Protection, with some added flexibility thrown in (like, you could buy 5 charmed shields for 25pts).

This appears to be 100% supported by the rules, but feels a little weird to me. Does anyone else have a take?

2. discomute
    Terradon

discomute Well-Known Member

Funny this has come up in Facebook old world Australia group recently.

My feeling is that you need to be using an item to get it's benefit. Therefore yes you can do this but you can swap between holding a "spent" shield to a "new" shield each combat much like a weapon. Which is actually a bit difficult to do I think you need to wait for FBIGO (GG will count as same combat).

3. RipperDerek
    Razordon

RipperDerek Active Member

Hmm, seems like the rules are very broken!

Pg 340 says a model "can only carry one shield"
    Pg 337 says, with shields as an example, "there is no limit to how many duplicates a character can carry"

The rules for magic weapons say pick one at the start of each combat, but it doesn't say to do the same for armor. That said, I think "you can have multiples but have to pick one at the beginning of each combat" is a very reasonable house rule for dealing with the discrepancy.

discomute likes this.
  4. discomute
    Terradon

discomute Well-Known Member

I just read both of those. Actually my feeling is 340 overrules 337. That's because 337 has other rules for common items like they can take them along side non-common magic items. So I think that part applies to shields.

5. Kalisto
    Temple Guard

Kalisto Active Member

(Sorry for multiple post, idk how delete it)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2024
  6. Kalisto
    Temple Guard

Kalisto Active Member

It’s common but are you sure you can have the same shield multiple times on the same hero? I may agree RAW but is there no FAQ or something similar on it?

on shooting is good since you can change it but not in melee, by the way it doesn’t help if you have the intention to have a great weapon (probably you don’t)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2024
  7. airjamy
    Bastiladon

airjamy Well-Known Member

I mean,, if someone did this to me, i would probably not want to play this person again just for the absurdity of it. Most TO's also won't let you get away with it. Cute find, but i do not think this will actually fly in a real game.

8. Fxt
    Skink

Fxt Member

I don't think you can buy multiple charmed on a single character.
    yes, as it's common you can buy it multiple times across your list, but a model can only carry a single shield

discomute likes this.
  9. Kalisto
    Temple Guard

Kalisto Active Member

I read the rules again and asked around. I agree also that you can only have one shield.. no more