1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Building Lizard men army for woman to play with

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by samheim, Jul 28, 2019.

1. samheim
    Ripperdactil

samheim Well-Known Member

Hello,

I am man, but a woman I play Age of Sigmar wants a Lizard man army, because she has a pet bearded dragon in real life.

We were playing with Nighthaunt and Storm cast Eternals. I was Night Haunt and lost twice.

So far I have bought a start collecting box of Seraphon, and I have to say its been a mixed bag. I love the models, and I love painting them bright colours. To me Storm cast eternals seemed the most boring to paint so far. The gold and blue colour scheme is crap, and I really regret not going for the silver and purple one.

Night Haunt colours were alright, fun to wet blend. Going into Lizardmen I didn't want to make the same mistake, so I painted them yellow and orange, and pleased so far.

The only thing I don't like about Seraphon, is that I needed to snap all the glue off again, because its very difficult to paint them when they are fully assembled. The saurus warriors and knights are hard to get a brush to because they are a bit brittle.

Where do I go from here? What should I buy next?

I want to land on 1500pnts, fairly cheaply. So I don't want to go out and buy a dozen Razordons at £20 each.

Do I get another star collecting? This army only needs to be good against Storm cast and Night Haunt.

Is now a good time to buy? Are there any goodies like a box set coming soon?

LizardWizard likes this.
  2. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

It occurs to me a life-size model of a bearded gecko would be quite a nice stand-in proxy for a Dread Saurian.

Safari Ltd makes one. $13

LizardWizard and ChapterAquila92 like this.
  3. Slikus Vaw
    Cold One

Slikus Vaw Active Member

bastiladons are a good choice. they can handle some evocators mortal would stuff and are absolute tanks in the thunderquake(my favorite unit), a slann(kroak or norml slann, ppl usually dont mind if u have a slann but use it as a kroak nearly the same model) is kind of a must with seraphon. skinks are a great battleline cause they are cheap but can run away in the combat phase. it also depends how you want to play also, the shadow strike alpha charge is a good concept at 1500 points, i recently found a nice combo with the oldblood on carno with the scar-vet on cold one with the sword of judment on the scar-vet, oldblood can give +6 attacks(command ability x3) with its pickaxe nd then with the scar-vet can attack gain 2 additional attack triggers(scar-vet ability) but the second one is on a 6, i mainly play thunderquake at 2k tho and dont have a whole lot of army building at 1500 points. but ilike my big monsters haha. Ive seen some good lists with the sunclaw starhost also. summoning is really helpful but you have to have extra units to do so. oh and an Astrolith Bearer is really really helpful with reroll failed hit rolls for a 12" bubble and also +1 to your spell and +8 inchs on spell range within(not wholly within) 12"
    here is my list at 2k
    Leaders
    Slann - 260
    Astrolith Bearer- 160 (incandescent rectices)
    Oldblood on carno - 240
    Scar-vet on cold one - 100 (sword of judgment)
    EotG- 240 (Engine of the Gods)

Battleline
    5 x 1 units of knights - 80
    10 x 2 skinks - 140

Artillery
    3 razordons - 120
    Stegadon - 200
    Bastiladon - 280

Other units
    Handlers - 40

Battalion
    Thunderquake - 120

LizardWizard likes this.
  4. Slikus Vaw
    Cold One

Slikus Vaw Active Member

i was rolling the thunderquake with 6 kroxigors but i wanted to test something out with the oldblood on carno and the scar-vet on cold one. kroxigors dont work that well with 3 models but same with the ripperdactyls in the shadow strike

LizardWizard likes this.
  5. samheim
    Ripperdactil

samheim Well-Known Member

That's a nice army you have. For me the part I can't do is buy the Razordon's as they are £20 each.

So far I think I am going to add another start collecting box,

So I will have

1 old blood
    1 scar vet on cold one
    1 scar vet on carnosaur

20 saurus warriors
    15 saurus knights
    1 troglodon

I want to then buy a box of skinks and convert 1 to a skink starpriest.

Next possibly I might get the Saurus guard and the Bastilladon.

Also the models I really would like to add are the Flying ones, as they look simply amazing.

What do you think of this army? is it ok? are there changes I should make to this?

So far Storm cast have walked all over Nighthaunt. I am hoping Seraphon fair better against them.

Oh and I love the Slaan model, but not sure I really want to get anything made of resin or metal.

Slikus Vaw and LizardWizard like this.
  6. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

Slikus Vaw and Crowsfoot like this.
  7. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

A painting tip for Saurus everything, paint the shield separately. build the model how you want, but leave the shield off. (or the whole shield arm in the case of Knights) this will free up the space to get the brush where you want it to go. then all you have to do is glue the shield to the arm afterwards. saved myself a lot of frustration doing this.

8. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

In addition to @ILKAIN's advice, I offer one further point of hard learned hobbycraft. Don't paint the back of the hand or the inside surface between the grips of the shield. If you glue on top of paint and drop the mini the paint will puff of the hand and/or shield and the model will break. As long as you can glue plastic to plastic you should be great.

Slikus Vaw and ILKAIN like this.
  9. Slikus Vaw
    Cold One

Slikus Vaw Active Member

the guard are unfortunately not that great right now but hopefully thatll change with the new book that will eventually come out. they are really susceptible to mortal wounds nd they only have 1 health so it doesnt take much to take them out with spells. i loved the guards on paper but they just dont perform too well. bastiladons are great tho, one of the better shooting units in the game.
    ya i really wish the razordons didnt cost so much.
    but i would start with making a shadow strike then add units you think will be useful to the army(use at least 6 ripperdactlys for a deadly alpha strike). the shadow strike does require some knowledge of the enemy forces tho. my TQ has rerolls on wounds and saves from that battalion and also get rerolls on hits with my astrolith but i have to castle up my army into a sphere so its hard to take objectives that are spread out but thats what my skinks are for.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  10. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

Saurus Guard are pretty good for Meeting Engagements.

11. Slikus Vaw
    Cold One

Slikus Vaw Active Member

nice! thats good to know. i havent played in since the new GHB(generals handbook) unfortunatley.

LizardWizard likes this.
  12. Acehilator
    Ripperdactil

Acehilator Well-Known Member

You can use superglue to glue painted parts together. Still gives a very strong bond, you just have to be careful when applying the glue because most will be white when dry.

@LizardWizard Any particular reason why you like Guard for Meeting Engagements? The format doesn't change the number of factions/units with MW mechanics?

LizardWizard likes this.
  13. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

They are the hardest unit of ours to kill that is battleline. Any other unit will feed your opponent kill points. There is also less focus on Endless Spells. Nagash doesn't fit in Meeting Engagements. Lastly, due to the manner the format deploys you will often be able to prevent ranging onto your Saurus Guard from a significant portion of MW generating units. Like 1/3rd of the battle plans start you farther apart than a 2k pitched battle.