1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Building up an army

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by Bay91, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Bay91
    Skink

Bay91 New Member

Hello fellow lizardmen players :)

I have just started playing/painting warhammer again, but I'm kinda new in the battle regi :(

At the moment me and my girlfriend is having a lot of joy painting all the skinks, saurus and monsters - but sooner or later we have enough to start playing against others :) and specially I'm looking forward to this part :)

I have been following this forum for some weeks and learned a lot by reading battle reports, war lists, and so on.

My hope is that someone will help me say "that is good", "you need more ....", "you should get ..." etc.

At the moment we have:
    24 skinks (12 old model with bows, and 12 with javelin+shield)
    36 saurus (16 old model with OH+Shield, and 20 spear+shield)
    12 TG
    Oldblood on foot
    Slann
    8 CO riders
    1 Stegadon with bow
    2 Salamander Hunting Pack
    3 Kroxigors
    1 Razordon Hunting Pack

We need to build an 2500 point army (thats what my friend told me).

I think there is a lot of models we need to buy, but Im soon going to see a tournament where there is 3 for 2s price (lowest price for free), so I would buy some of the missing models there.

I was thinking about buying 3 Carnosaur (one for each of the models) - one free Carnosaur, 2 Stegadons and 1 bastiladon - one free here, maybe (if I can find the money) for 3 Terradon packs.
    This is kinda "the buy of the year" for me, so I was thinking about buying some of the more expensive models - and then buy the skink priests and others later separate.

Im really sorry if this is the wrong forum, or part of forum - but it seems like the best place for me to ask for help. :)

Sorry if my english is confusing but its a long time since last time I wrote on English.

Best Regards
    Morten from Denmark :)

2. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

Wait.. Both you and your GF is painting and will play together.. Or?

You have a little of everything. I'd also get some more core otherwise you'll struggle.

Where in DK Is this?

3. Silverbolt
    Temple Guard

Silverbolt Active Member

I would agree with more Core units. Might be boring, and more of the same, but you will need them to increase the overall size of your army. If you're going to run your Slann in the TG, you will need another box of them, too.

As for the things you were looking at getting, nice choices!

4. rantapanda
    Kroxigor

rantapanda Member

a bit depends what kind of list you are going for and you need to know how to run that particular list.
    id suggest more skinks, some Oldbloods/scarvets on cold ones, more TG, some rippers and terradons as well.

5. Bay91
    Skink

Bay91 New Member

Wow that was fast replies!

I was thinking about buying a battalion after this. So I could get some more skinks, saurus, CO and TG :)
    I think I'm going to buy: 1 Carnosaur (with magnet in the ass, so I can make him scar-vet or cham anytime) + 2 Stegadons, 1 Bastiladon + 2 terradon packs :)

I can see from that many of your lists is having a lot of skinks and saurus' in them, but at this offer "3 for 2" I think I will "spare" some money. :)

And where in Denmark? We live near Copenhagen :)

6. Sunchax
    Saurus

Sunchax Member

More skinks!!

Buying 3 cornosaurs sounds expensive and if you are aiming to build the troglodon i hope you do it for the sake of the model since it dosent preform very well in the game. I rather have a steg with blowpipes but overall you have a good starr and you might should consider getting a slann if you want to buy something expensive. Otherwise more skinks is essential for lizardmen, both cham skinks and regual. Bastilidon is the only thing i regret buying in my army. Sure it looks nice and was fun to paint but it just disappoint me when using it.

Some people like it thought.

Good luck with your army!

7. GhostWarrior
    Cold One

GhostWarrior Member

Welcome to the forum, Bay91!

If I'm understanding you correctly (you're English is fine, I'm just making sure it's clear) - you have a 'Buy 2, get a 3rd item free of equal or lesser value'. If that's the case, here's my suggestions, in order of importance (based on US prices, and I assume that while the numbers aren't the same, the scaling should be):

1) 2 Terradon Rider/Ripperdactyl Rider Kits (same kit) - Then get a Bastiladon kit for free.
    2) 1 Templeguard Regiment and 1 Skink Regiment - Then get another Skink Regiment for free.
    3) 1 Carnosaur and 1 Stegadon Kit - Then get Tetto'eko or another Steg Kit for free (would recommend Tetto).

This should fill out your army very nicely, and give you a very good bang for your buck.

Now, if you don't have the Lizardman book yet, get it as part of your Step 3 purchase, instead of any 1 of the items (it will be the 'free' thing).

A quick review of the GW website shows me that most other purchases need to come from the GW website (or from ebay, of course :) ).

You've probably already seen this - but understand that generally, Carnosaurs have a tough time on the current Warhammer tabletop (and Troglodons are way worse). Just get the 1 for the cool/awesome model factor - try it in some games, then move on. I don't want to discourage you there - but I also don't want you to waste over $150 US for the other 2 that you'll probably never use.

I hope this helped!

8. Bay91
    Skink

Bay91 New Member

Sorry about the alle respond, someone has to accept my replies before it can be read. Just so you know :)

9. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

The battalion is a fantastic kit for what it offers. Your list of things seem fine.
    After battalion and those items I'd probably get a couple of salamanders and another box of templeguards if I were you. You'd then basically have most of what you need.

I wish I could come by and make use of this offer, but I live on odense so it wouldn't be worth it :)

10. Bay91
    Skink

Bay91 New Member

I already have 2 salamander packs? you think I should go for one more?

I can see that my list isn't totally updated, I also got a Razordon pack now.

I have tryed to answer all (because my answers shows up after more than a day :( ) so thats why this post is so heavy...

I have one question about something I read somewhere in here. If you priest takes Lore of Beast, he can be transformed into a "Wild Thing"/monster? What is this model, is it something I have to mod myself? :)

And thanks a lot everyone! I hope we someday meet in some fights, if anyone is coming to Copenhagen I got keys for the local warhammer club (because there are more than just warhammer I got the keys ;) ), so we would be able to play some games, or just talk nerdy ;)

Don't you think buying a battalion after would be a "better" choice? Then I will get the templegaurd and skink regiment. There is a lot of used regiments to buy online cheap here in Denmark, so its more the special chars/monsters there are hard to get used/cheap. Oh I have the lizard men book :)
    Can you might explain me why Tetto? Is it just for the model, so I can swap him in some compositions?

I have been reading a lot on Danish forums, and in here (I like this forum a lot more!). And I realized that carnosaur/trogolon is an expensive model to use, and trogolon is almost useless.. At the moment I just need an army so I can start learning to fight properly, and then trogolon can come later.

You (and a lot others) say "more skinks!" - All (ALL) forums tropics in Denmark are shouting "more saurus, more saurus", so Im a bit confused on this point :) They are canon bait, or are they just for "more troops the enemy have to chop down"?

I have a slann :) And the Bastilidon, Im a studying math so I'm gonna make some rates on what its good against (later) and what it suck against and so on (I'm nerdy when I start playing games) ;)

Its at Giant Fanatic, Fanatic Roskilde/København is going to offer this special deal - I'm not sure that its for all, or only the players at the tournament, but I know the owner and the hosts so I think I can get the offer anyway :)

Skinks, TG and scarvets on CO can i get from a Battalion? (Im not sure if Saurus on CO and Scarvets on CO is the same?) Or is the oldblood model a dual model where you chance the rider?
    And can you might explain me the difference between rippers and terradons (and specially which I should go for first? :)

She is most creative, and at the moment she is not into the war part - but it will come :) We will might build two different armies (one lizard, one something else) so we can battle a little against each other :) )

11. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Oh I didn't see you already have salamanders. 2 should be fine for most lists.

Check this link about saurus warriors
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?397948-why-not-taking-saurus

To summarize: mobility and the ability to be superior in more phases makes skinks better. Saurus warriors relies on the right fight otherwise they're useless, skinks can do so much more and are cheap do should you lose a units it's hardly an issue.

Some tournaments goers take small-ish units of saurus, but I guess that's mostly because of restrictions and not because it's the most optimal decision. Saurus warriors could've done with some more options. IMO they should've been WS4 with the ability to take magic banners.

12. Drmooreflava
    Saurus

Drmooreflava New Member

I'm in the same boat. My GF and I are also putting together some lizards. She really loves it. I've got 4+ armies to babysit painting wise so she does the bulk of the lizard work. Most of it is about painting what you want to paint. We have had trouble finding what to buy next because so many of the lizardmen options are actually competitive in the right list (except for swarms and imo razordons didnt get much better).

If you want to see good examples of army lists at 2500, go to youtube there are tons and tons of great battle reps. Also, No offense to the lustria forums but warseer.com is MUCH more active and has many veteran players willing to help (and consequently more power gamer trolls). So explore your options, even after you buy. If that sale was running around where I live, I'd buy an entire army to say the least.

13. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Warseer isn't dedicated to lizzies though. It's obviously more active because it's the biggest warhammer forum there is, but he'll have a hard time actually getting some real information on lizardmen. Hell even this thread wouldn't have been noticed. We may not be super active because on the end we can't continue discussing the same things over and over, but we'll generally reply when there's a thread, this thread is a good example of that.
    Besides we have a very good tactica section you won't find anywhere else.

Just saying.

Warseer is good for general discussions and rumours.

14. Drmooreflava
    Saurus

Drmooreflava New Member

Disagree,

I've seen more helpful lizard posts on warseer than I have on lustria. AND I would boldly suggest that many people who spend time playing against lizardmen have valuable input in list building because they will have had experiences on the other side of the table which IMO is quite critical.

Warseer is just another resource. All that is needed is to change the title of the thread to "Buying a lizardmen army with a 3 for 1 (equal or lowest price) sale, what to buy?" It'd be a 5+ page thread full of great suggestions and off topic discussion that might even end up being helpful to our cold blooded fellow.

To suggest not to explore all available and valid resources (your level of validity of resource isn't the measure, it is the OPs bench mark) to someone who is buying an army that can cost more money than most people make in a month is absurd. There are copious amounts of extremely valid information on warseer, as well as lustria-online; however, I would always suggest any buyers to explore all forums pertaining to their possible purchase and to do so with "a grain of salt" because some people will prove to be the typical internet forum troll/monger.

I don't disagree for personal reasons, I disagree for financial soundness and reasoning. Yes this is the lizard forums; however, getting the opinion of the players of all of the other armies can really help in sculpting a realistic view of what potential the lizardmen army possesses(where is succeeds and where it falls short). End of story.

15. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Fair enough.

16. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Mr Phat 9th Age Army Support

I second this, especially on the "what falls short" part.
    Lizardmen aren't THAT popular between the best players in the world, so they can surely tell you why they choose other armies for Championships and tournaments. Finding weaknesses is the first step to work around them.

oh, also...dont Saurus. If you want a solid unit in core that can take a beating and deliver back some: go Skrox (skinks with kroxigors in them)
    People will tell you otherwise, but I have never been disappointed by them. Truly never.

My last game 28some skinks and 3 krox (unit was 32skinks 4krox musician and standard to begin with)

killed a Treeman monster which stomped away at their front all while they got combo charged by a smaller eternal guard unit in the front and an archer unit in the flank.
    They survived 3 turns all in all, killed the treeman in 2 combat rounds, killed the eternal guard in the next 2 and during the final turn they were still steadfast due to a ranks more than the archer, thus not giving up more than half their points.

another one. Same unit size:
    Frost Phoenix in the flank, star dragon to the front
    They held them up for 5 combat rounds, killed the noble and seriously hurt both flyers.

There really aren't much units in the game who will not take solid casualties from these guys. They wont always win, but they ALWAYS put out hurt.

17. GhostWarrior
    Cold One

GhostWarrior Member

On Battalions:

Games Workshop sets up Battalions to be a deal worth getting only if you are going to use everything in the kit. As you already have plenty of Saurus both on foot and Cold Ones (by the account of most anyway), that kit is likely not a good deal for you.

As an example, most people (who haven't given up on Saurus entirely) tend to use 1 unit of 20-30. You have already reached that number, so I don't think it's a priority for you.

However, having only 10-12 Templegaurd IS short of what you would need for an effective unit (min 20 by most accounts). Also, a skink boxed set gives you 24 skinks, where is looks like this battalion only gives you 12.

My answer to you for Tetto will be a question - what is your goal for this army, and what is your playing environment? If you are looking to play competitively in an area that allows Special characters, then Tetto'Eko is at the top of the Lizardman list. Some would say that Gor'Rok is also good, but I don't like the fact that he is on foot. Also, Tetto is a model that is on a unique base size for the style model that he is (40mm square, as opposed to the 50mm square the Slann is on). He is also an expensive model for his size, costing as much as an army book - and a sale like the one you've mentioned is an excellent opportunity to get him. Tetto is in fact a more efficient magic user than a Slann and will even make a Slann more efficient if he is in a list. He is a must have for me at any event which allows Special Characters (in my region, he's almost on the ban list he's so good).

On the Terradon/Ripper question. Make Terradons first - more useful in more situations. Rippers are 'neat' but they're not as all-around good as Terra's.

The CO characters is something for your to make yourself - there really aren't kits for them right now - it's a great opportunity for conversions!

18. Bay91
    Skink

Bay91 New Member

Thanks alot!

As a matter of fact, one of the guys where I play have won the World Championship in warhammer a couple of times. So im going to ask him when i meet him agian, so I can make a good armylist. But for now, I just need "some of all", so I can play with some different tacs and armies ;-)

19. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Putzfrau Well-Known Member

Just buy more skinks. You need a whole boat load of them.

After that get more temple guard.

Then i'd say you're all set.