1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Caprasauridae's Lizardmen (Woogity's Rex! )

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Caprasauridae, Mar 22, 2012.

1. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

FavoredoftheOldOnes Member

Re: Caprasauridae's Lizardmen (New Salamander WIP pictures!)

They are coming along very nicely. Keep it up!

2. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Maybe purple, yellow, or light brown? The brown might look a bit dull, though.

You could possibly give the under belly a solid wash with Baal Red (or whatever it's called these days), then re-highlight. It could give the "lava effect", or it could just look awful :/ I'm not sure how to crack this nut.

3. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Caprasauridae Well-Known Member

Thanks guys!

Old Mossy: I don't think I'll touch the skin anymore, I'd probably just ruin it for good. Especially now since the model is glued onto the base. Purple and pink might work, but personally I think I like yellow better. Anyway, I appreciate the feedback, thanks a ton!

4. Dancing with Saurus
    Skink

Dancing with Saurus New Member

Hi Caprasauridae,

Your Sallies look good. What skin colour is that and what wash did you use? Might be a good colour for my Slann. Regarding back fins i'd just paint them a bit lighter to contrast with the body more. A bit of white (or your yellow) to the basecoat would probably do i reckon. You've got a good amount of contrast with the black and metallics i think.

FYI it's a lovely, bright army you've got there.

DWS

5. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Thanks a ton, DwS! I like bright colours and one of the reasons I chose Lizardmen was the freedom of colours you can use.

The Salamander skin was done as follows:

White basecoat
    couple layers of Blazing Orange (old GW paint)
    two heavy washes of Fuegan Orange (new GW shade)
    Layering/highlighting with very watered down Troll Slayer Orange (new GW paint)

The old GW wash, Ogryn Flesh, probably works too, but I think the crevices will be a lot darker then, especially if you use two undiluted washes like I did. Oh, and just noticed that the GW Paint Conversion Chart shows that the Troll Slayer Orange is supposed to replace the Blazing Orange, but they are very different colours.

Anyway, thanks again and good luck with your Slann!

6. Dancing with Saurus
    Skink

Thanks Caprasauridae! One Slann armrest complete and i'm very happy so far ;-).

7. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

Re: Caprasauridae's Lizardmen (now with 100% more Scar-Vet!)

I like them just how they are, but could see the fins/sails getting a drybrush of the yellow/brigth orange just on the side ridges. Don't forget a somewhat shiny clearcoat to really bring out the bright colors. Love the contrasting black and the gold is a nice touch!

8. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Thanks, T'hink! Yeah, maybe I'll just use a mixture of bright orange and bright yellow and do a small edge highlight/drybrush of the fins. By clearcoat do you mean varnish? As I only have matte varnish. And it's not gold, it's supposed to be bronze. For some reason the Sycorax Bronze looks really bright. I haven't given it any washes yet. I have this weird OCD that if it's supposed to protect something or hit against someone, it cannot be gold, as it is generally too soft. I know, magic could fix that, but... It's just me.

9. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

Yeah, varnish. On brighter colors I like a little gloss. The matte finish tends to change the look too much.

Bronze and gold are pretty close, and even closer once you add some weathering and shading. I just assume that all the gold used by the Lizards for weapons and armor is magically enhanced to be the hardness of steel, owing to the lack of iron ore in Lustria, and an abundance of both gold and magic :)

10. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

11. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Whoa, thanks for the links, n810! That's some really interesting stuff! It says there that the tumbaga can be treated with acid to remove the bronze and leave a golden outer layer. Clearly my lizards have omitted that step. For some reason Salamanders have gone through it, maybe their home swamp is acidic or something?

12. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

So I got around to finish the Salamanders. They got some extra attention to the bases and I'm quite satisfied with them. Though I did fumble the first time I tried to paint the dorsal fins and had to repaint them (after couple of hours of painting, I was in exactly the same point where I started from, ugh). After doing the base paint again, I decided to just go with a bit brighter highlights. I don't know if you can actually see them in the pictures, but they give some definition to the fins. Well, you can judge yourselves. Here they are:

IMAG0346_zpsecc731d5.jpg

I decided to try to make the bases all pretty and thought of adding the snake trio from Cold One Cavalry kit into the fray. With the snakes I tried a bit different technique from my usual and I'm very happy with the result, even though it's not nearly as precise as Dancing With Saurus', for example. Still, it's a promising start, I think!

IMAG0352_zps543a20a3.jpg

On her other flank, she has some grassy areas and a skull of a former prey, maybe?

IMAG0351_zps7a070ec3.jpg

The male one got much more traditional base, but it was fun to make!

IMAG0354_zps0b3b5173.jpg

IMAG0353_zps0023e2f4.jpg

And finally an aerial shot to give a better overall view to the bases:

IMAG0350_zpsfdb8b52d.jpg

All in all, I really like these two creatures. I got to try new things while painting them and the results weren't horrendous, at least not in my mind. And I'm starting to get into basing! Still, have a long way to go, but at least it's not making me cringe anymore.

Next, I'll start painting more Saurus Warriors and Skinks. I'd love to move on to Terradons, but I need more flesh to my army to be able to play a decent sized games. I'll post pictures of finished units or if I stray into new projects or manage to accomplish something noteworthy, but it is likely that the next update will not come anytime soon. I'd still love to hear your opinions and comments of the progress so far. They make updating and even painting worthwhile!

Bowser and Sudaj like this.
  13. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Re: Caprasauridae's Lizardmen (With finished Salamders 10.1.

Indeed they turned out rather nicely. :)

14. Dancing with Saurus
    Skink

They're looking good. Nice bases as well.

I know what you mean about Terradons. I'm really looking forward to painting them and I keep almost finding an excuse to buy them but when you've got cold ones, a slann, a steggie and some Temple Guard to paint it's difficult to justify them :-(.

15. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Thanks guys!

Dancing with Saurus: I just bought 4 Terradons in a blind spending spree, without thinking of uses for them or anything. Makes justifying easy... But now I, too, have way too many things to paint, so I'm not going to buy anything for awhile. Except if I find a Stegadon from eBay for a good price...

16. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

FavoredoftheOldOnes Member

The bases came out very nicely Caprasauridae. A good compliment to equally good painted models.

17. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Thanks a lot, Favored! For a long time I wasn't interested at all in making bases, but after some experimenting, I'm starting to get into it. I'm not too thrilled about the idea of basing all the models I have ready, though... Luckily I'm OCD enough to not be able to left them without a base now, so it's only a matter of time.

18. Kugelfang
    Saurus

Kugelfang Member

Enjoying the models and the paint scheme. I wish I had the basing skills. I feel like my bases take away from models. However, I am trying to get better with my Lizardmen now that I have started them.

19. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Thank you for your kind words, Kugelfang. I'm still very new to basing, and I think my skill level is still pretty low. But, with every model I learn something new. Still, many bases I see, for example here on this forum, make me really envious. Maybe someday we'll get there too!

20. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Re: Caprasauridae's Lizardmen (A Fresh Oldblood Model!)

Hey all!

Haven't been able to do much painting recently, and even then been stick to the Saurus Warriors. So I needed a breather and finally painted an Oldblood model. This was actually the very first Lizardmen figure I bought. I have just been postponing the painting, as I couldn't decide a colour scheme. I finally was able to settle on one and here's the final product:

IMAG0381_zps582e99c8.jpg

IMAG0382_zpsaa5b69ce.jpg

IMAG0383_zpsb1765a34.jpg

IMAG0384_zpscf5c9e0e.jpg

IMAG0386_zps022eb6eb.jpg

IMAG0387_zpsc9868ae7.jpg

IMAG0391_zps32e2aae2.jpg

IMAG0392_zps824dad89.jpg

All in all, I'm really happy with this guy. I'm totally in love with the orange-white theme, even though the legs didn't turn up as well as I had wanted. They are a pain to paint, sometimes. This guy has lots of bling on him, as is fitting to an old and scarred warrior, and I tried to make it as variable as I could. I also enjoyed the base. I can see why other more skilful painters don't like the ready base, especially since if you put the guy on some other base, you have to model the toes, too, as they are part of the base. Plus, if you have multiple models, it looks a bit weird that they all are coming down identical stairs. But for somebody who is inexperienced in basing, this was really fun to paint and do. In addition, it gave more motivation to base the rest of my miniatures!

Anyway, thanks for this checking out! Comments and questions are always welcome.

Bracnos, Bowser and Sudaj like this.