1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Don't have enough monsters? Or just want to show off your painting skills. Why not try entering the Monster Mash! - Click here for more info.
    Dismiss Notice

Chaos space marines

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Canas, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Canas
    Skar-Veteran

Canas Well-Known Member

I got a random start collecting box of chaos space marines for my birthday, anyone know what's a halfway decent load-out for the things in it so I don't regret what I've build them with if I start making a proper army with them somewhere down the line? Some genius decided that these boxes apparently need no explenation of what the various options are, let alone stat-lines.

2. Padre
    Ripperdactil

Padre Well-Known Member

I might wait and see what Killteam looks like. A single box won't do much for you army-wise, but it would work as is for Killteam.

3. Canas
    Skar-Veteran

Canas Well-Known Member

I'm not expecting it to make an entire army. Just don't want to end up having the entire box be useless cuz I happenend the pick a bunch of useless weapons. The instruction booklets in it are dissapointingly lacking when compared to AoS ones

4. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Skink Chief

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Well-Known Member

I would advise to do as @Padre says and save them for either the upcoming Kill Team or use them in Shadow War Armageddon - for some Chaos Cultist new recruits there’s a box GW does for about £5 or so which is nice - some of the old Dark Vengeance ones. I got one of these boxes a while back and painted them up as smuggler crewmen for Necromunda.

Alternatively if you want to you can just expand this into a small 1000 point army to play 6th and 7th Ed 40K with - in these editions Chaos Dreadnoughts (I’m assuming you have one in the SC box) are considerably better than they were in the 4th Ed codex (I have a small army of them myself and a copy of the 4th Ed book), and a Chaos Land Raider, Maulerfiend and Heldrake are some solid choices from the new 6th Ed codex, as well as the Maulerfiend being an awesome model. You get a Terminator character too who can be built as either a Chaos Lord or Sorcerer I think - if you plan to go Tzeentch, I’d say build him as a Sorcerer, otherwise build him as a Chaos Lord. Chaos Lords are strong in combat, able to beat their equivalent from regular Space Marines easily along with many other HQ choices, especially with Terminator armour.

5. Canas
    Skar-Veteran

Canas Well-Known Member

The box contains 10 chaos space marines, a hellbrute & a terminator chaos lord/sorcerer.

Mostly I'm just trying to figure out what the hell are decent options as the booklet in it explains nothing beyond "this is a gun you can stick on this model". With just this box I have no idea what the difference is between a chainsword and a powerfist other than that I stick a different hand on the model.

Could you gimme a short description of what each option roughly does and wether or not it's terrible? E.g. are they any good with bolters or is it better to just default to chainsowrds. What's the difference between the various icons. What do the various special weapons do (and what is each special weapon, I know one is a plasma cannon and one of the others is supposed to be a flamer, but the two remaining ones both look like they could be flamers) etc.

6. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Skink Chief

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Well-Known Member

In 6th and 7th Edition Chaos Marines come with bolt pistols and bolters and can have hand weapons at an additional points cost without needing to model the whole lot with hand weapons and pistols, so they can use their hand weapon and bolt pistol in melee to give them an additional attack, along with the bonuses for charging and (if you go Khorne) the Mark of Khorne, giving them a potential 3 attacks each in addition to their good 3+ armour save. You will need to model at least one with hand weapon and pistol as hand weapons are not part of the default profile anymore. For the Champion, however, a Chainsword basically counts as a regular hand weapon in 6th and 7th (don't know about 8th) so if you're fighting regular Space Marines, Necrons or other heavily-armoured armies I would go with the Power Fist as it's AP 2 (meaning it ignores all saves of 2+ or worse) and doubles the wielder's strength to 8. It does also force him to strike last but regular marines and Necrons will struggle to do much damage to your own blokes anyway unless you're locked in melee with an elite unit like Terminators or Lychguard, which ordinary Chaos Marines shouldn't be fighting in melee anyway.

Icon of Wrath gives the unit Furious Charge and a re-roll to charge, and can only be taken by units with Mark of Khorne, which gives them +1 attack as mentioned before. Icon of Flame gives the unit's bolter weapons Soul Blaze and can only be taken by units with Mark of Tzeentch. Icon of Despair gives the unit the Fear special rule and can only be taken by units with Mark of Nurgle. Icon of Excess gives the unit Feel No Pain and can only be taken by units with the Mark of Slaanesh. Finally Icon of Vengeance can be taken by any unit that can take icons and gives the unit Fearless.

Hellbrutes, AKA Chaos Dreadnoughts, can ideally take any combination of shooting weapons and melee weapons and work well in battle.

7. Canas
    Skar-Veteran

Canas Well-Known Member

Mm, right, thanks. At least that makes the hellbrute easy, just pick whatever looks cool for now then. The rest is a bit more questionable but I'l have a look.

8. Canas
    Skar-Veteran

Canas Well-Known Member

edit; never mind I figured it out, Im an idiot

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018 at 9:06 PM