1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Character Challenge Voting Thread

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by SeBM, Jun 13, 2011.

?

Which entry should be awarded the win in the character challenge?

1. Character 1 - Scar-Veteran Conversion

10 vote(s)
    19.6%
  2. Character 2 - Space Marine

6 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. Character 3 - Queen Khalida

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Character 4 - Skink Chief

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Character 5 - Goblin Shaman

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Character 6 - Skink Chief

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  7. Character 7 - Liche Priest

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Character 8 - Skink Priest Huinichuq

24 vote(s)
    47.1%
  9. Character 9 - Beastman Hero

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Character 10 - A Skink Priest

7 vote(s)
    13.7%
  1. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

After a very long wait (I must apologize once more for taking so long to post this thread) here is the character challenge voting thread. Look at each entry before voting!

Character 1 - A Scar-Veteran Conversion
    ThundaParrot3.jpg
    ThundaParrot4.jpg
    ThundaParrot2.jpg
    ThundaParrot1.jpg

Character 2 - A Space Marine
    P5122260.jpg
    P5122258.jpg

Character 3 - Queen Khalida
    Rokanos3-1.jpg
    Rokanos2-1.jpg
    Rokanos1-1.jpg

Character 4 - A Skink Chief
    N810scharacter4-1-m.jpg
    N810scharacter3-1.jpg
    N810scharacter1-1.jpg
    N810scharacter2-1.jpg

Character 5 - A Goblin Shaman
    PaintedFrontr1.jpg
    PaintedRearr1.jpg

Character 6 - A Skink Chief
    Arli2.jpg
    Arli1.jpg

Character 7 - A Liche Priest
    77are491.jpg
    77are492.jpg
    77are493.jpg

Character 8 - Skink Priest Huinichuq
    DF2k1.jpg
    DF2k2.jpg
    DF2k3.jpg

Character 9 - Beastman Hero
    AoWbeastmen012.jpg
    AoWbeastmen005.jpg

Character 10 - A Skink Priest
    HashBash3-1.jpg
    HashBash2-1.jpg
    HashBash1-1.jpg

2. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

No. 9 has no pic.

No. 2 has a pic that is so small it is impossible to judge the quality.

Great job everyone though. maybe ill join next time ^^

3. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

Thanks for pointing that out, I'll hava to contact number 9 to get pictures of a format I can upload to photobucket. I changed the pictures for number 2 and you should now be able to see the miniature very well.

Thanks once again!!!!

4. Deathfrisbee2000
    Kroxigor

Deathfrisbee2000 New Member

Woot! Voting time! Lots of good stuff. Everyone did an amazing job!

--DF2K

5. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

I find it hard to vote only for one miniature. I think the contestants did a fantastic job!!!! There are some miniatures with lots of conversion work on there and some seriously well painted too... No matter who ends up winning, I think it's safe to say that this 1st character challenge was a huge success, exept for the part where I didn't put up the voting poll right away :D.

6. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

I'll wait to vote til I see #9

7. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

I just received the pictures in the correct format for character #9 so everyone should be able to see him now.

KEEP VOTING!

8. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

I missed this comp being AWOL... Oh well, I agree it looks like everyone has done a really good job! Fantastic work on all of them, and very hard to pick a winner. I think it could easily be tied between 4-5 of the entries, however, with only one vote.. Well, it looks like one of them is leading easily for just edging out the rest.

9. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

I agree that I was hesitating between 3 entries when the time to vote came. And I could easily have included 2 others but I must admit I gave a little edge to entries with little conversion work or creative use of bitz.

Keep voting people and also stay tuned, I have a new idea for a challenge during the summer, I'll let you guys know in a week or two so for those interested in taking part in a similar challenge, stay tuned!

10. MI_Tiger
    Temple Guard

MI_Tiger Member

Thanks for running this - it was just the motivation I needed to complete at least one model. :D

I would suggest that we hold to a strict deadline next time. I know that I had originally planned to do some conversion, or at least a more interesting base, but I ran out of time (due completely to my own procrastination). Its not a big deal, but the late entries definitely had a time advantage.

I'd love this to continue, and it would be great if we could add a small prize as incentive, but I'm not sure how that would work. I'd be willing to "sponsor" a contest with a small prize (maybe $10-15 dollars gift certificate to the Warstore or another retailer), but I wouldn't want to go it alone - would others be willing to donate a gift certificate or a custom model or piece of terrain?

If nothing else, could the mods develop a apecial tag for the contest winners?

11. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

Actually if anyone is willing to make a winner tag, that would be awesome!!!! As for the entries, out of 10 participants, only 2 were late and they aren't winning atm. And to be faire, they were one or two day late and I was the one procrastinating about putting the poll online :D.

I also plan to run another challenge and have it start in early July when this one is completely finished.

12. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

I know Craken has some good photoshop skills, several others do to. If someone makes something, I am sure Sammy or I would be happy to try to get it into a profile somewhere.

Also, I may possibly have a way to get a prize for the next one.. I'll talk to some people and see if anything is possible.

SeBM, could you let me know what you plan for the next challenge? That might help it as well. If you don't want to let everyone know, PM me.

13. Juhaaha
    Razordon

Juhaaha Member

Let me know when new challange appeares. in TPV we had a competition to paint 200sh points every month

14. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Ummm... looks like we have a clear winner... :rolleyes:
    (sigh... Well at least I got 1 vote)

15. Dog On Todd
    Kroxigor

Dog On Todd Member

2 after my vote! (if yours is the one I think it is)

And I'll definitely try and finish gluing my first conversion attempt for the next one! My painting skills are seriously lacking compared to most of these, but it might be 2 models combined most of you haven't seen in a while (my warhammer are models from '93/'96).

16. sevensevensare49
    Kroxigor

sevensevensare49 Member

This one's a no-brainer :jawdrop:
    apart from metall's Space Marine, there's absolutely no love for the non Lizardmen figures o_O

17. 1968yearofmetall
    Cold One

1968yearofmetall New Member

means I did something right ;)

18. MI_Tiger
    Temple Guard

MI_Tiger Member

There may be an understandable bias toward Lizardmen, but there's more to it than that (and my entry was one of the non-LM). The winning entry is very well painted and has a base that is relatively simple, but is creative and fits the figure perfectly. Overall it looks fantastic (and it got my vote). Great job!

19. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

Personnaly, my 2nd place vote would have gone to Queen Khalida, which I think was fantastic... I also like entry number 1 and 10... In the end, I went for the overall feel of the miniature. Like MI_Tiger said, I really liked the base because I think it really brought the best out of the miniature. The same paint job without the creative base might not have gotten my vote.

I must say once more that the level of painting in this contest was excellent and it was very hard to pick a winner. That being said, I think there is a general agreement towards who should win this 1st character challenge.

I'm very happy with both the participation and the voting. I'm looking into making regular painting challenges. I expect to announce the next one the 1st week of july so we can start on the 7th. I really hope to have the same level of painting and the same number of participants.

Your humble painting challenges organizer :D

SeBM

20. Elmquasmash
    Razordon

Elmquasmash New Member

Well, I like the conversion idea for the Scar Vett/Oldblood but the photo is just a little too dark OR the paint just doesn't make the whole model pop enough. I think if the colors were mixed up a bit more it would have been a serious contender ;) It still got my vote though!