1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Children of Qukai'Huan - Update: Carnosaur painted

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by totzro, Oct 26, 2011.

1. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

Re: Children of the lost jade city Qukai'Huan - totzros pain

Thanks!
    The green circle thingy is a wheel from some misfortunate cart. It's from the GW basing kit.

Ok! The unit filler will be the next thing to get some paint. I've already basecoated it.

2. bgm200
    Saurus

bgm200 New Member

oh cool

Hehe no rush mate ;)

3. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

I actually managed to finish the unit filler the other day! It's not my best paint job since I feel a little rusty at the moment, but it will do for tabletop standard.

Now I'm eager to start converting my next unit filler, I've a great idea. But first i figure I should finish the paint on the rest of the saurus or the terradons or my priests or the scar vet or the skinks or salamander or....

4. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

ACTION! :D

Thats a really cool filler. adds a lot of life to a unit i can imagine :) Best touch up on the edges on teh base though ;)

5. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

agreed, looks great, shouting out a challenge. The broken, jade pillar came out well too. Looks aged.

6. Moniker
    Kroxigor

Moniker Member

Looks good! This has always been a good thread. I've been experimenting with jade a bit myself recently but yours looks fantastic. Have you gone through your method on this thread somewhere? Anyone know which page?

7. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

Hi! Thank you for nice comment ^^

I think I've told my recipe of the jade but I'm happy to tell you again.

Firstly I don't think this really matter but is noteworthy that I prime my models white.

Jade:

I start with a base coating of orkhide shade, then I give a heavy wash of thraka green.

Then i drybrush with goblin green, give it another wash of thraka.

I then drybrush it with rotting flesh and yet again a wash of thraka green.

Lastly I pick out some sharp edges with rotting flesh as a final highlight.

As you see it's lots of washes, maybe a bit unnecessary but it helps to bring the colors together and give the jade a depth.

I hope this helped.

Cheers!

Bracnos likes this.
  8. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

Got my paintbrush out tonight! I painted up my stegadon skink priest, a really nice model and as always with skinks, great character!

9. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

lovely painting and converting, though i am not a big fan of that head (i think the crest looks weird). especially the blue feathers are magnificent!

only thing i am missing is the teeth on the skink. not that they are strictly necessary, but you did such a lovely job on the rest of the model, i think he deserves fine detail like teeth :)

10. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

Thanks tsunami! The thing I don't like with the head is the neck, hence I covered it with the feather necklace :p

The teeth are painted but they stood out to much so I gave it a flesh wash. But your right, I gonna do a touch up and paint them :)

11. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

I think it looks great and your jade technique is really coming along - this is the best attempt you've made at it yet, IMO. Echo the comment on the teeth. My favorite part of this is the way you did the blending on the bird skull's beak he's wearing on his head :)

12. Moniker
    Kroxigor

Moniker Member

Thanks for the precise response! I think that's precisely what my jade is missing, depth. I think I'll try my hadn with this orkhide as well. Thank you very much!

I agree with the neck of that priest, not a huge fan. I haven't painted mine on my Engine yet, but hopefully I'll come up with something. One of these days I'll have to post my pictures so you bunch can comment on my work as I do to yours!

13. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

Hi all, long time no posts, thanks for the comments!

T`hinker`er: thanks a lot, the jade technique is getting more natural for me. The blending on the beak is done with some heavy use of badab black if anyone is interested.

Moniker: Give it a try, and donät forget the wash it really ads to the depth

Okay I just wanted tell you guys that I've been bitten by the dwarf bug and have started collecting a small force and I wanted to show you guys what I painted yesterday:

also if you're interested you can follow my dwarf paintlog here: http://www.bugmansbrewery.com/topic/37668-the-dwarfs-of-karak-or/

I hope I'll have some lizzies to post here soon when I get bored of painting beards. see ya!

14. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

Looking good!

15. Creeping Death
    Skink

Creeping Death Member

Looks really good your paint log on Bugsman Brewery. I have the Dwarfs of Battle For Skull Pass and last year I got 2 BB of Dwarfs from my friends for my Birthday. It was 2 for the price of 1!!! I build an army with them for 2500 points (with 11 Warriors still in the box). Only got the 8 miners of the BfSP box painted though. Will take a look on your paint log there once and a while, to get inspired for painting my other throngmates as well. Your bases are one of the best I've ever seen!

16. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

Thanks a lot creeping death, I hope you get your dwarfs painted. And thanks to Arli.

I got the itch to do some lizardmen again yesterday and since I recently won some old kroxigors on ebay last week I figured it was a perfect time to do a skrox unit, behold the project of the month:

I've been wanting to paint a kroxigor for a long time now so I think this unit will be very fun to paint :)

5 points to the one who can recognize where the standard bearer comes from, 'cause I have no idea...

17. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

Ooh, ooh! Pick me!

The standard bearer is Tenehuini!!! He has the Dagger of Sotek and everything! They changed his name Tehenhuan because it sounded less, well, tiny. Yeah. Skinks were "shamans" back in those days. Good times.

PROOF!
    http://www.blood-bowl-miniatures.de/bb/bb4_GDlizards.html

18. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

Oh awesome so that's where he comes from! I figured he was blessed by sotek and you should be pretty important to be honored to carry a plaque.

I got two of these guy (came withe the kroxigors) although no daggers and one is missing the standard arm (but the standard was included).

I had not seen this minature before, when was it released?

Anyway, thanks for the info!

19. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

Very nice unit there. I look forward to seeing it painted.

20. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

I know he is a 5th edition relic, so probably releasd in 1999 or 2000. Sometime when Inxi-Huinzi was still a special character and Dogs of War were an army. Definitey discontinued before the Lustria campaign when they made him look buffer. (circa 2004) Probably something to do with the name change.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised that they kept TikTaqTo's name. In 5th edition most of the skink characters had silly names that seem to have been phased out, like Qupakoco for example.

Very nice plog btw. I'll be keeping an eye on this. :meh: