1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Dusty's "and so it begins"

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Dustyjay90, Jan 6, 2024.

1. Dustyjay90
    Jungle Swarm

Dustyjay90 New Member

Wanted to share the beginning of my 5th edition army. Started painting my first ever lizardmen. I have a limited palet of paints which can be interesting when thinking of colour combinations.
    I hope some of you like my work.

Attached Files:

2. Dustyjay90
    Jungle Swarm

Dustyjay90 New Member

3. BurningBee
    Kroxigor

BurningBee Well-Known Member

gdt-gorilla-diamond.gif

Hi, looks like a nice start. Old Hammer is always hard to paint. Will you leave them on the thin base?

Lord-Marcus likes this.
  4. Dustyjay90
    Jungle Swarm

Dustyjay90 New Member

Thanks, I want to refine their skin more, it feels patchy still.
    No I've modeled up some proper bases which I'm going to print next week, then I'll base them properly :)

Explodingzeb likes this.
  5. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

Firstly, awesome use of vintage models. I have a bunch to paint myself.

Secondly, would you like constructive criticism? If so, what paints do you have? I'm assuming you have black primer because of the base color

6. Dustyjay90
    Jungle Swarm

Dustyjay90 New Member

I'm using warhammer paints, I don't have many to hand, and citadel black primer, I'm in the market for tips tricks, and paint suggestions :)

7. Dustyjay90
    Jungle Swarm

Dustyjay90 New Member

Spent the day painting and here are the fruits of my labour

Attached Files:

Imrahil and Explodingzeb like this.
  8. Dustyjay90
    Jungle Swarm

Dustyjay90 New Member

A few more images 20240107_002847.jpg 20240107_002847.jpg 20240107_002834.jpg

9. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

where do you live, I'll give you suggestions based on that.

Regarding paints, if you don't have many, can you take a picture of all your paints and tools? please and thank you. It will help me with the tips.

Excellent work on the unit.

10. Dustyjay90
    Jungle Swarm

Dustyjay90 New Member

I'm on the south coast of UK

Here's what I have

Attached Files:

11. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Ok, lets start with the basics: You are UK based so I am basing this upon that. painting suggestions with what you have will follow when i have sleep.

What you have is fine for now. All of the following are suggestions on how to save money in the long run:

Primer:

https://www.reddit.com/r/minipainting/comments/xto1mm/best_cheap_black_spray_paint_uk/

Check the above thread on reddit. It has UK local suggestions for inexpensive primers.

Mainline manufacturers upcharge sharply. GW is $15/20 bucks USD per can for what you can get at a $6 price point elsewhere. I'd imagine the same holds roughly true for UK brands. You can have perfectly good primer coverage from inexpensive automotive spray primers.

Paint:

As a suggestion for a brand you can get good quality paints from at a rate of 2-3 paints per 1 of GW, I'd suggest Vallejo. Specifically game color. You want to avoid air paints until you have more time with brush control. They are designed for air brushes, but you can brush-paint them too, in which case they are a thinner (runnier, in other parlance) paint to medium ratio.

Army painter CAN work, but their quality control is all over the place. AK interactive is another good brand but slightly pricier.

https://elementgames.co.uk/hobby-and-scenery/vallejo-paints

Element has had decent reviews in terms of customer service, so I'd at least look at their website to look at options.

Brushes:

There are two schools in terms of brushes for painting miniatures:

Route 1: Buy cheap, use-abuse-lose, repeat. In essence, experiment with regular artist brushes (inexpensive ones) from your local big box or Amazon. The key here is to find the brush sizes you like to use the most. Then, once you have that information, you can buy large packs of inexpensive brushes from places like Amazon or (if you are ok with buying from China) Temu. Sometimes temu sells rebranded brushes from the bigger hobby names.

Yes, your brushes will develop curves, or stray bristles, or other oddities. But at the size of the packs you can buy (I buy 100 packs from Amazon) you can afford to use them until they degrade and then have replacements at the ready.

Route 2: Buy expensive, buy care products, invest the time, keep the good brushes well maintained.

If you like to batch paint this could be the less ideal method, but it involves quality and taking care of it. i'm talking high end brushes that cost $15-20 per, even if they are small detail brushes. Taking these, familiarizing yourself with care (There is such a thing as brush soap.) and then investing the time in using those care materials.