1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Ethereal Slann Loadout

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by shelman, Mar 3, 2014.

1. shelman
    Skink

shelman Member

So I'm going to be getting a Slann soon, but alas, I have no Temple Guard block to sit him in! I'm thinking then, that the best way to use a Slann without TG is to give him Higher State of Conciousness for that Ethereal goodness.

But I have no real experience using a Slann and I'm not sure what kind of gear I should be giving him. This is what I've got so far:

Slann
    Higher State of Conciousness
    Obsidian Loadstone

Already that is getting quite expensive, but with Ethereal and a 2++ save against magical attacks he's not going to die. The way I see it, I need to be doing a lot of damage to make him worth it so I will need some of the stronger spells. Is High Magic the way to do this? Or should I just take Light or something and hope for the best?

I'm also contemplating a BSB on him, then I'll have an 'unkillable' BSB and General, so stuff near him isn't going to run away.

Please let me know what you think. What would you add to my skeleton build?

2. Xuil
    Chameleon Skink

Xuil Well-Known Member

First of all, as you rightly said, your ward save vs. magic will only ever be 2+. You get this with the Obsidian Amulet (MR(2)), so there's no need to spend an extra 15pts on the Lodestone, especially when it won't be imparted onto any unit.

If you DO go BSB, the War Banner is a lovely addition to an ethereal Slann. +2 combat resolution should see you not only holding, but actually winning combats against units with no magical attacks. Ranks are the only issue. The Crown of Command it therefore an even safer option.

High Magic is, in my mind, a must. You can switch in the hope of getting a few more damaging spells (not that High Magic is completely lacking in these), and most importantly, you get Arcane Unforging. Plink those magical weapons off characters trying to hunt you!

The Dragonbane Gem never goes amiss for 5 points. A few nasty hunters (phoenixes and the like) have both flaming and magical attacks. A 2+ ward against them is pretty tasty and inexpensive.

All in all, it depends very much on your meta. I find myself throwing a potion of speed on my slain due to the Initiative-test-heavy casting of my opponents! The Slann drinks it on a turn when he is in a risky spot, and I don't HAVE to burn my scroll on any initiative spell aimed at him that turn.

3. Necromancy Black
    Saurus

Necromancy Black New Member

There's a couple of problems I found with the Higher State of Consciousness Slann.

One, he can't join units. Instantly more vulnerable. Any roll and die spell (such as Pit of Shades) is gonna destroy you. In a TG unit you can at least auto pass any LoS you're allowed to take.

Two, Unstable. Can't join units so at most he could have a +2 to combat res. He gets into combat with a basic unit with 3 ranks and a banner and doesn't get a wound on them (highly likely as he sucks in combat) he'll take 2 wounds. This means you end up with a dead slann in a couple rounds of combat. And woe if the unit has magic attacks and actually wound you! Basically, your slann doesn't hold in combat, he just dies over a couple turns (at best).

Three, ethereal is pretty good, but there's still a LOT of things that can damage you. Magic Resistance only helps against spells, any other source of magically attacks can wound you find. This includes any dwarf warmahcine with a rune (and they'll always have at least one), hell cannons, scaven warmachines, etc. Sure, this may only be a problem for certain armies, but for some your Slann is incredibly vulnerable.

Four, as you said, the Higher State of Conciousness and one decent defensive item makes a slann already more expensive. It's taking up points that really are better spent elsewhere.

My advice for a solo slann, don't bother with Higher State of Consciousness. It doesn't offer much and takes up points better spent else where.

4. Sunchax
    Saurus

Sunchax Member

I would rather have him kn a skink skirmish unit, for reasons described above. Still very weak against close combat but i rather have other upgrades then ethereal.

5. hdctambien
    Terradon

hdctambien Active Member

I second this idea. Temple Guard aren't the only place a Slann can hide. The benefit of Skink Skirmishers is that they don't suffer as much from Slann Miscasts.

The Skirmishers keep you safe from Missle weapons and War Machines. If you're worried about getting into Close Combat then take Shadow (or use High Magic to swap for something in Shadow) and keep a Skink Priest nearby to wisk yourself out of danger!

6. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Putzfrau Well-Known Member

Third this idea

7. CastGaming
    Skink

CastGaming New Member

Hey I just want to ask, how is the slann getting 2++ against magical attacks, I get that you gave him the loadstone for MR(3) for a 4++ but how is he then getting the 2++?

8. Dog On Todd
    Kroxigor

Dog On Todd Member

^^ This.

Confused me during the whole read. Very pertinent thread to one I just started on running a solo slann at 1500 points though!

Tossing mine in a skirmisher block.

9. hdctambien
    Terradon

hdctambien Active Member

The Slann has a 4+ Ward and MR makes your ward save better. So MR(2) would give the Slann a 2++ vs damage from magic spells, BUT he still only gets his 4++ ward vs Magical Attacks.

I notice now that the OP did say:

Which is not actually correct. MR does not work against "magical attacks" only magic spells that deal wounds.

Xuli mentioned the Dragonbane Gem which can give you 2++ ward vs things with Flaming Magical Attacks (High Elf Pheonix, K'dai Destroyer)

10. shelman
    Skink

shelman Member

Cheers for all the feedback guys.

Sorry about all the ward save confusion shenanigans! I was not actually away magic resistance only worked on spells...how unfortunate...

11. VampTeddy
    Terradon

VampTeddy Active Member

12. hdctambien
    Terradon

hdctambien Active Member

I agree, Crown of Command is going to be a waste on an ethereal Slann.

If you really expect your ethereal Slann to be taking wounds do to CR then you may find a use for Transcendent Healing. That'll probably keep him alive for an extra turn or two.

Also, even though the ethereal Slann can't join a unit, that doesn't mean he can't stand within 3" of a unit and get a 4+ Look Out Sir. Which gives him a 75% chance to ignore a magic cannonball.

Also, you can always keep something back with the Slann to counter charge anything that gets into combat with him (A unit of Rippers maybe? 11 Skinks and a Kroxigor?) Something cheap(ish) and fast that can act like a virtual detachment for the Slann.

13. CastGaming
    Skink

CastGaming New Member

Ahhh ok thanks a lot, I just couldn't work it out in my head!! Thanks for clearing that up:)

14. shelman
    Skink

shelman Member

15. glacial
    Skink

glacial New Member

Speaking about putting slann in a skink skirmishers unit... would'n t it be better bunkering him in a 20 skinks cohort, instead? (maybe giving poisonous attacks to skinks?)

16. Man0waR
    Kroxigor

Man0waR Member

Skirmish unit can reform themshelves any time, march forwards or sidewards (just facing the new direction). You gain maneuvrability.

Also in Skirmish unit no one is base to base with Slann. So a common roll of miscast is between 5 to 9 where leave result of 7 harmless. (s10 hit to all b2b with the caster). Also if there's any template they are spread so less models will be hit.

In cohort maybe the casualties ar cheaper, but you are anchored into a Rank and File unit and give less protection to slann. (This protection is not meant to be in combat, just prevent him to blow up temple guard while he can get Look Out Sir and meat shield against magic or shooting, where skirmish suffer less than RnF so less panick checks)

17. Sunchax
    Saurus

Sunchax Member

Skirmish is also -1 to hit with balistic weapons. ;) but yea, to always be able to move slaan 8 inches in whatever way is really nice too!

18. Man0waR
    Kroxigor

Man0waR Member

As skirmisher are in scattered formation, catapults, mortars and other templates calamities would harm less models than in Rank and File. So again is the best way to have your Slann bunkered for the first and second turn.

19. cwalker
    Skink

cwalker New Member

A Life Slaan w/Ethereal, Crown, BSB and War Banner should be able to Tank a unit fairly well.

Realistically he should not be in combats unless you are very careless with him. He should always be marching 8" and he can move freely due to being Ethereal.

The only way he should be in combats is on your terms - If he is getting charged by fast cav units/flyers/solo heroes/etc.... then your skinks have not done their job and you are probably losing the game anyway.

The aforementioned Slaan can dive into a combat late game and add some serious CR to that combat. Flank, charge, BSB, War Banner - adds a +4 to that combat.

A Life Slaan can go into a non-magic unit and take a wound or two from Unstable - then just Heal back with Life Bloom. He will be going for Throne/Flesh to Stone/Shield of Thorns every turn - one of those is going off - thus giving him a wound back.

I tried this build out vs Dwarves the other day and he did pretty well.

20. Man0waR
    Kroxigor

Man0waR Member

Why not deploy Oldblood with Sorecerer's Hat (100 points item)?

You can get a 1+ AS M7 S7 5A lvl2 wizard. Well, you wont have any control of the lore or the spell, but... the face of your opponent being trolled should be awesome.

Slann is for giving Leadership, Stubborn and a solid center against the odds. You should not use him as a cowboy, which does that job better at 1/3 of the points of ethereal slann.

Yes, I have to try that Oldblood wizard :). It can be huge !!!