1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. First-ish army

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Army Lists' started by brokbrok, Sep 29, 2011.

1. brokbrok
    Cold One

brokbrok New Member

My friends and I are just picking up Fantasy after being long time 40k players. We've got a 2500 point game this following weekend so I was hoping to get some input on my list. There isn't going to be any power cannon spam lists.

It's a very magic heavy list, I think.
    30 points shy of the mark, not sure what to spend it on.
    Slann is lore of life, the skinks are gonna net me five heaven spells for kicking out the damage.
    It's so hard to put everything you want to put in a lizardmen list, it's not easy to just disregard half of the codex like you can in 40k. I want to bring two units of everything in lizardmen because everything has a good use. How do you guys cope?

2500 Pts - Lizardmen Roster

1 Slann Mage-Priest (General; Battle Standard Bearer)
    1 Cupped Hands of the Old Ones
    1 The Becalming Cogitation
    1 The Focused Rumination

Temple Guard
    1 Revered Guardian

Skink Priest
    1 Skink Priest, (Level 2 Upgrade)
    1 Ancient Stegadon
    1 Plaque of Tepok

Skink Priest
    1 Skink Priest, (Level 2 Upgrade)
    1 Cube of Darkness

Saurus Oldblood
    1 Saurus Oldblood,
    1 Beserker Sword
    1 Armour of Fortune
    1 Dawnstone

Saurus Warriors
    16 Saurus Warriors, (Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std)
    1 Saurus Champion (Hand Weapon; Shield)

Saurus Warriors
    18 Saurus Warriors, (Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std)

Skinks
    16 Skinks, (Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Javelin & Shield)
    2 Kroxigor

Ancient Stegadon
    1 Ancient Stegadon, 2 Giant Blowpipes
    5 Skink Crew

Salamander
    2 Salamander Hunting Pack,
    6 Skink Handlers

Please do not post rules for magic items. We all have the army book, thank you!

2. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

I've never played a list with 2 stegs and a slann, but I see no reason why this list wouldn't work well. I note you have no interdiction (chameleons, skink skirmishers, terradons), and those units are extremely useful. I find that I win most of the time by using such units to control the movement phase. I have yet to even assemble my Slann miniature as a result. Of course that's a rather unconventional way to play the Lizards, but I like being unpredictable.

Some might say that your combat units are a bit small - 18 Saurus make a good hammer, but will not be steadfast. A 16+2 Skrox unit is likewise not going to stick around long. On the other hand, you have more units than your opponent will likely be able to deal with (unless he has powerful/lucky warmachine/template spells), so it's a risk worth taking in a friendly game.

Personally, when starting out I would advise everyone limit themselves to magic items up to 25 point value (at least for the first 2-5 games). There are quite a lot of items over 25 points that are very good and make the game less tactically challenging, IMHO.

Your question about frenzy is yes. The Oldblood may end up charging out of the unit he is leading. Frankly I think a sword of striking or Blade of Chotek are more than adequate, considering the Old Blood's stats.

3. Battlehamster
    Saurus

Battlehamster New Member

IMO you need to make the Temple Guard bigger. You don't want to lose that 400+ pts general slann. I would take at least 16 TG, preferrably 20.

I might combine the 2 saurii units into one big one or drop the skrox and get two medium size saurus units (30+ each).

Get some chameleon skinks!

4. brokbrok
    Cold One

brokbrok New Member

Thanks for the replies.
    I've got some skirmishers, they're mostly being used as consorts for the krox though. I'll have to count up what I have, I think I got a cheap set on ebay a little while ago.
    I haven't gotten any terradons or chameleons yet, they're too expensive to buy new with how few of them are in a package. (1x for terradons, wtf) So I've got to bide my time until I find the right auction or GW re-releases them as more affordable.

Whats a good number of chameleons and terradons to have for higher point games? We're trying to get up to 3000/4000 so we can bring the fun stuff like monsters. I'm mainly pushing for 4k so I can have a slann and a carnosaur.

Making a single horde of saurus freed up enough points for 16 skirmishers. I don't know how comfortable I am with how maneuverable that will make me then. I'd really only have a single core unit and would have to hope that massed shooting kept the enemy from eating my flanks..... how about this:
    same list except

Saurus Oldblood
    1 Saurus Oldblood,
    1 Beserker Sword
    1 Shield of Maiming
    1 Dawnstone

Saurus Warriors
    28 Saurus Warriors, (Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std)
    1 Saurus Champion (Hand Weapon; Shield)

Skink Skirmishers
    10 Skink Skirmishers, (Blowpipe)

Skink Skirmishers
    10 Skink Skirmishers, (Blowpipe)

So the only thing to change is the oldblood equipment, consolidate the saurus into a horde, and the only thing added was two units of skirmishers. Nothing was removed.

The way I'd use it is with the Saurus wall out front, skirmishers on the side, everything else in the back.

The skirmishers would harass and either flee before a charge or take the charge, in order to provide counter charges by the stegadons, temple guard, and skinxigors. The spell casters would try and stay center mass to lay out the devastation. I'll have to read up on which spells require line of site.

Same as first post.

5. Coatl
    Temple Guard

Coatl New Member

i like the change, except id still be concerned about the amount of TG. besides that everything looks pretty good. o and just fyi, you can have a slann and carni in 3k games :)

6. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

For chameleons I'd go with units of 7 guys, making one a scout. Well worth the points since he can double tap his blowpipe.

Skirmisher units of 10 are good. I'd rather have 2 smaller ones that all my eggs in one basket.