1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TOW First test 1500

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Army Lists' started by Fxt, Feb 14, 2024.

1. Fxt
    Skink

Fxt Member

Hi everyone, this weekend I'll play my first Tow game and I decided to try this list.

I was thinking. ScarVet on Carno can only have 4+ on AS, but everything he have to fight probably have -1AP or more, so is probably better to have AS5+ unchangeable.
    Make him BSB have two pros: improving his rally cry range and the standard, to try helping him survive the shooting phase (with moonson help too).

I'm not so sure about equipping the Slann. He is already overpriced for being a simple lv4 mage and I don't want to spend any point on temple guards. I only gave him double lore in case I need drain magic ( or i want to try having fury of Khaine).

Rest of list is probably classic, some skinks, some kroxs, a Bastilodon.

Next time i'll probably try a skink chief on steg with the same equip as this scarvet and some flying units instead of bastilodon.

===
    Liz1500 [1498 pts]
    Warhammer: The Old World, Lizardmen
    ===

++ Characters [679 pts] ++

Slann Mage-Priest
    - General
    - Arcane Familiar
    - Elementalism/High Magic

Saurus Scar-Veteran
    - Great weapon
    - Battle Standard Bearer
    - Sun Standard Of Chotec
    - Carnosaur
    - Armour of Meteoric Iron
    - Talisman of Protection

++ Core Units [441 pts] ++

17 Saurus Warrior
    - Shieldwall
    - Spawn Leader (champion)
    - Standard bearer
    - Musician

11 Skink Skirmishers
    - Javelins & Shield
    - The Scouts

10 Skink Skirmishers
    - Javelins & Shield

10 Skink Skirmishers
    - Javelins & Shield

++ Special Units [378 pts] ++

4 Kroxigors
    - Ancient (champion)

1 Bastiladon
    - thunderous bludgeon and Solar Engine

2. discomute
    Terradon

discomute Well-Known Member

I like champions in skink units for the challenge, reduce what gets killed when it comes to monsters and if you don't get run down you have a good chance of rallying. The ability to flee through the krox help too. So anyway I'd change the unit of 11 to 10 and get a champ.

Shieldwall without spears is an interesting choice. As are only 17 Saurus. But it's allt theory at this point

3. Kalisto
    Temple Guard

Kalisto Active Member

Sincerely I prefer chameleons than skinks scout. Mostly because 10 models are a lot and you have not the space to hide them. Evasive is a bit meh on chameleon but BS4 compensate it. You can even save 5 points for a skink champion or something else. Soulstone on Slann may be worth it

4. Fxt
    Skink

Fxt Member

my problem with chamaleon is:

10 scout skinks with jav are 60 points, can march & shoot and have not penalty to do so, can always stand & shoot, so you can literally put in front of enemy unit to shoot in short range at 4+ to hit. Plus they have 5+ armour and fill the core quota.

5 chamaleon are 55 points, cannot march & shoot, and even with bs4, they are probably always shoot at 5+, 6+ if in long range. half the wounds, only 6+ armour. If they still had the additional -1 to be hit, I'd be play them, without it are not whorth the cost in my opinion. Probably at 2k points, playing with 3x max limits, one or 2 units can be included...

anyway, I tried the list changing bastilodon for 5 cold ones. bad choice, they failed the stupidity test twice, then they died XD.
    I have to try again the carno, he tried to fight the dragon but i simply failed all 5+ rolls.

5. Kalisto
    Temple Guard

Kalisto Active Member

yeah Chameleons are better at 2000, but i the other side is easier to deploy 5 scout and not 10.
    Cold one are just bad if you don’t have a Slann near, have a lot of experience playing them as dark elves and they are unplayable with ld8. 9 is a bit better but still risky.
    Carnosaur against dragon got no really a chance. Especially if is an elven or chaos leader on it with WS 7 and badassling helm= the carnosaur hit only at 6+… good luck

your only chance to kill the dragon is the oldlord on it, not the carnosaur…. Carnosaur may work well will all other large targets but not dragons

6. airjamy
    Bastiladon

airjamy Well-Known Member

Looks pretty decent! I think i would put Scouts on a 10 man unit of Skinks to be able to drop them easier, but that is a small thing.

Do note that there is an argument to make for none of our characters to be allowed to buy magic armor. We all have "counts as" armor, and you are only allowed to buy magical armor if you already have a suit of armor or you can buy one. Counts as armor =/= actual armor, so maybe we are not allowed to buy ay armor at all, so no Meteoric Iron for us. What makes me think this even more is the simple fact we have no magical armor at all in our book and the fact that if you say a Scarvet gets to buy armor your Skink Priest gets to do it as well (as he has the same counts as armor as the Scarvet!), which is likely not the case. Just something to discuss before you start a game with an opponent, i think it is not a stretch that it should be allowed, but something to be midnful off regardless.

7. Fxt
    Skink

Fxt Member

one of the unit have scout.
    about the argument, i replied to you on the other tread you opened, i don't think thats the case

discomute and airjamy like this.