1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ghost lizards (now with even more pics)

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Peukon, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Peukon
    Skink

Peukon New Member

Hi guys,

I resenclty spent a lot of time think about my theme for my Lizardmen army, and I'm set on doing a "Tlax" ghost theme. To do that ofcouse I need to find a way to paint my lizardmen ghostly. To that extend I seached far and wide and found this method:

http://www.vampirecounts.net/showthread.php?tid=1944&pid=31508#pid31508

It is in my opinion the most amazing way I've seen ghost painted (and it's easy too).

So I'm think of making most of my army this way. I know it might be a little boring to look ad if everything is painted that way, so I was thinking of maybe picking out gold and stone and paint that in a real/non-ghostly way. Do you think that will be enough not to make the army to dull?

Also my plan is to make the bases more interesting with ruins of the ancient "Tlax" city.

What do you guys think of the premiss, will it work?... and how do you think it will look?

2. Uncle Grog
    Skink

Uncle Grog New Member

Re: Ghost lizards

That is a very neat way to do ghosts and it looks sort of simple also.

3. hellbreaker
    Troglodon

hellbreaker New Member

Interesting.

The city Tlax for me is the best part of the Lizardmen fluff so it sounds really cool to me.
    Maybe put on a very thin coat of gold and such on the details then wash those details in thraka green too?
    I'm not that used to washes as I don't use them myself...

I hope you do this, it's honestly awesome!

Cheers!

4. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

I think that would look really awesome! I wish I had thought of that...
    One thing I think you'll need to do is get the Kroak model and field him as a regular Slann.
    This sort of base is what I think you should go with:

5. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Those ghosts do indeed look very cool...

It should be possible to modify the technique to make the army look more unique. You would have to experiment a bit with different shades and possibly even adding in a bit of a different wash colour with that green. A couple ideas:

Make the darker bit the scales instead of lower half for some contrast
    Use heavier or lighter amount of wash depending on the unit. Skinks could be really pale, almost white, while the bigger saurus could be a fair bit darker and greener
    Pick out the eyes with a completely contrasting colour, red maybe

It will take a bit of work to get the army as a whole to look good on the table, but should be a very cool scheme. Good luck with it.

6. ColdBlood666
    Chameleon Skink

ColdBlood666 New Member

Thats exactly what I did for my vampire army I bought a box of the lord of the rings "army of the dead" and it allowed me enough models to create 5 spirit hosts for 22$! looks like he threw in some special characters as well though.

7. Peukon
    Skink

Peukon New Member

Thanks for all your comments and ideas, I'm really glad you like the premiss. I just can't wait to get started, and hope to make a test model or two this weekend.

It's my favorite part too :)

I'll definitely experiment a bit with it once I got the basic technique down.

That might work, although a ghost Slann on a "real" palanquin would also looks sweet :)
    ...The bases where very nice... but I think I'll make my own (with patterns of ruins that fit together)

I'll definalty have to experiment a bit with it once I get the basics down, but your ideas are really good. I can't wait to get started :)

8. Aikar
    Saurus

Aikar New Member

Hey mate , your idea is great! I think you should go on on that ! also add some good conversions and it should look very unique.

9. Peukon
    Skink

Peukon New Member

Hi guys,

I did my first two test yesterday and I'm happy with the result the first test (still got a lot of work to to to make them look great, but the look ok now)
    I thought I would share them with with you, so here it is:

It's not the best picture in the world I know, but I hope the idea can be seen. They a lot brighter in reality and all in all the picture doesn't do them justice (I'll try to get some better pics of them later).

My next few test models will feature gold (one model painted after the ghost effest to make it stand out, and one before to make it more ghoslty). I will also try to paint the eyes a different color. The next batch will also be a bit brighter (espcially on the top of the tail running all the way down)

Anyway I hope you like it, and any ideas and suggestions are still very welcome.

/ Peter AKA Re'tep Slann of Tlax

Attached Files:

10. strewart
    OldBlood

Re: Ghost lizards (now with pics)

Good start, I will be interested to see the results of your experimental models. It certainly does look like it is missing something at the moment, but there are a lot of ways it could go. I like the idea of ghostly gold.

Perhaps even making the head crests a different colour would make them better? From the pictures, that is the bit that stands out to me that looks 'wrong' for some reason.

11. dhuan gor
    Saurus

dhuan gor New Member

AWESOME

12. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

Nice job! Are you going to paint the eyes and mouths?

13. Bubba gar
    Skink

Bubba gar New Member

Looks good so far. would like to see a finshed model.what way are you going to bace the models.

14. mijj22
    Skink

mijj22 New Member

they look incredible

15. hellbreaker
    Troglodon

hellbreaker New Member

Looking forward to your test models. ^_^

Cheers!

16. Peukon
    Skink

Peukon New Member

thanks for all you comments guys, I finally got some light and took a picture of my next test model, a Saurus with gold faded ghostly greenish. I also tried to paint gold after the green ink on the "old" skink (it's doesn't work as well as the inked one I think). But the Skink does have red eyes. I'm deffianly gonna paint all the ghosts with red eyes.

Keep your comments coming :)

I'm struggling with what do to with the rest of the units, should I paint everything ghostly, or only the skins and Saurus (that's what I'm leaning to right now). But wouldn't a ghost Saurus ridding on a "real" Cold One look a bit strange?

Attached Files:

17. strewart
    OldBlood

Nice, looking good. I really like the red eyes, and the gold came out well. I would try painting the teeth properly too, it doesn't really fit into the traditional 'ghost' image that well but it could look good. Or maybe paint them a ghostly yellow or something.

Consider ghost skinks riding a real stegadon too.. Though I think that will look a lot more acceptable than real cold ones. You might have to try to come up with conversion ideas for the mounts and other creatures so they fit in better without looking either out of place or blending in too much.

18. hellbreaker
    Troglodon

hellbreaker New Member

Skeletal pieces for the mounts?

Just an idea though, maybe use source lighting on the eyes?
    As in creating the illusion of light.

Cheers!

19. Trevy the Great
    Skink

Trevy the Great New Member

Whoa, very nice! SethDrallitoc would be proud.

20. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

Wow, those are so cool!