1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help help me with this model please

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Bracnos, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Bracnos
    Carnasaur

Bracnos Well-Known Member

Se in my last trip to Vienna my wife surprised me with this fantastic model

20160322_150458.jpg

Problem is I have no interest in having a orger army, so I thought I could used this as a proxy for a engine of the Gods...but how do I go about it? Please any advice would be so awesome!!

Toltecatl and Bowser like this.
  2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Hmm...
    step 1
    replace ogres with skinks.
    Step 2
    replace ogre looking bits with lizard looking bits.

Bowser likes this.
  3. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Sell it or swap it for a steggy!

4. Bracnos
    Carnasaur

I can't dell it is a gift from my wife. That would be like I got her a ring and she sells it for the one she wanted more...not going to happen mate;)

5. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

A proxy engine of the gods could work, OR.... Lustrian Themed Ogres!

Shipwrecked, lost, or just bored, this particular Ogre tribe has gone native and are getting in touch with their inner reptile.
    Ogres 1.png
    Here is the link to the flickr account, a great themed Lustrian Ogre Army by Ben & Jen Carter.

Also two other armies. To keep in theme with the rest of your army I would swap some of the shields/bits for extra Lizardmen pieces, but it wouldn't be that hard to change the theme of the model.

Here are two more Lustrian ogre themed army links for you, a lot of great work done here:

From Warseer, done by Smiler

And from the Ogre Stronghold, done by Toad_Raider

Hope this helps!

6. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

Major conversion For The Win.

How big is the base that thing comes with?

7. Crowsfoot
    Slann

I know, the kit has lots of extra parts, would you build it as Stornhorn or a Thundertusk?

Bowser likes this.
  8. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

Captured beast: some ogres ventured too deep into lustria and got caught by a lizardmen army, unluckily enough having a skink priest who had never had a mount because no stegadon would accept him. Instead of sacrificing the beast (but obviously they did sacrify the ogres), the skink priest saw the thundertusk/stonehorns´s potential utility in battle and so decided to make it his own mount. Since then the thundertusk/stonehorn... (you continue this because I don´t want tho screw up your fluff ;)).

Hope that helps! And remember, ogres are full of nutrients needed for healthy growth of big reptiles!

Warden, Bracnos, Bowser and 1 other person like this.
  9. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

I think as the stone horn it would be easiest conversion to stegadon, Steg kit comes with an extra head, so you should be able to rig it to work with this body. But the problem is the fur.
    Now this I haven't thought the logistics yet, but bear with me. If you still have a troglodon head from the carnosaur kit, or a Carnosaur head from the troglodon kit you could use that head and a bit of green stuff, and have a new one. The fur tufts become seaweed for the Trog, you may have it emerging from water, a nice wet looking paintjob. Or vines and snakes on the carno as it is coming out of thick jungle.
    Just some thoughts.
    And this may be blasphemous but ogre bellies make pretty good slanns. So there's that.

Toltecatl, Warden and Crowsfoot like this.
  10. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

trap (1).png
    Smart man!

Toltecatl, Warden and Bracnos like this.
  11. Phoedinn
    Razordon

Phoedinn Well-Known Member

Hmm, if you use the troglodon head idea you could probably get the fur looking like some pretty nice feathers seeing how chunky they are. Something like this guy:

[​IMG]

Some colorful feather patterns would look great in a lustrian army :)

Bowser likes this.
  12. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

And why not just use it as a thundertusk/stonhead with the rules for ogres, just say it was a wrong egg search?? I don´t see the need to try to fit some weird heads (I don´t think this conversion would look good), I think rather stick some lizardmen totems and stuff and there you go. I have a friend who plays orks and got the thundertusk same way as you, except from his mum. He just stuck an ork head on the ogre and plays it with thundertusk rules in his ork army. He did the same with one of the empire´s canon and a mortar like some stolen equipment; and it´s great fun to play against.
    Well whatever you do with it will be good, it´s your mini after all ;)

Bracnos, Warden, n810 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Found some stonehorn/stegadon conversions for reference, from a WH40K Tau army done by Turbo_MMX at Advanced Tau Tactica:

Stonehorn Conversion 1.jpg

Stonehorn Conversion 2.jpg

Kinda works (minus the high-tech weaponry of course), but I think just making up some fluff for one of these things ending up in Lustria would be easier.

Bracnos, NIGHTBRINGER and Bowser like this.
  14. Bracnos
    Carnasaur

@Warden thanks for the awesome links gave me much to think about
    @pendrake it is 14.5 cm by 9.75 cm its big:eek:
    @Crowsfoot i cant decide Stornhorn or a Thundertusk?:banghead:
    @Jorgik wow thats motivating now i know im using this model :shamefullyembarrased:, of and i never thought to just use the rules for the beast and EoG thats good would this fly in many gaming groups you know of?
    @NIGHTBRINGER yes my friend that was lol

Warden, Bowser and Jorgik like this.
  15. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

Well I can´t tell (partly because I only know one gaming group :joyful:). Depends on the group of course. If it is a competitive group I guess they won't be totally ok with it as it is not part of your army book (and they will be on their right), but I´d take for granted that if the gaming group is more of a "let´s just have fun" group I´m sure they will be fine with it.

Bracnos and Bowser like this.
  16. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

I think most groups are happy to have new players, and as long as the conversion looks alright most don't mind people having fun with the models! Two separate groups were good with my heavily modified army, so this should be okay!

Warden and Bracnos like this.
  17. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Bracnos, Warden and Bowser like this.
  18. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

145mm x 97.5mm is a really oddball :confused: size, are you sure it isn't maybe 150x100?
    If converting it for Lizardmen I would put it on a smaller base, get it closer to one of the standard sizes, for what it will represent.

Are there different sets of giant tusks for each beast? It would be cool if a pair of the biggest tusks was mounted to form the frame of the Engyne of the Gods.

19. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Yes there are 2 pairs of tusks, if built as Storhorn which has the smaller tusks so it will give larger parts for converting.

Bowser likes this.
  20. Toltecatl
    Razordon

Toltecatl Well-Known Member

GG wife of Bracnos. man this is gonna be fun.

I'd personally go for the enthralles ogres option, or just replace the ogres with skinks i guess.
    Now for the engine of the gods, it might be worth trying sculpting sth i suppose… plastic card may come in handy if you wanna try and sculpt the huge diamond, and then cork for the base of it, GS for other details…
    Its quite a huge project though.

whatever you do, it should be great to follow it so make sure you showcase it :p