1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Needed

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Webb8, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Webb8
    Skink

Webb8 Member

Hi everyone. I ran into a problem while painting my salamander. Didnt like the wash with fuegan orange so I had this bright idea to use a dark wash. Well now my Sallie looks dark. Not sure if I should just roll with it and be happy. Give it the ole "Super Clean" bath and start fresh. Or if anyone has some tips on how to improve this little guy. I have not painted all the little fine detail bits yet (gold armour, eyes, etc...) because I don't know if I should put anymore time into him. Any help is greatly appreciated . Sorry for the horrible pic. Gonna have to upgrade from the camera on the phone soon 20160323_220609.jpg

2. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

That is a pretty decent basecoat plus a dark wash shading it. Carry on. Start building up some highlights. [... @Webb8 the specific advice and color choices offered by @Crowsfoot in the next post are exactly what I meant by "build up some highlights"]

Other things that you do will be good practice, so you shouldn't abandon this guy just yet.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
    Webb8 likes this.
  3. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

How about dry brushing him now with troll slayer orange and then a light drybrush with Flash gitz yellow the give him 3 or 4 glaze coats of casandra yellow.

Bowser and Webb8 like this.
  4. Phoedinn
    Razordon

Phoedinn Well-Known Member

Yeah just follow the advice above :) Don't get worried by a dark looking model after a base/dark wash, mine nearly always look like that before adding in the highlights. Highlights will really brighten the whole thing up.

Webb8 likes this.
  5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I agree with the posts above. Starting with a dark base is not a problem at all. You can always make it as light as you want using multiple layers of highlights.

Webb8 likes this.
  6. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Yep, time to do the drybrush/highlights.
    So break out your orange paints.

Ps. you might want a nice desk lamp too.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
    Webb8 likes this.
  7. Acrocanth
    Razordon

Acrocanth Well-Known Member

Totally workable :) all good suggestions above. Try some highlights before you think about starting over.

Webb8 likes this.