1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Historian1447's Desert Lizards

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Historian1447, May 1, 2012.

1. Historian1447
    Jungle Swarm

Historian1447 New Member

So just finished the first of my "Desert Lizards": the Saurus Warrior command. I decided to do a tan/brown desert theme, since I haven't seen that around much. A total of 20 different colors of Citadel paint were used, and a small layer of 'Ardcoat for the black/obsidian. Hope you all enjoy the result!

I'm posting WIP and finished pics

WarhammerLizardmen005.jpg

WarhammerLizardmen002.jpg

WarhammerLizardmen007.jpg

WarhammerLizardmen008.jpg

WarhammerLizardmen004.jpg

WarhammerLizardmen014.jpg

WarhammerLizardmen021.jpg

WarhammerLizardmen020.jpg

WarhammerLizardmen019.jpg

WarhammerLizardmen015.jpg

WarhammerLizardmen018.jpg

WarhammerLizardmen016.jpg

I am extremely pleased with the results, and I can't wait to get more painted!

2. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

Good work. I like the in progress pictures.

3. elmoheadbutt
    Cold One

elmoheadbutt New Member

Wow your way of painting the parts before gluing them really is different. May I ask why you don't glue them before painting?

4. Historian1447
    Jungle Swarm

Historian1447 New Member

Thanks, Arli!

I tried the "glue then paint" style with my previous minis (not lizardmen), and the quality of coverage wasn't up to my liking. There were little places where I couldn't get the brush to paint easily. So I figured if I painted all the pieces individually, then I could get the quality and coverage I was looking for! It does take a lot longer to paint this way, especially because I'm somewhat of a perfectionist, but I think the minis come out looking much better for me!

5. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

FavoredoftheOldOnes Member

I am definitely an advocate of painting the model in different parts. Just like you I keep the shield and head off separately before attaching them to the model. Anyway, I really like your color scheme. The model came out very nice and the blue shield contrasts well with the model :)

6. Historian1447
    Jungle Swarm

Historian1447 New Member

Thanks so much!

7. elmoheadbutt
    Cold One

elmoheadbutt New Member

I only keep the shield apart. What is your painting process?

Should I take the shields out of the spruces and then paint them?
    Or should I paint them while they're attached?
    Will the normal plastic glue still work once I apply the paint over the plastic or is PVA the better choice of glue in this case?

8. Historian1447
    Jungle Swarm

Historian1447 New Member

For this model, I cut the pieces out of the spruce, and painted them by holding on to them very delicately haha. I have a magnifying lamp, so that makes it easier to see the detail. I've seen some examples of painting pieces while they are still on the spruce which probably makes them easier to hold, but I don't get as good of a coverage that way. But that's just me.

As far as glue goes, the glue that I have is plastic model glue from my local arts & crafts store. PVA glue is just regular white glue, the kind you used for art projects in grade school. So I would recommend plastic glue. And it is probably best to leave a little plastic showing where the pieces will be joined together, otherwise you will be gluing paint to paint, instead of plastic to plastic, and that increases the chance of them coming apart stlightly.

9. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

How do you deal with gaps you need to green stuff? Touch up painting?

10. Historian1447
    Jungle Swarm

Historian1447 New Member

As far as green stuff goes, I don't use it. I'm not that obsessed with having my lizardmen look absolutely seamless and perfect. I think they look fantastic how they are, and that's exactly what I was expecting. So I am very happy with the outcome.

For touch ups, I might have a little more difficulty than some painters, but I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it haha.