1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hmmph

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by ilnar, Jun 17, 2009.

1. ilnar
    Skink

ilnar New Member

i hate painting :p
    so if im going to get these finished im going to have get something down on paper,
    so my wip lizzards
    skinks008.jpg
    skinks012.jpg
    skinks011.jpg
    skinks014.jpg
    skinks010.jpg

nothings finished, especially the nmm, but its getting there

2. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Hmm ok I would hate to drill you, especially when you say none of them are finished, so I won't. I will say the gold is looking really cool so far, admirable to attempt NMM. Without knowing what else you are planning I won't really say too much else. Definitely make sure you pick out all the scales with the scale colour, in the first one you have left some scales on the arm and face and it looks pretty light even on the back. You really need several thin coats of paint for scales, often involving some wash or ink.

But hey, it is a good start, and I certainly know the feeling when you cannot find the motivation to paint and find it more annoying than anything. :p I hate painting units up, I have started with my characters.

3. ilnar
    Skink

ilnar New Member

mmm feel free to drill :p
    always usefull to get another pair of eyes.
    none of the scales are past the second layer of paint. so the currently painted bits are the highest highlights, if that makes sence. but yes :) s a good start i thinks

logses way to go :(
    and why is it that you never notice mould lines untill after the second layer?

4. Celticfire
    Chameleon Skink

Celticfire New Member

Murphy's law

5. strewart
    OldBlood

You're painting the highest highlight first? Interesting. Most people tend to go from dark to light, with the highest highlight going on last.

Mold lines do have a nasty habit of not completely dissapearing, definitely best to scour the models under a bright light before assembling them. And have some reference pictures if not of your grey model then other people's painted models on standby, when you undercoat black the natural shadows become the same colour as the whole model so it is extremely hard to notice detail and especially mold lines. I always find the first base coat is the hardest, and tend to miss areas that needed paint.

6. ilnar
    Skink

ilnar New Member

highlight first, then several translucent layers of the scale colour, you end up with a far subtler blend on the highlights as opposed to the whatsit... extreme highlights GW favour, also its a damn site easier than wet blending if your doing more than one model

7. strewart
    OldBlood

Hmm sounds interesting, I'm not sure how you are going to get a progressive blend from dark to light using translucent colours. It sounds a bit like putting down a bright colour then applying ink or wash to darken and add depth. I will be keen to see how it comes out when you have a model finished though. ;)

And yeah it would be a hell of a lot easier than wet blending.