1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How I converted my Skinks into Chameleon Skinks

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Dancing with Saurus, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Dancing with Saurus
    Skink

Dancing with Saurus New Member

Hello!
    Firstly, I don't profess to be a very good user of green stuff and there are clearly some amazingly talented sculptors who visit this site all of whom I'm convinced could do a better job than I've done here. My rationale for writing this post was that while a lot of GW products are pretty expensive Chameleon Skinks seem outrageously priced when a) you can get 24 normal Skinks for £20 b) they aren't huge models or a particularly powerful unit and c) the models just aren't that good.

With that in mind and inspired by the following thread …

http://www.lustria-online.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2511&start=20

I decided to give converting my normal Skinks into Chameleons!
    These 6 Skink took less than 2.5 hour to convert and once painted should look fairly decent.

Step 1 - Mutilate those Skinks:
    Select your victims and cut their tails off at about the 2/3 mark and remove the crests. To remove the crests I just crudely chopped them off with clippers and then used a modelling knife to shave the remains off the head - trying not to cut my fingers.

20130303_214246_zps24307ec1.jpg

Step 2 - I rolled a small piece of green stuff into a long sausage shape. The greenstuff in the photo is all of what I used (I even had a little bit left over to make some little snakes for base decoration). The sausage is roughly skink tail in thinkness.

20130303_214630_zps01596825.jpg

Step 3 – Cut a piece off the ‘greenstuff sausage’ to use for the tail. The photo showed how little I used.

20130303_214803_zps5fcd44e1.jpg

Step 4 – I took my piece of greenstuff and rolled it between my forefinger and a hard (non sticky) surface placing additional pressure on one end to create a tail/cone shape.

Step 5 – I attached my ‘new tail’ to the skink. I found the greenstuff sticky enough that glue wasn’t required.

20130303_215021_zps0e79a74a.jpg

Step 6 – Roll the tail up on itself to create the ‘trademark’ chameleon tail. You can make the tail densely curled or looser. I chose a mix of both. At this point it’s probably worth stopping and letting the greenstuff set. I didn’t stop but as I moved onto the eyes I found I kept squashing the tail accidentally.

20130303_215157_zpsb0be2383.jpg

20130303_215817_zps9dd3d727.jpg

Step 7 - The following picture shows how little greenstuff is required for the eyes. I would actually cut this ball in half to create to new eyes for one skink. I just pressed each hemisphere over the existing eyes.

20130303_221324_zpscd21bc64.jpg

20130303_221507_zps5675c90a.jpg

Step - Using a pencil I poked a pupil into each new eye. If you wanted some texture you could probably us the end of a cocktail stick to make some dots are the eye.

Step 9 – The one cool thing about the GW models is the dead frogs that adorn them. My attempts at the frogs where half-hearted failures so I decided to create a hat of sorts from the greenstuff. I rolled flat the remaining greenstuff and cut out a diamond shape. I would place this on the head of the skink and position it how I liked. Sometimes I turned up the ‘earflaps’ and sometimes I stretched out the back the diamond to cover the neck. I used a modeling knife to add some leaf-like texture.

20130303_225526_zps4fe99290.jpg

Step 10 – Add the arms, blowpipes and hand-weapons.

20130303_232931_zps96b2c79d.jpg

Step 11 – Paint.

I hope someone finds this useful. If anything I hope it shows how simple it is to make some passable chameleons out of greenstuff. Lets face it for the £30 pounds you could spend on 6 GW chameleons you could spend on 24 skinks and a pack of greenstuff.

Good luck,

DWS

2. Dancing with Saurus
    Skink

One of my Chameleon Skinks has a feather in it's cap. In showing that figure to my girlfriend she exclaimed 'Why has it got a feather?! Is it a showgirl?'. So forever this skink will be known as Lola ... Lola the Showgirl Skink.

c14043a6-548c-48c2-aafc-e8b142260698_zps0e253fc8.jpg

Only my second skink to have a name. The other being 'beetroot head' on account of his face being painted the colour of a beetroot - very original.

3. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

Good stuff!

This is easily one of the best conversions to do. It is way more economical to do chameleons like this than to buy the metal ones (or finecast).

Great work and great post.

4. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

Excellent effort! Pretty much the same thing I did with my first batch of Chameleon conversions.

5. Rettile
    Ripperdactil

Rettile Active Member

very nice, I'll do the same

6. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Caprasauridae Well-Known Member

Thanks for the very nice tutorial! Also, give my love to Lola...

7. Dancing with Saurus
    Skink

I hope you're serious Caprasauridae because Lola doesn't like a tease! :D

8. newscales
    Kroxigor

newscales New Member

well done!

9. Deathfrisbee2000
    Kroxigor

Deathfrisbee2000 New Member

Love the guy carrying the blowgun with his tail.

I may have to try something like this soon. My GS skills are rusty, but this seems nice and simple.

--DF2K

10. newscales
    Kroxigor

newscales New Member

is there a green stuff guide out there? where do you get it? I think it'd be fun to really customize some models

11. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

There may be a guide or two on our forum. Where to get it varies. You can purchase it in many of the same places that you get miniatures. I order mine from a company that makes it in Pennsylvania. I get a 35 inch roll of it for just around $20 bucks after shipping. Generally, that will last me about 4-6 months for the little odds and ends that need it for.

12. newscales
    Kroxigor

newscales New Member

does it work like play-doh? drying out problems? set by baking? Maybe I need to google it up some.

13. Dancing with Saurus
    Skink

Green stuff is a bit like play-doh/clay in consistency although i'd say it's not quite as malleable as the former. It comes in too strips one yellow and blue both of which when separate stay semi-solid/softish. You mix equal parts yellow and blue turning the combined piece green. Once it's green it will start to set into a solid structure but this over hours rather than minutes i'd say in the mean time you can sculpt with it (or roll it in your fingers which is mostly what i did). I've only used it in small quantities but overnight or a day seems to be enough time for it to set. It also seems easier to work with in a warm room.

There will be people on here with much more experience of using it then I have. I would say it's pretty easy to use but very difficult to master. I suppose mastery means your sculpting your own models which of course some people on this forum seem to do.

I hope that helps!

14. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

The consistency of greenstuff is far more like chewing gum than playdough. And that includes it being sticky. Lubricate your tools with petroleum jelly or spit.

15. Dancing with Saurus
    Skink

That's a much better description!