1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How would you model and Oldblood on a Flying Carpet?

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Scalenex, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

I'm going conversion crazy with my VC and to a lesser extant my Empire models. I have yet to do a major LM conversion project yet, and this seems like a good one.

My first thought is, "It does not have to be a carpet." The First Children of the Old Bloods don't use carpets or rugs as far as I can tell, so their magic item would likely take another form.

The problem is I haven't thought of a good carpet alternative. My first ideas are almost laughably stupid.

Winged shoes like Hermes? The First don't wear shoes
    Mini-Palanquin? Saurus wouldn't fight sitting down
    Jet pack? This is fantasy, not sci-fi.

If anyone has any good ideas let me know.

2. GnomeRage
    Skink

GnomeRage New Member

Some form of palanquin, much like what the Slann rides on would be a good lizardmen alternative

3. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

You could get the howda platform from the plastic steg kit.
    (forget about the railings, And cut the bits off the sides)

I think it would look prety decent.

lizardmen_stegadon_howdah_large.jpg

4. StealthKnightSteg
    Razordon

StealthKnightSteg Well-Known Member

a few stacked palm leaves with a magical coloured aura (to make it a bit more obvious that they aren't normal palm leaves)

5. Hojdar
    Cold One

Hojdar Active Member

The steg idea sounds pretty good.

Maybe some sort of feathered cermonial garb, cape, headdress or similar accessory? They could represent feathers imbued with magic that gives the wearer the ability to fly.Dunno if that is even doable though without a huge amount of greenstuffed modelling, but it could be cool. There are some pretty sweet pics of aztecs wearing feathered stuff if you google it.

EDIT: Just thought of another idea. What about putting some actual draconian-ish wings on him? Maybe his spawning was blessed by the gods and the oldblood grew magical wings as a result.

6. GCPD
    Bastiladon

GCPD Active Member

I spent several months considering this, and even raised the question on this board.

The problem is that you only have a 25mm base to work with. You can make him taller (Tall enough to be rising above any rank and file), but then he becomes unsteady (and I really don't like extremely tall models on thin stands and small bases). Not only are there a lack of Aztec-style gubbins in the Warhammer range (those Elves have it so easy...), but in wargaming in general. In short, its really hard to find some funky arcane eldritch device that doesn't look like it belongs to one of the other armies.

Right before I changed my list and dropped the model, I did finally seem to be making some progress. This:

luminark.jpg

Check out those boss lenses. I reckon any one of them would serve as a great circular palanquin born aloft by some ancient techology the understanding of which is now lost. Better still, they come in several sizes so you can be pretty sure at least one would fit on a 25mm.

And the great news is that everyone uses the kit to make a Hurricanum anyway, so the Luminark bits should be pretty easy to come by.

7. Scalenex
    Slann

All your ideas are excellent thank you!

I think I am going with the Luminark lenses. I happen to be an Empire player too and I don't have anything better to do with the Luminark bits because the Hurricanum is so much better.

The Howdah platform is tempting as well. I need to play around with this and see what looks best.

8. NexS1
    Carnasaur

NexS1 Well-Known Member

You could go for something like the tseench flying disc

9. reptile3607
    Skink

reptile3607 New Member

I like the disk. You could put some Aztec-y Spikes on the back, and it'd look cool.
    That being said... I like the jetpack idea Best. :meh:

10. Kblock
    Kroxigor

Kblock Active Member

The disk idea is a good one. My favorite is some kind of leaves woven together, or just one big leaf. Seeing as the Lizardmen live in a primordial jungle, and that there are dinosaurs, I would guess that there are some plants with very large leaves and foliage.

11. Ondjage
    Razordon

Ondjage Member

HP18.jpg

NexS1 likes this.
  12. D4EMON
    Skink

D4EMON New Member

You could also try a piece of stone like slate or a tile with aztec carvings on it

13. Carados
    Skink

Carados New Member

I've used a fossilized claw from some toy dinosaur/insect fighter pack for my Tetto'eko "conversion". It shouldn't be too hard to stick an Oldblood on there instead. It looks like the claw is holding Tetto'eko so that he doesn't fall off :)

14. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I like the idea of a flying disk-like palanquin. I may try to make one from scratch one day, though I might poach an odd bit from here or there.

15. Iskander
    Chameleon Skink

Iskander Active Member

Two words: Exodus Engines.

But srsly, you're right, jet packs wouldn't fit with the lizardmen (Skaven, yes, Lizardmen, no). Anyway, I really like the Dragon Wings post on the other thread: http://lustria-online.com/threads/flying-saurus-of-doom.12465/page-4#post-124766

Store link (just for illustration): http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Dragon-Wings

Or maybe Bretonnian Pegasus wings: http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Bretonnian-Pegasus-Wings

Perhaps the wings from the new Eldar Autarch look too: http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Eldar-Autarch

I think I would aim (if I had the parts and/or tons of money) for the body of the Kroq-Gar model from the Carnosaur kit, with the Eldar Autarch Wings and the biggest, baddest weapon I could find.

16. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

Pinktaco, NIGHTBRINGER and Scalenex like this.
  17. Scalenex
    Slann

@pendrake. Somehow clicking "like" once is not adequate for what you have given me...

18. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

Slanputin Well-Known Member

I had a similar idea. Some type of circular stone dias which carried the Oldblood into battle.

19. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

There you go, I gave him an additional like on your behalf. (maybe @Scolenex will do the same ;))

20. Scalenex
    Slann

Nah, he'd never back me up. He keeps snubbing me, logging off every time I log on. N810 once called me the liker of everything. Maybe once or twice on panda related posts.

n810 and NIGHTBRINGER like this.