1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Contest Jan-Feb 2016 Contest: Everyone's a winner but one of you won the most

Discussion in 'Fluff and Stories' started by Scalenex, Mar 3, 2016.

1. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

spawning of Bob Well-Known Member

Oh, the inevitable storm of modesty. Get over it guys, we are pretty darn good fictional androgynous anthropomorphic bipedal lizard authors. Not many other sites could claim that.

2. Hyperborean
    Ripperdactil

Hyperborean Well-Known Member

You speak the truth. I haven't had to stop reading a story from second hand embarrassment once. Meaning we are all indeed pretty great.

3. Y'ttar Scaletail
    Troglodon

Y'ttar Scaletail Well-Known Member

Well, I could claim there's a collection of bloomin' good fictional anthropomorphic bipedal rat authors around my tunnels...but there's not a whole lot really around anymore. *Mutters something about everyone being more Gaming and Painting Tunnel orientated and more mutterings about the good old days*

So I find the number of avid writers on LO very impressive, not to mention just how great they are at creating life with but a few flicks of their pens. I don't think there's been a single story competition where I wasn't impressed by the calibre of writing, and this competition was one of the better ones of those. So hold your heads up you disgusting lizard-things all you writers, you're doing great!

4. Essmir
    Chameleon Skink

Essmir Well-Known Member

Well I arive back to lustria agien, a litle bit late as usual. And what do I see?!?! Me? Me! placing third in a wrighting competition? Scalanex something must be wrong I did't even have time to wright properly whit my art exebition coming up thiss were something I smashed thogeter on my phone in three days? It must be some kind of...
    Wrong?
    I must look to the aincent plaques and meditate...

//Essmir

P.s. Bob I literarly laguth out loud when I got you're guess and remebered the conversation

5. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

No, sorry Essmir, that would be the author reveal list in random order. But if it makes you feel like a winner, you can interpret it however you want.

How was the exhibition? (start a thread)

Paradoxical Pacifism and Essmir like this.
  6. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

While our plastic toys may be arch enemies, but I consider U-E and L-O to be sister-websites.

A lot of people say L-O is the friendliest WHF army site online. We keep things civil and are nice to newbies. I visited about every WHF army site a few times. Apart from Lustria-Online I never found a more friendly and inviting army site than Under-Empire. Also even with the U-E fluff forum a little low on traffic lately, your fluff forum beats the pants out of most other army's fluff forum. It was stealing your short story contest format that led to the current L-O fluff renaissance. When I (eventually) finish my first lengthy non-Lizardmen piece, I'll probably post on U-E and L-O. In fact it will even have some Skaven in it, despite having no lizards.

7. Y'ttar Scaletail
    Troglodon

Y'ttar Scaletail Well-Known Member

Aww, cheers! You lizards are a lovely lot yourselves (though I can't shake the feeling there's more than one in the back licking their scaly lips whilst a boiling pot rests nearby... :p )

I'm still chuffed that you fluff mods liked the rough UE system that I stole/modified off of Silas who stole/modified it off of Demagorgon (who probably stole it from someone else...) In any case, it's great that the frame is being repurposed. You're also more than welcome to post up any fluff on the UE.

In related news, turns out I might have the most posted fluff of all the UE writers of the past (will need to properly check), i'd put a linky to my collection for any would-be turncoats in my sig...but it seems to count as spam for some reason. You lot are good. XD

8. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

The guardians never sleep.

9. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Funny enough I was considering putting Rat Poison up on UE and another story I am working on that would work both here and there.

Paradoxical Pacifism likes this.
  10. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

Do it Bowser. I have posted some other only slightly ratty randomness over there and got a good reception. Do you want @n810 to put mouse ears on your avatar so they don't suspect?

Paradoxical Pacifism and Bowser like this.
  11. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

I think the mouse ears would be the perfect disguise. Nobody suspects the large scaled rat with a Skaven heart on his hand.

12. Xholankha the lost one
    Chameleon Skink

Xholankha the lost one Well-Known Member

I have question?
    Pls help

13. Essmir
    Chameleon Skink

Essmir Well-Known Member

Ha I know it!

And I don't know no body have seen it yet it it opens on monday.. And ye I will start a tread in the tempel of Artzafartzi :D

//Essmir

14. Xholankha the lost one
    Chameleon Skink

Xholankha the lost one Well-Known Member

thanks to everyone who participated all great reads and well done slanputin for the excellent story 'loom at the thresh hold' i take my scaly hat of to you ( well since im trying to be an old one what would their hat be made of......nevermind)
    favourite was probably sun turns the gears of war

most impressive title- 'sun turns the gears of war'
    most enthralling story- 'loom at the threshold
    most amusing story- 'the monument'
    golden razzie story- 'changing times'

now lets see what ive got cooking in my twisted mind for the next story.

15. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

Don't wait for a comp because YOLO, Xholo.

I am an impatient and demanding lizard.

Gimme an "m"

M!

Gimme an "o"

O!

Gimme an "r"

R!

What does it almost spell?

"MORDHEIM!"

Oops, sorry. That was that other guy :(

16. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Definitely looking forward to the next contest! These last two have been incredibly good with amazing stories all around.

17. thedarkfourth
    Kroxigor

thedarkfourth Well-Known Member

Dare I enquire whether there's an appetite for more than 4 per year??

Or whether there might be interest perhaps in a non-voting comp, maybe more of a monthly/quarterly L-O anthology, that could still have a theme but maybe less competitive, that would be run more frequently, or at least in the off-months, probably with fewer entrants, each one curated by a different member? (obviously complementing not replacing the main comps) I'm just spitballing.

Paradoxical Pacifism and Bowser like this.
  18. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

I love the enthusiasm but I don't want to kill the goose that laid the golden egg or overdraw from the well or insert additional metaphor here. Maybe I'm paranoid, U-E had a thriving fluff forum invigorated by it's seasonal writing contests then it mostly petered out.

I log on to L-O every day and I can't do everything I want to. Not a week has gone by when we haven't had a new story or juicy discussion. I can barely keep up reading all the new pieces. I'm behind on keeping up with the painting forum. I have to wait for a AoS to PM me to add something to the Age of Sigmar Tactica Index. There's a painting/converting contest coming up soon. I still need to finish my entry for Bob's art contest. I have two work in progress fiction pieces I don't plan to enter in competitions, I just plan to post them.

We have a lot going on L-O, I don't think we need more writing contests.

Oh yeah, I also have a full time job and need to do adult things like pay my bills, upkeep my living area, exercise, and more.

For more collaborative informal things. Maybe you (or anyone else) can post something like "I'd like to see _________." and see what people contribute. Not that you have to explicitly ask for stuff. Few fiction pieces go long without constructive criticism, praise, and/or suggestions for alternative directions a plot or setting can go. Our latest discussions have been meaty. Complacency is bad, given that it precludes every disaster that happens to Lustria in GW fiction, but I am pretty content to way things are..

19. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

additional metaphor - "We shouldn't expect sacred spawnings every other lunar cycle."

I do love them, but the comps are major procrastination fuel for me - so many projects on the back burner all through 2015. For me anyway, I should do less comps not more, so I can do more general writing and cartooning. I was planning not to enter the last one, but then I had an idea :mad:

20. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

Four times a year is probably good. Where/How is the next theme coming along?