1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Janf's Painting Blog

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Janf, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

Great work! I am not a fan of the salamander sculpt but you make a very nice model of it!

Janf likes this.
  2. Janf
    Chameleon Skink

Janf Well-Known Member

Jorgik likes this.
  3. Janf
    Chameleon Skink

Janf Well-Known Member

For this weeks reveal I decided to show off my few 5th edition models.
    I have 2 Tichi-Huchi Riders, a skink hero, a regular saurus and a regular skink.
    I originally had a whole army of 5th edition models that I bought incredibly cheap on ebay when I was around 12, but I sold almost all the models again to be able to afford the back then current edition models. It's a decision I kind of regret now since I now think the 5th edition models are awesome but oh well :) These 5 minis are the survivors. I kept them because it was my best painted models. I fixed some mistakes on the skink hero and made a base for him yesterday as a little fun side project to complete him (he had no base before).
    DSC_0333.JPG
    DSC_0343.JPG
    DSC_0344.JPG

Crowsfoot, Warden, n810 and 5 others like this.
  4. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

Really nice! I especially love the skink hero/champion!

5. Janf
    Chameleon Skink

Janf Well-Known Member

6. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

They look great! But why is one rider green and the other red? :p

7. Janf
    Chameleon Skink

Janf Well-Known Member

@Jorgik, the red one is the champion I guess ;) They are painted a loong time ago when I didn't really had a paint scheme to follow :)

Jorgik likes this.
  8. Janf
    Chameleon Skink

Janf Well-Known Member

COLD ONE PROJECT (CONTINUED)

So now that I've painted my Sallies it's time to get back to my riderless horses... I mean dinosaurs! I started priming all six blue and started painting the upper bodies and heads! It may be difficult to see in the picture (I have bad lighting especially when it's dark outside...) but I have tried out some different blues and shades as I'm still trying to find the paint scheme I will be the most happy with. I'm a little torn between shades. I like Coelia Greenshade for their skin but when it comes to the scales I don't know. I have an older Asurman Blue wash which I find works nicely. I have very little left though so I bought the newer equivalent Drakenhoff Nightshade. I found that it comes out darker and more grey-blue than my Asurman Blue and I'm not sure I like the finish it leaves... I might change my mind though. What shades do you guys use for (blue) scales? Don't hold back – I would love to hear your methods!
    DSC_0283.JPG

Also I thought I'd upload a picture of one of my old cold ones (before my break from the hobby) just for fun. This was before I knew about layer painting/drybrushing/shading and all these “techniques”. He is kind of a memory of my old painting days. It was one of my better models back when I painted him, but now after acquiring experience and better knowlegde of the painting system I can really see that my painting skills have improved from back then. It is very motivating for me to think about as it makes me keep wanting to get better. You can actually see that I've tried to make a shadow effect on the shield by painting black in the recesses ;)
    DSC_0249.JPG

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
    Warden, Jorgik, Bowser and 3 others like this.
  9. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Always good to look back at old models, just shows you how much you have improved, saying that I looked at my old dwarfs and I painted stripes on his pants and shaded and highlighted each section, would struggle with that these days!

Bowser and Janf like this.
  10. Janf
    Chameleon Skink

Janf Well-Known Member

I'm having a little trouble deciding how I want to do scales. I use either Regal blue, fenris grey or enchanted blue as base color. Then I shade with asurman blue or drakenhof nightshade. I then either drybrush with a light blue/light grey or I paint lines along each scale (if it's a hero I'm painting).
    Sometimes I shade the highlights I just made if they look too bright. I pretty much experiment with these colors, but I have yet to find the "right" way for me...

If anybody has time, I'd love to hear what colors and techniques you use when making scales on your own lizards! :)

Bowser likes this.
  11. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Rank and file, base, wash, drybrush.
    Heros or specials, base, wash, base leaving the recess, layer one, layer two, highlight, spot highlight.

Bowser and Janf like this.
  12. Janf
    Chameleon Skink

Janf Well-Known Member

13. Janf
    Chameleon Skink

Janf Well-Known Member

A small update:
    I'm working on my entry for the Golden Serpent competition! I'm not sure at all that I can finish it in time however (I started too late). I really hope I can make it though as I would love to join! So in this month I will probably not work on my other projects.
    I will not be completely silent though - here are some pictures of my three Kroxigors! They are also painted a long time ago. I know the new models are better looking, but I still like these guys. I got all three of them on my birthday and I remember thinking that they were sooo badass when I painted them, so they kind of hold a special place in my heart :D
    I've tried to fit the Kroxigors into the red crested theme by painting their tiny "fins" at the side of their heads red. I always liked the idea of Skinks and Kroxigors working together in the field so I had to upload a group shot featuring the skinks aswell ;)
    DSC_0353.JPG
    DSC_0357.JPG
    DSC_0362.JPG

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
    Seraphage, Jorgik, Crowsfoot and 5 others like this.
  14. Janf
    Chameleon Skink

Janf Well-Known Member

Greetings Lustria! Today I bring you a different type of update! I've always loved the pictures of the lizardmen in their armybooks (I own 5th, 6th and 7th edition - before they were colored) and in my younger days I pretty much used the army books as coloring books. I then cut out a picture when I had colored it and I just found a stack of those pictures today. It's not connected to painting tabletop figures, but it's still Lizards so I thought I'd share them with you just for fun :)
    DSC_0339.JPG DSC_0341.JPG
    DSC_0340.JPG
    DSC_0345.JPG
    DSC_0348.JPG
    DSC_0352.JPG DSC_0351.JPG
    DSC_0355.JPG
    DSC_0356.JPG

one with a bit of gore ;)
    DSC_0349.JPG

15. Janf
    Chameleon Skink

Janf Well-Known Member

And two I never finished.
    Let me know if you like them :)
    DSC_0343.JPG DSC_0360.JPG

Warden, Jorgik, NIGHTBRINGER and 4 others like this.
  16. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

That skink looks familiar.....

Jorgik and Janf like this.
  17. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Incredible job on these! Got the colours down brilliantly! Absolutely gorgeous

Janf likes this.
  18. Janf
    Chameleon Skink

Janf Well-Known Member

Thanks you @Bowser! Finding these actually make me want to color some more anew :)

Bowser likes this.
  19. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

You absolutely should!

Janf likes this.
  20. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Very nice job, they all look really good!

Janf likes this.