1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jurassic World

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Krox_v.2, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Krox_v.2
    Razordon

Krox_v.2 Well-Known Member

Who here is going to see this? I'm going Friday with a friend to see it and if I like it, again on Saturday with my brother. What's everyone's general opinion regarding Jurassic World? I've been looking forward to it myself.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
    n810 and Qupakoco like this.
  2. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I have a feeling it is going to be really bad... but I'm still can't resist going out to watch it.

3. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

I'm gonna watch it. Nothing is ever as good as the original, but that's ok. It'll be entertaining to watch Emmet from The Lego Movie talk to velociraptors.

4. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

ASSASSIN_NR_1 Well-Known Member

I am going to watch it at some point after my exam.

And as with Lizardmen: Dinosaurs! Do I need to elaborate?

5. Hyperborean
    Ripperdactil

Hyperborean Well-Known Member

Nothing will ever beat the original but damn this movie has been in development hell for so long I will be damned if I don't see this thing.

6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I've just come back from watching it. There are a few obvious things that don't make much logical sense, but it wasn't too bad for what it is. I'd say it is worth the price of admission.

7. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

I have a feeling it is going to be really bad and I plan to resist going out to watch it.

A park full of dinosaurs, oh no the dinosaurs escaped and are eating people! But this time we have friendly well-trained raptors helping out and a fictional genetically engineered dinosaur.

So basically 75% rehashing the old Jurassic Park plot, 23% hackneyed lowest common denominator twists, 2% thinly veiled allegories to Sea World's controversies.

If people tell me it's watchable, I'll wait till it comes to my local playback theater (where they play "new" movies from 4-6 months ago at a steep discount).

I am really getting sick of disappointing remakes. If someone makes a remake it better be a remake of something crappy into something decent (Judge Dredd, Batman). Remaking something that was great originally nearly always disappoints (Robocop, Aliens and Predator, Superman--forget Superman, that was crap remade into crap).

8. Krox_v.2
    Razordon

Krox_v.2 Well-Known Member

Honestly, I loved it. But then again, my bar was set at "be better than Lost World and especially Jurassic Park 3". Also, it's essentially a straight action movie, not sci-fi film like the first was. But still a fun movie.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
    twistedmagpie likes this.
  9. Iskander
    Chameleon Skink

Iskander Active Member

That was a wild ride of a movie. However I was visited by several (mildly hyperbolic) thoughts during the movie:

1) Why the ---- can't our Cold Ones do that??? (more specifically: do anything useful, let alone that badass)

2) Why don't we just have packs of riderless Cold Ones that run around the filed terrorizing the other side? (is that what Rippers are supposed to be like? can we have Cold One packs that are that frightening, and maybe don't fly and cost less?)

3) Why the ---- can't our Carnosaurs do that??? (more specifically: beat enemy armour reliably, and ignore bullets)

4) Why the ---- don't we have a Mososaurus? There are rules for aquatic monsters already. Gimmie!

5) I... now understand how my Bastiladon gets beaten...

6) If tasers can (in theory) stop dinosaurs, and our people are constantly surrounded by dinosaurs and caches of ancient technology, why doesn't our infantry carry tasers?

...anyway, I realize there are perfectly good fluff-related answers to all of these. However, now that the fluff seems to be turning inside-out, with limitless potential, my pie-in-the-sky wishlist includes 1) competent Cold Ones and carnosaurs, 2) tasers and 3) mososaurs.

Slanputin likes this.
  10. The Sauric Ace
    Salamander

The Sauric Ace Well-Known Member

Well .....http://www.lustria-online.com/threads/feathered-jumpy-creatures.16166/ :) (Yeah I know house rule and made up and such...)

I just went watching it, and I had a great time. No it's not a thoughtful movie, you know what neither is an especially thoughtful? Avengers, Star Wars and Die Hard... yeah see what I did there ;) (This has nothing to do with me trying to say it's as good or near those films, just want to point out that a movie can be enjoyable and not be especially deep or thoughtful)

It's really just a rollercoaster (saw the expression somewhere and I have to agree) the main part it, first being introduced to this huge new park, let Chris Pratt have a few jokes. Then introduce this giant new Carnoss..Erhm... I mean indominous Rex, of course. (But seriously this is how I imagine the carnosaur would be like in real life ;) ). The raptor hunt it cool... they even mannish to get a Very important part of the book in there: These creatures aren't and has never been actual dinosaurs, they are all genetically engineered, to some extinct. Why they don't have feathers, why mosasaurus is twice the size, why dinosaurs can survive in an oxygen level only 2/3 of their original.

In summary: I liked it :D

Krox_v.2 likes this.
  11. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Caprasauridae Well-Known Member

I was pleasantly surprised. My expectations were reeeally low. It was a pretty typical summer blockbuster, but at least they tried to explain that most seemed to defy logic in the trailers. Like the velociraptors, it was pretty believably explained how they were on the humans' side. I thought it was entertaining and exciting, and just the right amount dumb.

Iskander likes this.
  12. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

Slanputin Well-Known Member

I definitely think a Mosasaur/Liopleurodon dual-kit should be released ASAP :D

I saw it last night. I have some gripes but overall I really enjoyed it. Whilst I'd say you were accurate in your presumption, in terms of enjoy-ability I'd rate it in possibly the second best in the series/possibly on par with Lost World (which I happen to have really enjoyed, including the San Diego ridiculousness), behind the original.

Where it falls short is atmosphere and intrigue, although that's something to be expected when the audience now really know what to expect. I can't say it is too cosmetic either, whilst it's certainly more focused on action set-pieces than the more humanist side of the original it does give a generous amount of time to secondary characters, so the world feels more fleshed out than I anticipated. Atmosphere-wise it does a fairly good job of conveying the excitement you'd expect from such a theme park (the Mosasaur pen was great), however whilst violent it didn't have the same level of threat as the original, or even Lost World* in places - i'm talking about the film as a whole: I thought the Indominus Rex was built up quite well. I think this is due to how the movie gives so much attention to action it didn't let any atmosphere of threat to mature in the background. That being said, some of the dino-rampage set-pieces were appreciably horrible (I'm looking at you, person-dunking Pteranodon).

Story-wise is went as expected, but it built upon current themes rather nicely - linking the new genetic hybrid back to how the inclusion of frog DNA in the original led to problems of breeding and thus nailing it down in the mythos as a whole. Also, I like how it used the Indominus Rex was more of a "big bad". Sure, previous films did have a big carnivore to run from (T Rex/ Spinosaurus), but they gave the I Rex enough character and focus in the story to make it more into a villain which helped to increase its scare factor (albeit a sympathetic villain, as it's actions are the result of human meddling/isolationist rearing).

What annoyed me increasingly throughout the film was its numerous and explicit call-backs to the original film. I expected some pandering to nostalgia and, whilst I liked the more integrated call-backs (Mr. DNA, the tribute to John Hammond/Richard Attenborough, the parallels between the sick triceratops in the original and the dying Apatosaurus, for example,), some of the more blatant ones just felt like the film was shaking me by the shoulders and saying "We know fan service! Remember how good the original film was? We're just as good as that one!". I'm talking about the kids finding the ruins of the old park, playing with the night-vision goggles, the awkward conversation between Claire and the techy operator who clearly represented nostalgic fans,...etc.).

Also annoying was the huge level of product placement. Granted some of it was integrated into the universe, but gratuitous shots of the BMW logo, Coca Cola etc. just brought me out of the film.

Anyway, small complaints overall. I really did enjoy the film. It made me wish it would also shake GW by the shoulders and make them realise dinosaurs are still cool and thus LM still deserve to be relevant in 9th.

*I'm ignoring "3" because, meh. A horrible waste of a Spinosaurus.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
    NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  13. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Yerch, that's becoming an increasingly problem in all movies. I don't think there is a non-hamfisted way to do product placement, and every time I see it I want to not buy the product out of sheer principle. I can't be the only one. I keep thinking surely a marketing researcher will figure out it's worth ______ and people will decide to stop throwing money away at this...

Though, a realistic theme park would have corporate logos everywhere. Sometimes I dislike the 21st century.

Qupakoco, Slanputin and Iskander like this.
  14. Iskander
    Chameleon Skink

Iskander Active Member

Actually, I did like how they lampooned that during the movie. I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it, but the subject did come up.

15. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

Tis what I meant by some being "integrated" :p although I feel that was more of a justification than anything else.

Iskander likes this.
  16. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Companies do it because it is worth it for them to do so and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Agreed... that's why it doesn't stand out that much for me.

17. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

ASSASSIN_NR_1 Well-Known Member

I saw the movie the other day. personally I think it was the best Jurassic park movie.
    The special effects were better, giving more immersion.
    There was a fine little explanation to why the dinosaurs does not neccesarily look exactly like they should if they were to follow the latest discoveries.
    And DINOSAURS!, and most of all: ALBINO DINOSAUR!

But of course there are different opinions as always, which is good, else there would be no discussions :)

Iskander likes this.
  18. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

Also, this

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  19. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Interesting.

20. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

I wish GW would do that for WHFB... :(

I enjoyed the new movie. I appreciate that the T-Rex is still king, as it always should be. I've always hated that it didn't get any respect in the 3rd one.

Slanputin likes this.