1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just back form the Chaos Wastes....

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Dancing with Saurus2, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Dancing with Saurus2
    Saurus

Dancing with Saurus2 Member

Hello all!

It’s been a long time since I last posting anything on Lustria. I’ve been keeping abreast of what’s been going put it’s been very Chameleon-esque and from the shadows. I’ve been plugging away at my army which is comfortably 2000 points now - although my victories have been rarer than would be liked. Most of my battles have been pretty close and I’ve only been completely thrashed once. I’ve mostly been playing against HEs but now that my army is pretty balanced victories will hopefully come more easily. Dark Elves will be my main opponents from here on in. :rage:

My original PLOG can be found here:
    http://www.lustria-online.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10093

Please find below a fairly random selection of photos that I’ve been able to take off my phone.

Stephanie the Ancient Stegadon: My army’s top performer!

IMAG0084_zps245c634a.jpg

IMAG0012_zps68063ac5.jpg

IMAG0074_zps7a200c93.jpg

Bruce the Ripperdactyl: Psycho-frenzied attacks galore!

IMAG0003_zps002dfd2e.jpg

Orange is the colour of magic:

IMAG0004_zps4907ddbb.jpg

The team in action: two decisive confrontations resulting in a great Lizzie victory!!:

Phoenix Guard!? What Phoenix guard?

IMAG0079_zps274078df.jpg

Oh look 'Purple Sun' failed ... now Saurus smash!!

IMAG0080_zpsa336a76e.jpg

Hopefully I'll be able to post some more photos before Christmas but if not have a very cold-blooded Christmas. May your Saurus grow strong on turkey and chocolate! :chicken:

2. sorrowquin
    Cold One

sorrowquin New Member

Fantastic work!

Love your painting, the colours, the style, everything!

3. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

wow Great looking army man. :smug: :jawdrop: :smug:

4. Kugelfang
    Saurus

Kugelfang Member

Love the color scheme and the style. I am quite jealous of your Stegadon as well. Great work all around.

5. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Caprasauridae Well-Known Member

Truly great stuff and awesome to have you back!

6. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

moar pictures of el stegs head. :jawdrop:

7. Dancing with Saurus2
    Saurus

As requested by Pinktaco. Some close-ups of my Steggie's head. The transition from the red to the white isn't very subtle but from a normal viewing angle it's hidden by the head carapace. I hate to think how long it took me to paint the Stegadon - it must have been 10s of hours. It's by far the largest model I've painted. Santa brought me a Carnosaur so expect pictures of that in November 2014 (at the rate I paint at anyhow)

head1_zps8cd29450.jpg

head2_zpsb523842c.jpg

8. Dancing with Saurus2
    Saurus

@n810 and @Kugelfang: Thanks for the kind words. The Stegadon has been something of a year long project which I've picked up at varios points. I've resisted the urge to rush anything to try and keep the standard consistent. It's easier said than done though.

@Caprasauridae: Thanks buddy it's good to be back!

9. Ondjage
    Razordon

Ondjage Member

Your stegadon is so darn beautiful. I want to be able to paint like that o_O

Are you an artist by profession? (not that it makes it any less impressive)

10. Dancing with Saurus2
    Saurus

Re: Just back form the Chaos Wastes.... PLOG

Hi Ondjage,

No I'm not a artist by profession (I wish!) I actually work for a tech firm. I nearly went into graphics/design when I left school but I decided to following what I considered a more academic route (rightly or wrongly ;) ). So these days painting models is my primary artistic output :) .

I have one more skink to paint for my stegadon and then it's complete. Although, I'm undecided whether to add the jeweled armour plate or the semi-circular engine of the God's piece to the back - they seem a little necessarily fancy imo.

Thanks for your kind words!

11. Dancing with Saurus2
    Saurus

Hello,

I thought I'd share with you some photos of my cold one riders. I'm actually pretty pleased with how they turned out (especially as they were painted quite early on) unfortunately they've been pretty mediocre in battle for me normally being shot up before I can get them near the enemy :depressed: . I'm looking forward to using them against my friend's DE light cavalry as I think they'd be quite effective at turning the screws on this type of unit.

I don't think anyone is particularly enamoured by the the cold one models themselves. They do look stupid (which is unfortunately apt), but my biggest problem is that they're very static looking. I think the riders themselves are fairly decent. To counter this I:

- stuck them in V shape as though they were starting to charge
    - stuck heads at different angles
    - added some rocks to mix things up
    - even had one jumping to add a height difference

My aim was to try and get some movement and variety into the riders to make them look a bit more dynamic. I like the idea of the cold one riders being slightly crazy Saurus (a bit like a biker gang - a little wild and care free) with brighter colours and more individuality.

- Different coloured shields, head carapace's, saddle cloths
    - poses which inspired movement such as throwing spears
    - I changed the of the Temple Guard shield used for the champion to make it look like he was gesturing with it rather than it just being stuck to his chest
    - The standard is angled forward as though following the momentum of the charge

Pictures to follow:

fea2306a-bab1-429e-99a6-8846d22e427f_zps9a422934.jpg

8c3ac3aa-8e0a-4e79-a1a1-21743363f168_zpse6d9f733.jpg

IMAG0105_zps35cfe107.jpg

bf624f80-981e-4147-8cb0-6944a14a1d47_zps19a37be1.jpg

IMAG0109_zpsc74df2d9.jpg

Apologies the photos are a little washed out looking ...

I'm thinking of adding the scar-vet on cold-one model and giving him a white cold one - might be quite cool.

Thanks,
    DWS

12. sorrowquin
    Cold One

sorrowquin New Member

Wow, you really managed to make them look dynamic and a lot less stupid, love it!

And the paintjob is awesome as always :)

13. Dancing with Saurus2
    Saurus

Thanks sorrowquin and apologies for the late response. I didn't intend to leave it so long before my next post. It seems like the cold one models are something we're going to have to live with for the foreseeable future. What I'd really like is a decent scar vet on cold one model!! There's always converting one I suppose. :)

14. Dancing with Saurus2
    Saurus

Hi Everyone,

It's been a while since I last posted on the old plog (but then it always is) so here's an update on what I've been working on recently. In a gaming sense I'm now losing to Dark Elves. My mate has been writing battle reports which I should post a link to really - apparently they're sympathetic to my cause. They don't really make good reading from a Lizardmen perspective though. I have an idea that might improve my fortunes in future games, if not into my favour, then at least I should have a a fighting chance.

More excitingly I'm taking part in Warhammer Battle Brothers next month at Warhammer World. Really looking forward to it. I'm paired with Dwarves which is a pretty good match really even if it lacks a bit of dynamism.
    My army list discussion can be found here:

http://www.lustria-online.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14348

You've already seen one of these guys but here's the finished unit. I'm really pleased with how these turned out. I think they're my favourite unit in the army (excluding my Stegadon). The paint job is pretty similar to the GW ones and i did use aspects of the White Dwarf paint tutorial and I think they came out well. I'm starting to create movement bases for my units and they are well worth the effort I think the make the units look great.

RIPERDACTYLS:

84237ca2-1c27-49ee-aff7-2f50119eadcd_zps83187ed8.jpg

IMAG0130_zps5bc344e6.jpg

IMAG0129_zpscb6c3979.jpg

Apologies for the photo it's not really showing them at their best. I quite like the Razordon models (even if they're pretty limited) and I've tried to paint them in such a way that I can double them up as Salamanders. I've used them in one game and while not spectacular I thought they were effective. I was surprised at how good they are in combat and they added a bit of steel to one flank.

Update 11/04/14: Now ... I don't think I consciously ripped off Zwuppie's Razors but clearly there is a strong resemblance :oops: . Clearly it was the will of the Old Ones! ;) To aussage the situation here's a link to Zwuppie's fab PLOG --> http://www.lustria-online.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8620&start=10
    Loving his work! :D

RAZORDONS:

791f923a-b643-4bfb-9de6-242b9a0cecc0_zps12f1c3b8.jpg

I love the new priest model but it's a pain in the backside to paint (v. fiddly). I'm getting there though and actually I've nearly finished him. This photo is a few days old but gives you a good idea where things were headed.
    SKINK PRIEST (Work in progress):

fade03d9-4845-4822-9f26-19ce076aa592_zps7dd318aa.jpg

Finally, say 'hello' to Basil. He's what I'm moving onto next and he needs to be completed before the 10th April. Quite a tight deadline for a slow painter with minimal time.

37dbe4e5-ba15-4d15-bf15-79b99892447d_zpsfbb4647f.jpg

All comments welcome! Cheers,

DWS

15. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Wow, Why didn't I think of that, using the flying stands is just brillinat,
    also I love the minor alteration to lean the standard that far forward,
    it really add the sense of forward movement, and the dark colors are great.
    icon_mrgreen_Skink-2.gif

16. Fhanados
    Terradon

Fhanados Well-Known Member

This is the first time I've seen your stuff, and it's absolutely stunning! I can't wait to see what you do with the bastilodon, something fantastic I assume.

17. Zwuppie
    Razordon

Zwuppie Member

I'm loving it! :)

18. Dancing with Saurus2
    Saurus

@n810: I was really clutching at anything that would make the cold ones look a bit different from each other. The models suffer in many ways and these problems they are similar to the Razordon and Salamander models where you're very limited on their poses. I think it would be easy to do a better job on the 'jumping' saurus but in a unit it doesn't look quite so much like he's floating.

@Fhanados: I sincerely hope so. I might have to paint a simplified version then go back to him later and add the detail due to time pressures. I was buying the paints for him yesterday as it happens as he'll be started this weekend. My inspiration is this sea turtle http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Loggerhead_Sea_turtle.jpg

Now there is no way Basil will come out looking like that - it would be mental!! I like the pale body (maybe a palid wych flesh with an agrax earthshade wash to darken it a little). Regarding the shell - the detail I particularly liked was the dark red banding on the edge of each scale (evident on the bottom 'large' scales in the pic). I might do something a bit like that using a similar technique to the markings on my Riperdactyl's wings. Probably more 'red' and less 'pink' though.

@Zwuppie: Thanks very much. I was looking at your painting log just now - I love the colour scheme. I then saw your Razordons and realised we've painted them exactly the same (almost) - great minds! I wonder whether I'd seen your pictures before and then subconsciously they've inspired me. I feel like I've ripped you off now and plagiarized your Razors! Clearly our Lizards must occupy similar parts of Lustria ;) .

I've added a link to your PLOG in the Razor's section. They've inspired on one level ... somehow.

19. Zwuppie
    Razordon

Zwuppie Member

Ha wel indeed, mine aren't finished yet, but when they are highlighted there aren't many differences!:)

20. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Caprasauridae Well-Known Member

The Ripperdactyls are amazing! I feel so inspired by them, I'll try something similar on the wings as you did, if you don't mind. Also, the turtle looks really cool, if you can mimic it even remotely, I think it will work really well! Though, I think Pallid Wych Flesh might be a bit too green-ish for that. Good luck with your painting and I can't wait to see more!